SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 18, 2007, 05:04 PM
I need a bigger garage...
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2005
1,294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yani
i just recieved my cub kit today, everything appears to be in great shape and will start building as soon as i get home. this is my second attempt at a kit, my frist being a fundango that ended prematurely when my cleaning lady smashed the wing i just finished building, but wow this cub seems 500x's better quality and 500x's easier to build. kinda worried about the covering, but i'll cross that bridge when its reached.

i'm planning on using an esskay 400xt and the recommended servo's. havent decided on a prop yet. only issue i have is that i have 6 3s2100mah lipo's and would really prefer not to buy something smaller. will this be toooooo heavy or will it be doable? if it'll ruin the models characteristics i guess i'll spring for some 3s1320mah's as i've been wanting a couple but i'd really like to use the 2100's. Brian, what do you think of using the 3s2100's? anyone tried it? if anything i'll give it a try and if it flies to heavy i'll get the lighter batteries.
Yani,

This was my first build and covering job. If you take your time, it's not as hard as it looks. I found a few threads on RCGroups with step by step tutorials on covering with Solite. One of them is http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52764.

I believe Mark flies his on a 400XT with an APC 8x3.8 slow fly prop, correct Mark? I tried this and it flew well on the clipped wing version with my 3S 1050mAh packs, but then I tried a GWS 8x6HD. Not much more amp draw, but faster and more thrust. Still flies well at low throttle settings, but it's fun to be able to crank it up now and then. (I don't fly pattern aerobatics, mine are more based on chaos theory...)

The clipped wing is quite a floater, and I imagine the full wing would be even more so. I don't think a couple of extra ounces will make much difference. One thing to look out for is the fit of the pack between the battery tray and the former. My CommonSenseRC 3S 1250mAh packs just barely fit and trying to pull them off the velcro without breaking anything can be a pain.

Andy
ajreynolds is offline Find More Posts by ajreynolds
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2007, 08:00 PM
Obviously I'm a "Minus Member"
USA, MA, Longmeadow
Joined Jun 2003
1,822 Posts
Andy, you are correct on my motor and prop set-up.

Mark
buzzltyr is online now Find More Posts by buzzltyr
Old Jul 10, 2007, 07:27 PM
Joined Jun 2007
12 Posts
Mountain Models J3 Cub Pics and Video

I posted this in another thread, but I think it belongs here as well...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...+models+J3+Cub

Also, here is a video of her first flights.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...+models+J3+Cub

Oh, a 2000MAh 2 cell Lipo is fine for scale flights. A three cell 1250 is fantastic for aerobatics!

Hope you enjoy. Let me know what you think
mmenden0824 is offline Find More Posts by mmenden0824
Old Aug 13, 2007, 04:18 PM
Lafayette, CA
Joined Aug 2002
2,714 Posts
Do you guys know if we will be seeing a MM super cub? I know it was in the pipeline, but haven't seen any updates.

-Jon
echoplanar is offline Find More Posts by echoplanar
Old Aug 13, 2007, 06:10 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,232 Posts
I've been waiting for the Super Cub as well. I got to fly Brian's clipped wing Cub at the Arizona Electric Festival back in January and it was sweet until electronic gremlins shortened the flight.

I wanted something with flaps and bought the Hyperion 25 size Cub to hold me over. As soon as Brian does his Super Cub I'll have to have one. It'll probably weigh a third of what the Hyperion does, cost half as much to outfit with electronics and look more scale. A must have for the hangar. He's getting the big SwitchBack ready right now so I'm not going to bug him about the Cub. Yet.....

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
Old Aug 13, 2007, 06:32 PM
Lafayette, CA
Joined Aug 2002
2,714 Posts
I am getting into the whole bush plane thing since I put some big wheels on the Minimag and started doing touch and goes off the dirt/gravel path we use as a runway. Now it's time to do something balsa and more scale.

-Jon
Old Aug 14, 2007, 09:30 AM
BYOP - Build Your Own Planes
United States, WI, Appleton
Joined Mar 2001
1,721 Posts
Well, I was going to do the L-4 first, and then the Super Cub. The L-4 is as simple as a new fuselage, so that part's cool. I hope to have the L-4 at NEAT, though it depends on how fast the other projects go.

On the Super Cub, the early versions used the same fuselage, bigger engine, different cowling, balanced elevators, obviously flaps, and a couple other minor things.

I don't think I want to skip the balancd elevators, so it's probably going to be a completely separate kit instead of just a new wing and cowling on the J-3 fuselage. But then again, I could always put the stab and elevator replacement parts in the wing kit for it, but that could be confusing.

Brian
Mountain Models is offline Find More Posts by Mountain Models
Old Aug 14, 2007, 10:32 AM
Lafayette, CA
Joined Aug 2002
2,714 Posts
Thank you for the reply and update. I am happy to hear a super cub is still in the pipeline.

-Jon
Old Aug 21, 2007, 08:41 PM
Joined Oct 2006
18 Posts
So what is the covering your all using? I dont like to see through the covering. What would be the best covering that is solid (non transparent)

Great thread btw
Yes im a newbie.
mdl76 is offline Find More Posts by mdl76
Old Aug 21, 2007, 10:07 PM
BYOP - Build Your Own Planes
United States, WI, Appleton
Joined Mar 2001
1,721 Posts
I used So-Lite on both the Cub and Clipped-Cub on the web site, but it is slightly translucent in the sun. The heaviest covering to use would be Solarfilm, which should be opaque enough.

Brian
Mountain Models is offline Find More Posts by Mountain Models
Old Aug 21, 2007, 11:38 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,301 Posts
Solarfilm is a great film..

I have used the yellow on a Cub that is smaller than the Mountain Models kit..

Jeff
www.CommonSenseRC.com
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Aug 24, 2007, 06:46 AM
Joined Oct 2006
675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojoe
I wanted something with flaps and bought the Hyperion 25 size Cub to hold me over. As soon as Brian does his Super Cub I'll have to have one. It'll probably weigh a third of what the Hyperion does, cost half as much to outfit with electronics and look more scale.
I'm going to get the MM J-3 myself. I got the Hyperion 25e "Bush Cub" too. I built it. Got it all ready to fly. Weighed it...

...and almost fell over backwards. A 55" wingspan J3 that weighs over 3 pounds??? Forget it! I know how this brick is going to fly. Also, it just doesn't look right. I can't quite put my finger on it but the proportions just don't look correct. Either the windows are too small or the fuselage is too tall or the nose is too long or something. It just doesn't look right. I've decided I just don't like it. Anyway, I'm done with Chinese "bARF's"!

I'm ordering the MM J-3 today but any idea when the Super Cub will be out? I'll get one of those too!
gsk11740 is offline Find More Posts by gsk11740
Old Aug 24, 2007, 09:41 AM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsk11740
Also, it just doesn't look right. I can't quite put my finger on it but the proportions just don't look correct. Either the windows are too small or the fuselage is too tall or the nose is too long or something. It just doesn't look right. I've decided I just don't like it.
Yeh, I agree.. The MM is much more scale looking.. I wonder if we could talk Steve into a 65" version..
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Aug 24, 2007, 09:51 AM
Joined Oct 2006
675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram
Yeh, I agree.. The MM is much more scale looking.. I wonder if we could talk Steve into a 65" version..
I still have the 80" Page Super Cub I haven't built yet!!! I swear I'll get it eventually. Problem is I don't have anyplace to fly anything that big so there isn't much motivation to build it. The "25e" sized planes are really too big for my little field (another reason I haven't flown the Hyperion Cub).
gsk11740 is offline Find More Posts by gsk11740
Old Aug 24, 2007, 10:06 AM
Lafayette, CA
Joined Aug 2002
2,714 Posts
super cub....I'd love to see one 50-60"....flaps, etc...that will be a fun project. I am going to attempt the AP 80" cub but I don't know if it will fit in the car without a wing mod.

-Jon