SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 04, 2006, 02:43 PM
PROFESSOR TRUTH JIMMY ICE
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
6,705 Posts
Question
Question about HORS... Has anyone used one of the 1/9 scale Revell models?

...to update the look of their HOR?

I was talking to Ray Rugles at the Superbike challenge yesterday, and he said that he had seen some guys use models to update their HORs to more modern-looking bikes... Revell makes a 1/9 scale RC211V and some Ducatis...
I was wondering if anyone else had seen this in their travels...and which ones fit the best if you had...

Thanks
Akura2 is offline Find More Posts by Akura2
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2006, 11:18 PM
Joined Jan 2006
146 Posts
i found this pic i don't know what the bodywork came from but it looks good

rob
gsxrrob is offline Find More Posts by gsxrrob
Old Sep 05, 2006, 01:12 AM
Joined Sep 2003
6,705 Posts
that looks like an RC211V... hmmm.... (edit:...oops... it says Yamaha right on it....duh)

anybody?... Beuller?
Last edited by Akura2; Sep 05, 2006 at 11:01 AM.
Old Sep 05, 2006, 01:41 AM
Any thing nitro
NORTHRIDGE CA
Joined Jan 2006
1,186 Posts
HMMMMM is right. That thing is sweet!
HOT ROD LOCAL is offline Find More Posts by HOT ROD LOCAL
Old Sep 05, 2006, 10:54 AM
Joined Sep 2003
6,705 Posts
I don't think it's a converted model... i think someone actually modded the original parts.... look at the front bottom of the fairing... it looks like the standard HOR front.... I actually HAVE a 1/9 scale RC211V from Italeri.... but I can't find my HOR (just moved) to try it on.... as soon as I find it I'm going to see how much modding is needed to make it fit.... too bad they don't make 1/8 or 1/7 scale superbike models.... it's easier to cut and shut than it is to expand....

Hey Ian... where are you?

Since you are the HOR master and Ray doesn't frequent these forums, you are the next in line.....
Old Sep 05, 2006, 11:34 AM
Joined Jan 2006
146 Posts
[QUOTE=Akura2]I don't think it's a converted model... i think someone actually modded the original parts=QUOTE]

i think your right the faring looks like a modded nsr let me know if the Italeri model works i want a new body for my hor
i've been reading up on vac forming i might try make my own as i need bodywork for my 1/12 project as well

rob
Old Sep 05, 2006, 01:04 PM
RCMCC.tripod.com
Fremont, CA
Joined Sep 2003
2,335 Posts
See the GP Replica pics thread. I posted the Rossi conversion there.

It's all being done in Hong Kong. They say it's very hard to do, takes a lot of modeling and stregthening work to mount it on.

I think I will purchase a kit to make a shelf queen. Jimmy, where'd you get the kit?

Ian
grymg is offline Find More Posts by grymg
Old Sep 05, 2006, 02:55 PM
RCMCC.tripod.com
Fremont, CA
Joined Sep 2003
2,335 Posts
Just did a google search and found the kits:

Italeri $34
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXNGT3

Revell $54
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...7&I=LXLNA6&P=K
grymg is offline Find More Posts by grymg
Old Sep 05, 2006, 07:12 PM
Post Falls, ID United States
Joined Feb 2004
4,373 Posts
The HOR's are taller in proportion to real GP bikes. I have about 6 kits in 1/9 scale of different bikes from Protar, Italieri like; M1 04, MV F4, ZX7-RR, Foggy 996, RC211V, 916 models. I made a Honda/Suzuki stock body set in to a 91 Rainey Yamaha replica once. But the problem is still the same thing the HOR is taller than real bikes so you have to fudge the design like you do for touring car bodies.

Chris

PS the best thing you guys can do that have infinite time on your hands is take a scale 1/9 model and re-proportion it for the HOR and make a master model then cast a tool to have vac formed.
Chris Nicastro is offline Find More Posts by Chris Nicastro
Old Sep 05, 2006, 09:19 PM
Joined Sep 2003
6,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Nicastro
The HOR's are taller in proportion to real GP bikes. I have about 6 kits in 1/9 scale of different bikes from Protar, Italieri like; M1 04, MV F4, ZX7-RR, Foggy 996, RC211V, 916 models. I made a Honda/Suzuki stock body set in to a 91 Rainey Yamaha replica once. But the problem is still the same thing the HOR is taller than real bikes so you have to fudge the design like you do for touring car bodies.

Chris

PS the best thing you guys can do that have infinite time on your hands is take a scale 1/9 model and re-proportion it for the HOR and make a master model then cast a tool to have vac formed.

Ya.. not only are they taller than real bikes.. the models are also 1/9 versus 1/8 so the HORs are taller and overall larger... I'd love to get some updated bodywork on my HOR... I wish Kyosho would just do it... the bikes have been around long enough... and they are popular enough that they just won't kill the line... they should just get off their collective butts and update the plastics......

do you have a pic of that replica you did?

and did you make a vac mold of it?
Old Sep 05, 2006, 11:20 PM
Joined Sep 2003
6,705 Posts
I gotta find my HOR... (the wife and I moved recently)... after the race this past weekend I've got the itch to run it again....

Ian and Ray were so fast with theirs!
Old Sep 05, 2006, 11:39 PM
Joined Jan 2006
146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Nicastro
thats exactly what i was thinking of trying to do i've got more time than most people to mess around with.if anyone has info on vac forming please post here i know a fair bit but the more i learn the better the bodies will be.
volvo driver vs bike rider= compo payout,disability pension,new house and bikes and too much free time

thanks rob
Old Sep 06, 2006, 12:15 AM
Joined Sep 2003
6,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrrob
thats exactly what i was thinking of trying to do i've got more time than most people to mess around with.if anyone has info on vac forming please post here i know a fair bit but the more i learn the better the bodies will be.
volvo driver vs bike rider= compo payout,disability pension,new house and bikes and too much free time

thanks rob

I lost a battle with a Volvo too... I wonder what's with Volvo drivers?

lost full use of my right foot...and I have severe nerve pain in my leg 24 hours a day.... Hey.. I'm alive...
Old Sep 06, 2006, 12:38 AM
Joined Jan 2006
146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akura2
I lost a battle with a Volvo too... I wonder what's with Volvo drivers?
lost full use of my right foot...and I have severe nerve pain in my leg 24 hours a day.... Hey.. I'm alive...
sorry to here that not good ouch
i smashed my right wrist,left elbow tore ligaments in both hands i can't straighten my left arm anymore but its in the perfect position for riding

i had a volvo aware rider sticker on the back of my bike the ambulance guys that picked me up thought it was hilarious
i can't stop riding though most people think i'm mad i bought another bike two weeks after the accident i couldn't ride it yet but i had to have it

rob
Old Sep 06, 2006, 09:24 AM
Plainview, NY
Joined Dec 2003
241 Posts
I had a run in with a Snow Plow and I was in a car, I know all about having a lot of time on my hands...

I should pull out my HOR and screw with it....

BTW, I own a Volvo....
vtl1180ny is offline Find More Posts by vtl1180ny