HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 30, 2007, 07:40 AM
ARF Hater Club
Toronto, Ontario
Joined May 2004
2,660 Posts
I have realized that too. The wing is very 'twistable' in it's long axis. My P-51 was like that too, but after covering proved to be strong enough.
I still need to get covering for mine, the place I usually get my Solite from has every colour but yellow!
tommyeflight89 is offline Find More Posts by tommyeflight89
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 31, 2007, 03:53 PM
FLY NAVY!
Clinton, TN
Joined Oct 2003
688 Posts
Is anybody putting in any wing washout? If so, how much?

Thanks,

Duke
Seawolf 24 is offline Find More Posts by Seawolf 24
Old Mar 31, 2007, 05:18 PM
Obviously I'm a "Minus Member"
USA, MA, Longmeadow
Joined Jun 2003
1,836 Posts
Seawolf, when I was building mine I put in about 1/8" or less of washout (just eyeballed, no real measurement). Brian didn't put any in his prototype, and I don't think he felt it needed any. I think it is probably just a "comfort level" thing. I always try to put some washout in my high wing models, so I did with the Cub as well.

Mark
buzzltyr is offline Find More Posts by buzzltyr
Old Apr 01, 2007, 07:06 AM
FLY NAVY!
Clinton, TN
Joined Oct 2003
688 Posts
1/8 " I guess is around 2-3*. I'll put that in, especially since my J3 is doomed (!) to have floats eventually, upping the weight and wing loading. A tip stall would be the last thing I need over water!
Thanks Mark.

Duke
Old Apr 01, 2007, 11:16 AM
ARF Hater Club
Toronto, Ontario
Joined May 2004
2,660 Posts
I got some covering for my Cyb and started to cover it. I used Aerokote Lite Cub Yellow from my LHS. It's going really well so far, the colour is very nice.
Old Apr 09, 2007, 09:24 PM
BYOP - Build Your Own Planes
United States, WI, Appleton
Joined Mar 2001
1,724 Posts
Duke,

I actually never put washout in the Cub wing. It didn't have any bad habits without it, so I figured it was fine. I don't think I've actually tip stalled it yet either, but I haven't flown it at anything over 18 ounces. The 18 ounces was with an extra 4 oz battery pack installed, but not used, other than ballast, LOL!

Brian
Mountain Models is offline Find More Posts by Mountain Models
Old Apr 10, 2007, 08:10 PM
ARF Hater Club
Toronto, Ontario
Joined May 2004
2,660 Posts
I am almost finished my Cub (minus a few details) and took her out for the mandatory taxi trials. My setup is pulling 80W max on a GWS 9x7 prop.
I set it on my street and tested out the turining for a bit. I then lined it up and advanced to 2/3 throttle and watched the tail come up and begin to climb. I let it get about 8" or so, and it just gracefully flew straight and level with no trim needed. It flew so nice and slow! This plane is going to be too much fun flying around the park with. I'll get some pics up later. Now the actual maiden is going to be simple.
Old Apr 10, 2007, 09:05 PM
Old F-4 Crewchief
Schertz, Texas, United States
Joined May 2004
1,280 Posts
Need a little help please. I am finishing up the fuselage and am a bit confused about the tail fillets. First, did I miss the picture that shows exactly where they go? Looked over the manual and the plans and can't seem to find a diagram that shows them in place. Secondly, where does the wood/material come from to make these? With the exception of the motor mounts, horns and mounts, my sheets are empty. I found a good picture on thread #272 of them installed. Looks like they are made of the same stuff as the sheeting on the top of the nose. Didn't throw any scraps away. Always keep everything until finished.
Thanks. Rick

By the way, Brian, did you get my email about the magnets?
fuzzyhead is offline Find More Posts by fuzzyhead
Old Apr 11, 2007, 07:00 AM
FLY NAVY!
Clinton, TN
Joined Oct 2003
688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyhead
Need a little help please. I am finishing up the fuselage and am a bit confused about the tail fillets. First, did I miss the picture that shows exactly where they go? Looked over the manual and the plans and can't seem to find a diagram that shows them in place. Secondly, where does the wood/material come from to make these? With the exception of the motor mounts, horns and mounts, my sheets are empty. I found a good picture on thread #272 of them installed. Looks like they are made of the same stuff as the sheeting on the top of the nose. Didn't throw any scraps away. Always keep everything until finished.
Thanks. Rick

By the way, Brian, did you get my email about the magnets?
The tail fillets are 3 laminated rectangular blocks, glued and sanded to shape; the 2 thicker ones were in a small parts bag, and the thinner outer ones were in a sheet, unlabled.
Don't forget to make a left and a right!

Duke
Old Apr 11, 2007, 06:50 PM
Old F-4 Crewchief
Joined May 2004
1,280 Posts
Thanks Duke. Once I got all the pieces together it all made sense. A little more orientation info on the page would help occasional builders like me. Hope to start on the wing assembly tonight. I'm actually building the clipped wing version but there appears to be more visitors on this thread when you need help.
Rick
Old Apr 12, 2007, 11:18 AM
I need a bigger garage...
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2005
1,296 Posts
A side note... I know there was interest in an L-4 model early in the thread. The March 2007 issue of Flying Scale Models has some scale drawings and a bunch of nice pictures of a full size L-4.

Andy
ajreynolds is offline Find More Posts by ajreynolds
Old Apr 16, 2007, 04:00 PM
ARF Hater Club
Toronto, Ontario
Joined May 2004
2,660 Posts
Got some pics of the completed and flown product.
I flew it on Saturday in a little wind. It flew very well, but I need to practice making nice, smooth turns with such a slow plane. I tended to over do it with the ailerons, causing a stall turn. I also want a little more power, so I'll try a 10" prop this time, I had a 9x7 on for the maiden. It lands beautifully! Just float it right in.
Last edited by tommyeflight89; Apr 16, 2007 at 04:06 PM.
Old Apr 16, 2007, 05:11 PM
Old F-4 Crewchief
Joined May 2004
1,280 Posts
Tommy,
Looks great. I just finished building the wing and am ready to start covering. Did you use a single piece for the top of the wing or do half at a time? Just wondering how noticable a seam down the center would be.
Rick
Old Apr 16, 2007, 05:18 PM
ARF Hater Club
Toronto, Ontario
Joined May 2004
2,660 Posts
The wing is covered in 4 pieces. Top left/right, bottom left/right. If you line it all up carefully, the seam cannot be noticed. It probably shows on mine because I used Aerokote Lite, which is quite thick. It has a white backing though, so it is fully opaque, which I like.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 11:46 AM
BYOP - Build Your Own Planes
United States, WI, Appleton
Joined Mar 2001
1,724 Posts
Tommy,

Make sure you have differential in your ailerons. It might be as much as 2:1. Adding some rudder in the turns also helps out if you don't have enough differential.

It looks prety good!

Brian
Mountain Models is offline Find More Posts by Mountain Models