HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2007, 08:31 AM
WAA-08 Survivor
Joined May 2004
2,631 Posts
Hi Duke, you keep confusing me by mentioning "Removable landing gear for floats".
All the float planes I have use the same front LG as the wheels do. The aft float gear I have attached to a hard point with a nylon screw. The aft wire gets a U shaped bend for a little ply/balsa sandwhich with a hole in the middle for the nylon screw.

Takes about 5 minutes to switch between floats/wheels.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. -Steve
Griffin is offline Find More Posts by Griffin
Last edited by Griffin; Feb 02, 2007 at 08:39 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2007, 09:02 AM
Joined Feb 2006
307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seawolf 24
Dude,
Awesome.
What's that at the "cross" of the LG struts; a real bungee device???
I've been thinking of trying that myself, rather than have them not connected at all.

Duke
Why yes it is, very observent. I made the bungees with self sealing rubber tape. At the cross I put a 3/16" wide, 1/2 inch loop of the tape.

Jerry.
service_dude is offline Find More Posts by service_dude
Old Feb 02, 2007, 09:10 AM
BYOP - Build Your Own Planes
United States, WI, Appleton
Joined Mar 2001
1,719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by service_dude
Why yes it is, very observent. I made the bungees with self sealing rubber tape. At the cross I put a 3/16" wide, 1/2 inch loop of the tape.
Dude,

I'll have to try that myself. Besides leaving it unhooked, I did use a rubber band wrapped over the center, painted black. It seemed to look OK, but not great.
Mountain Models is offline Find More Posts by Mountain Models
Old Feb 02, 2007, 05:16 PM
FLY NAVY!
Clinton, TN
Joined Oct 2003
688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin
Hi Duke, you keep confusing me by mentioning "Removable landing gear for floats".
All the float planes I have use the same front LG as the wheels do. The aft float gear I have attached to a hard point with a nylon screw. The aft wire gets a U shaped bend for a little ply/balsa sandwhich with a hole in the middle for the nylon screw.

Takes about 5 minutes to switch between floats/wheels.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. -Steve
That's sorta what I have for my GWS Tigermoth on floats.
But this J3 is a "scale" model. Very different setup.
Somebody here on RCG made a Molt Models Cessna w/ scale floats that is beautiful; that's what I want.
I am anticipating Brian's design for a J3 float kit, and I don't want to build a whole new fuse for them. Thus the removable LG ass'y.

Duke
Seawolf 24 is offline Find More Posts by Seawolf 24
Old Feb 02, 2007, 05:24 PM
FLY NAVY!
Clinton, TN
Joined Oct 2003
688 Posts
Quote:

Jerry.
Yep.
Don't have any self sealing rubber tape, but do have some 1/16 " stretchy thread-wrapped rubberish stuff (kinda like the elastic in your shorts and socks) that I have used for various purposes for models before. Seems to last forever (unlike rubber bands). I'll try that.

Duke
Old Feb 02, 2007, 07:25 PM
Joined Feb 2006
307 Posts
Did a run up on the motor today. 2 cell with a 9x4.7, 100 watts at 13amps. 2 cell with a 10x4.7, 130 watts at 17 amps. I'm think I'll get a 9x6 and give that a try. Need to get 8x4.7 to try for the 3 cell.
Old Feb 03, 2007, 06:36 AM
FLY NAVY!
Clinton, TN
Joined Oct 2003
688 Posts
Quote:
Did a run up on the motor today. 2 cell with a 9x4.7, 100 watts at 13amps. 2 cell with a 10x4.7, 130 watts at 17 amps. I'm think I'll get a 9x6 and give that a try. Need to get 8x4.7 to try for the 3 cell.
I like your 2s numbers with the 9x4.7, but I'm trying to stay with an 8" (scale) size prop; That Welgard 10t can draw 180 watts input on 3s and an APC 8x4e! Don't know what an 8x4.7 slow flyer would draw, but I suspect it would kill the motor at full throttle (see attached specs). Also the pitch speed would be kinda high, I think. That's why I'm using the APC 8x3.8 slow flyer prop; good draw, good pitch speed.
Got the cockpit and cabin (insides) painted school bus yellow last night.
Also fitted the LG strut "fillers". Just waiting for glue(s) to be really dry, and the LG will be (finally) done.

Duke
Old Feb 07, 2007, 07:14 AM
FLY NAVY!
Clinton, TN
Joined Oct 2003
688 Posts
Sorry about the blurriness; best this cam can do, I guess.
Removable MMJ3 landing gear:

Duke
Old Feb 07, 2007, 09:30 AM
Joined Feb 2006
307 Posts
Hey Duke, did you see this thread? This plane is the same size and weight as the Cub and you can purchase a balsa float kit for the plane. Their very pricey at $45.00 bucks but if you just have to have floats the look like they would do the job nicely. Just recover them to match your Cub. Just a thought.

Jerry
Old Feb 07, 2007, 10:01 AM
FLY NAVY!
Clinton, TN
Joined Oct 2003
688 Posts
Quote:
Hey Duke, did you see this thread? This plane is the same size and weight as the Cub and you can purchase a balsa float kit for the plane. Their very pricey at $45.00 bucks but if you just have to have floats the look like they would do the job nicely. Just recover them to match your Cub. Just a thought.

Jerry
I had not seen that. Food for thought, but I still want Brian to design a scale set. I can wait a while.
Thanks for the tip!

Duke
Old Feb 08, 2007, 12:15 AM
I need a bigger garage...
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2005
1,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seawolf 24
I like your 2s numbers with the 9x4.7, but I'm trying to stay with an 8" (scale) size prop; That Welgard 10t can draw 180 watts input on 3s and an APC 8x4e! Don't know what an 8x4.7 slow flyer would draw, but I suspect it would kill the motor at full throttle (see attached specs). Also the pitch speed would be kinda high, I think. That's why I'm using the APC 8x3.8 slow flyer prop; good draw, good pitch speed.
Got the cockpit and cabin (insides) painted school bus yellow last night.
Also fitted the LG strut "fillers". Just waiting for glue(s) to be really dry, and the LG will be (finally) done.

Duke
Another option that I like, and I think someone else mentioned it as well, is the SK400XT from Hobby Lobby. It's on sale for about $18 at the moment. My testing on a 3S and GWS 8x6HD draws 8.7A (93W) but gives a pitch speed of about 46mph and 16oz static thrust. On a 3S and 8x4HD it draws 6.5A (73.5W) and gives about 36mph and 10oz thrust. I don't know if it would quite cut it on 2S though, my best 2S test was with a 8x6HD drawing 5.5A (43W) giving 36.5mph and 8.6oz thrust.

Andy
ajreynolds is offline Find More Posts by ajreynolds
Old Feb 10, 2007, 09:33 AM
BYOP - Build Your Own Planes
United States, WI, Appleton
Joined Mar 2001
1,719 Posts
Mark uses the 400XT, a 3S LiPo, and an 8x4.3 APC SF Prop on his. He usually flies around 1/3 throttle with a bit more for taking off. It sounds like he was very happy with that system setup.

Brian
Mountain Models is offline Find More Posts by Mountain Models
Old Feb 10, 2007, 09:54 AM
Obviously I'm a "Minus Member"
USA, MA, Longmeadow
Joined Jun 2003
1,779 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eberwein
Mark uses the 400XT, a 3S LiPo, and an 8x4.3 APC SF Prop on his. He usually flies around 1/3 throttle with a bit more for taking off. It sounds like he was very happy with that system setup.

Brian
Yup! The Cub flies very, very well on this system. I'm using a 3S 800mAh battery, and everything is cool when I land. But still has plenty of oomph for anything you want to do. I just checked and the prop is an APC SF 8x3.8. The 400xt radial mounts perfectly to the short outrunner mount. No extensions, etc. needed. Really a "no-brainer" installation, and inexpensive as well.

Mark
buzzltyr is online now Find More Posts by buzzltyr
Old Feb 10, 2007, 02:21 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Have there been any additional videos of this Cub posted anywhere besides what's up on the Mountain Models site? I glanced through this thread but didn't see anything, however I may have looked past them.

Thanks

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old Feb 12, 2007, 06:20 PM
Joined Feb 2006
307 Posts
I'm still waiting on a maiden flight here. Weather is suppose to start getting warmer here in a few weeks. They are saying close to 40 by the end of next week.