HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 05, 2006, 09:27 AM
Joined Sep 2006
5 Posts
Help!
A first RC plane? (balsa and styro construction) need clear plans!!!

Hello!
A few days I had an idea to build a Little Extra from these instructions http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ns#post1650046
but now I'm a liittle bit confused because it looks like it's not a good first model and there will be much trouble with speed because it has to much wing load.

The thing that was the purpose of this choice was the way the plans and instructions look....they are very clear!

It's important to me because I'm not a very experienced builder but I want to build the plane myself (without bying a kit:P)

And there is the point:
Have You got any plans of building a good trainer with a wing span about
90-100cm, for a speed 400 motor, with 4 channel steering (elevator,ailerons,rudder, motor rpm)?????
Aha...I would like to build it the same way the little extra is done:
balsa construction of fuslage and wing cores made of styro!

If You find someting that wood be useful for me please give me a link or send it to my e-mail patryk@profnet.pl I'll be very pleased because i was looking for plans many hours in the internet and i can't find anything suitable

Thanks for all!
BW
zbuffer is offline Find More Posts by zbuffer
Last edited by zbuffer; Sep 05, 2006 at 05:15 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2006, 09:40 AM
Joined Sep 2006
5 Posts
And one thing more... Do You use MotoCalc? is it reliable?
thanks
zbuffer is offline Find More Posts by zbuffer
Last edited by zbuffer; Sep 05, 2006 at 05:39 PM.
Old Sep 06, 2006, 09:19 PM
pd1
United States, MA, Haverhill
Joined Jun 2006
2,155 Posts
If this is going to be your first plane, and ARF trainer would be the easiest way to go.
If not then an established kit trainer would be my next suggestion.
Making a plane from plans is quite a bit more involved, it's a lot easier if you have some experience first before tackeling one. Most of the people here seem to think a slow stick is a good first plane, check out the threads, or post one looking for a trainer plane. If you are still determined for a plans built I'll see what I can get you.
check out this thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=566066
pd1 is online now Find More Posts by pd1
Old Sep 07, 2006, 10:44 AM
soar-ne
omaha ne
Joined May 2005
766 Posts
Z:
Go down to the Scratchbuild Foamy section There is a sticky at the top with all kinds of plans of proven great flyers. Everything from trainers to 3D and everything in-between. Go to lowes and get insulation foam and take off!!!!!!!!!!
Good Luck
Bob
soar-ne is offline Find More Posts by soar-ne
Old Sep 08, 2006, 07:59 PM
WAA-08 Survivor
Joined May 2004
2,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbuffer
Hello!
It's important to me because I'm not a very experienced builder but I want to build the plane myself (without bying a kit:P)
Thanks for all!
BW

Not real sure what you want, build the plane yourself but not a kit? Do you mean scratch build from plans? It doesn't sound like you want an ARF, which is certainly a good idea. I would steer you to a kit though.

You have lots of choices. The Stevensaero SQuiRT would be my #1 suggestion, as it builds fast and is very crash resistent. The Mini-Telemaster is what I built and learned on, and it even flies better, but is a harder build.
You might look at Molt Models tyro too. Stevensaero Stik is the easiest 4 channel kit of all to build, if you don't mind a plane with-out a body.
Mountain models Smoothy has a foam wing like you mention and balsa body.

Good call not to learn on the little extra, though if built well you will be ready to fly it soon. Don't let the foamy and arf guys talk you out of building if that is what you want to do.

Good luck, Steve
Griffin is offline Find More Posts by Griffin
Old Sep 08, 2006, 10:32 PM
United States, NJ, Monroe Township
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
If you want to scratch build your first plane, it is going to be a little bit hard. When I say a little bit hard, I mean really hard. First of all, you probably won't know what half the stuff is. Second of all, if you have no experience building a plane from scratch, there is no way you would be able to build it. There is plenty of arf planes out there that are really really good. For example, the gws slow stick (which I personally hate) which a really lot of people say it is good. Arf planes still take a long time to build if you are new to rc airplanes. Also one much similar to the gws slow stick, the gws tigermoth. It looks sooooooooo much better than the slow stick. It is a biplane, but it flies just as good as the slow stick. It is only about 5 dollars more than the slow stick. Anyways, good luck on finding or building a plane

Once again, I wouldn't reccommend building your own rc airplane from scratch.

Bill
BD Flyer is offline Find More Posts by BD Flyer
Old Sep 08, 2006, 10:51 PM
S. Calif.
Joined Mar 2005
255 Posts
I would recommend against building your first plane, unless you have someone who can provide a lot of guidance, especially with setup and teaching you to fly. Otherwise I'd recommend getting a tough trainer like RTF like an Easy-Star or T-Hawk, which will get you in the air quickly and survive the inevitable crashes. Also get a simulator of some sort, if only FMS. Have fun and good luck!

Philip
philipnow is offline Find More Posts by philipnow