SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by RayH, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 05, 2006, 02:29 PM
Tuskegee Airmen; My Heros
Check the Bloq
Joined May 2002
1,494 Posts
Discussion
Pt Fermin!

Pt. Fermin;

My home site for slope soaring, one of the most talked about locations on the West Coast for getting in some of the best slope soaring anywhere is become a filth haven! The Fermin I knew of old was “territorial” at worst as most surfing and true sloping sites are, but Pt. Fermin was never unapproachable to non-local flyers, there was never the element of vile and profane gestures. Fermin was where you went to cut your teeth, where you went to strut your stuff, where you went to do your best, and be respected for trying. Fermin was where you went, just so that you can say, “I flew there”. Planes at Fermin had as much grass flying as it did air time once. Pt. Fermin made you proud to say that you got past the launch, and that you survived the landing.
NO LONGER. There is now a very small but loud group of “people” that have chosen to rebel-ize the flying area. This small group has chose alcohol consumption,
pot smoking and whatever else, things that do not make for a fun, clean and safe environment while calling themselves slope flyers. Shame on them all!

I personally will step up to bat, and will not continue to watch my home site degrade at the hands of a few “people”. They are all on notice as of now. Be it the double edge sword that it is, I will take the high road on this issue. I will make frequent trips to Fermin now to fly or not, and if the same small group of people want to continue on with their past actions, then they will have local law enforcement to answer to, at my beconing
I love Fermin, It means more to me than just the flying, it’s the friends I have met over the years, it’s the park that I have taken my Daughter to over a hundred times, it’s the Festivals I have attended there, the fodds from The Taste of San Pedro, the Movie Site locations on and on, And that’s the way I plan to remember it, and hopefully have it remembered by any one else that may come to visit as well.

I know I am not alone in my thoughts and I take your support, vocal or silent.

Stay safe, stay tuned, and return for updates.
Ray
RayH is offline Find More Posts by RayH
Last edited by RayH; Sep 05, 2006 at 05:20 PM. Reason: grammer-ish
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2006, 06:24 PM
Angels Camp, California
Joined Jan 2006
922 Posts
Go get 'em Ray!

I'd do the same for my sites. Its not just you. We are all along for only a while. We have to keep things going in a reasonable way so that others may come after us and enjoy what we did. Too much snobby, clicky crap in this world. Fight it wherever it shows up.
LannyG
LannyG is offline Find More Posts by LannyG
Old Sep 06, 2006, 01:03 AM
Joined Apr 2006
161 Posts
A nobel cause indeed.... more folks should be as courageous. I wish you the best of luck!
NorCalPilot is offline Find More Posts by NorCalPilot
Old Sep 06, 2006, 02:38 PM
Der Haifisch!! R.I.P.
Fallbrook, California, United States
Joined Jul 2003
2,226 Posts
I am with you 100% on this one Ray... Those people will ruin a one of a kind place for the rest of us.. as many of the regulars there know, Bill L and I drive a long ways on a semi regular basis to enjoy your slope. We always treat the locals with respect, with the notable exception being the "night flying" locals who have taken offense to my repeated warnings about the dangers of alcohol/drugs and flying at night... I spoke with a couple of LAPD sergeants when I was there Sunday, and they were intrigued by what we do there... but that friendliness will be gone in an instant when someone sues the city and the pilot when they are hit by a plane at night flown by someone who in all honesty will probably try to "hit and run"... Fermin regulars need to regulate, not to get rid of foam as these guys claim... but to keep the site open for generations to come...

BD
BeeDee is offline Find More Posts by BeeDee
Closed Thread