HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 18, 2007, 08:07 AM
FLY NAVY!
Clinton, TN
Joined Oct 2003
688 Posts
Tommy,
Plane looks great.
Where did you get your graphics (lightening bolts and N numbers)?

Duke
Seawolf 24 is offline Find More Posts by Seawolf 24
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 27, 2007, 05:26 PM
Joined Feb 2006
307 Posts
Just an update here, was out flying the cub last weekend with a 9x6 SF and 2100 2 cell, stayed up in the air 30 minutes. Thats the longest flight time I have had to date with any plane. Charged that bat and it took back 1700 mA, could have gone another 5 minutes easy.

I also put an APC 8x4 E prop on it and switched to a 1320 3 cell, talk about over powered It was funny watching the cub do vertical climbs
service_dude is offline Find More Posts by service_dude
Old Apr 27, 2007, 08:19 PM
BYOP - Build Your Own Planes
United States, WI, Appleton
Joined Mar 2001
1,724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by service_dude
... 2100 2 cell, stayed up in the air 30 minutes. ... it took back 1700 mA...
I still think it's funny that a 48" plane is flying on an average of 25 watts
I don't remember what your AUW was, but probably works out to 25 watts/pound average... I love it!

Brian
Mountain Models is offline Find More Posts by Mountain Models
Old Apr 27, 2007, 08:39 PM
ARF Hater Club
Toronto, Ontario
Joined May 2004
2,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seawolf 24
Tommy,
Plane looks great.
Where did you get your graphics (lightening bolts and N numbers)?

Duke
I printed off Biran's PDF graphics and cut them out of black Coverall. Worked great.
tommyeflight89 is offline Find More Posts by tommyeflight89
Old Apr 28, 2007, 08:33 AM
FLY NAVY!
Clinton, TN
Joined Oct 2003
688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by service_dude
Just an update here, was out flying the cub last weekend with a 9x6 SF and 2100 2 cell, stayed up in the air 30 minutes. Thats the longest flight time I have had to date with any plane. Charged that bat and it took back 1700 mA, could have gone another 5 minutes easy.

I also put an APC 8x4 E prop on it and switched to a 1320 3 cell, talk about over powered It was funny watching the cub do vertical climbs
Dude,
I guess you're liking that Welgard motor!
Is that 9x6 APC? What's the weight of your 2s 2100?
My Cub has about 2 weeks (or more) to completion, believe it or not.

Happy flying,

Duke
Old Apr 28, 2007, 08:43 AM
FLY NAVY!
Clinton, TN
Joined Oct 2003
688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyeflight89
I printed off Biran's PDF graphics and cut them out of black Coverall. Worked great.
OK, then, that's what I'll do;
Guess I'm just too cheap to send my $20 to Callie Graphics

Duke
Old Apr 28, 2007, 03:38 PM
Old F-4 Crewchief
Schertz, Texas, United States
Joined May 2004
1,280 Posts
Need some help here. I finished covering the wing last week and put it aside. Last night I realized that it was warped. Must of got in too much of a hurry or wasn't paying attention. Probably both. How do I fix this? Do I have to totally recover the wing? Or is it ok the way it is although ackward looking? I used So-lite.
Thanks. Rick
fuzzyhead is online now Find More Posts by fuzzyhead
Old Apr 28, 2007, 04:58 PM
Obviously I'm a "Minus Member"
USA, MA, Longmeadow
Joined Jun 2003
1,836 Posts
Rick, I'd try straightening it out with heat. Simply twist it back to shape, and use your covering iron or a heat gun to reshrink the covering. It might take a couple of tries to get it to stay, permanently. Just gentle twisting and reshrinking. Also, when you install the wing with the struts, they will help take some of the twist out as well. But I'd try to get the two sides to match with the twist/reshrink method, first.

Mark
buzzltyr is online now Find More Posts by buzzltyr
Old Apr 29, 2007, 09:47 AM
Old F-4 Crewchief
Joined May 2004
1,280 Posts
Thanks Mark. I'll give those suggestions a try first.
Rick
Old Apr 29, 2007, 10:20 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
With Solite the twist-and-reshrink approach is dead easy. Just be careful with that heatgun such that you don't burn a hole and you'll do fine.

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old Apr 29, 2007, 11:04 AM
Mountain Models Wannabe
Ithaca, NY USA
Joined Mar 2001
4,371 Posts
Rick,

As Martin and Mark said, removing the warp is easy. Here is how I do it: Hold the wing so that I can twist it in the desired direction. Just twist a bit. Look at the wrinkles as you carefully pass the heat gun over it. The wrinkes will change as the film heats. when you see the wrinkes change, stop heating. Keep holding the twist while giving the film a chance to cool. Letgo of the twist and check your work.

The trick is to go slowly and not try to get all the twist out at once. Two or three passes should get you there. You don't want to twist so hard that you end up with a twist the other way. I find it easier to ease into it.

When you are done, let the wing set overnight and check again the next day to see if some twist didn't creep back in.

Doug
CoClimber is offline Find More Posts by CoClimber
Last edited by CoClimber; Apr 29, 2007 at 11:10 AM.
Old Apr 29, 2007, 01:23 PM
Old F-4 Crewchief
Joined May 2004
1,280 Posts
Thanks fellas. That did the trick. Have a "slight" amount of wing tip rise but the wing struts will take care of that.

Another question will I'm here. I'm using the recommended GWS b/l motor. The screws that came with the motor are too short to reach through the ply motor mount. My intention was to use the adapter that came with the motor then screw that to the motor mount. Am I missing anything or this does seem to be the right path?
Old May 06, 2007, 09:06 AM
Old F-4 Crewchief
Joined May 2004
1,280 Posts
Ok, I'm heading toward the finish line. Got the wing warp removed as well as a little fuselage warp. Found longer screws for the motor mount. My hopefully last predicament is the cowl. With the cowl firmly installed, I'm about 1/4"-3/8" short of allowing the motor shaft to stick out far enough to attach the prop. I'm using the GWS -15 b/l motor. The instructions do not say anything about trimming the aft end of the cowl to allow it to slide on further. This seems like the obvious answer assuming the cowl opening is still wide enough to slide over the fuselage. I'd figure I would ask first before trimming it.
Rick

Another option would be to put a spacer behind the motor mount. Any suggestions here?
Last edited by fuzzyhead; May 06, 2007 at 12:25 PM.
Old May 06, 2007, 12:55 PM
ARF Hater Club
Toronto, Ontario
Joined May 2004
2,660 Posts
I would say put a spacer behind the motor without messing up the thrust lines. Cutting the cowl may look funny.
What about putting three spacers between the firewall and motor mount, like where the screws are. I would get a pen or something and cut it into 3 identical pieces and slide them over the screws that hold the motor mount to the firewall, you may need longer screws though. As long as the back of the mount is parallel to the firewall your good.
tommyeflight89 is offline Find More Posts by tommyeflight89
Old May 06, 2007, 08:03 PM
Joined Dec 2003
186 Posts
Anyone have a new movies of this cub in action?
Doogman is offline Find More Posts by Doogman