HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 04, 2006, 10:42 AM
United States, MA, Chelmsford
Joined Jul 2000
3,469 Posts
Discussion
Tucano

This was the first Tucan kit in the US from Nigel Hawes and was a superb flyer on an AXI 282010 and 8 3300 nimh.

Had this plane for 3+ yrs and was just hanging there. My son gave me a Eflite-10 and I decided to give it a go. Flies exceptionaly well on the setup on 3s1p 24000 lipo although takeoffs a little long.

Still a great airplane, thanks Nige.

DAF
Ralph A. D'Amelio is offline Find More Posts by Ralph A. D'Amelio
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2006, 12:11 PM
Victim of gravity
Upcountry, South Africa
Joined Jul 2002
373 Posts
Nice looking plane!

Flew mine on a Mega 22/30/3 and 10 Nicads and 10x6 prop. A great design, I agree.

I'm now on version 3! Doesn't look exactly like the plan (rear top straightened out for ease of building, and no more curvy canopy) but it still flies well.

Marius
mariuslj is offline Find More Posts by mariuslj
Old Sep 04, 2006, 02:32 PM
United States, MA, Chelmsford
Joined Jul 2000
3,469 Posts
Yes Marius, its a great flying airplane...since I do a lot in foam , mostly pusher jets, this was a nice diversion when I flew yesterday. In fact as soon as the wind dies down I will take it out again.

I scratch build a lot and am thinking of doing one in depron should be quite lite and fast with the eflite 10.

DAF
Ralph A. D'Amelio is offline Find More Posts by Ralph A. D'Amelio
Old Apr 21, 2010, 04:03 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,673 Posts
A real blast from the past - I picked up a Nigel Hawes designed Tucano yesterday evening at our club bring and buy. I don;t think the kits are around any more.

I'm thinking either 2820/10 and 3s1p 4500mah Tipple Lipos, with a 10x7 APC-E or Mega 22/20-3 and an 8x6" APC-E on 3s1p 3000mah Tipple. Just need to weigh up what the motor mount and battery bay capacity fits best.

It's a nice, well finished model, built by an excellent builder, with a tissue and dope, painted finish.

Anyone got the C of G position for this one?
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Apr 21, 2010, 05:12 AM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,673 Posts
Here she is. Not bad for a tenner, and I had to bend my clubmate's arm to even take that much for her, as he said I could have her for nothing.

Of course, once I got her home my boy said "Is the Tucano for you or for me?" - what a chancer!
Old Apr 26, 2010, 09:37 AM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,673 Posts
My boy maidened the Tucano yesterday and she flew very well, eventually.

I say eventualy because when I hit full throttle on the bench, prior to the range check, the nose of the model literally exploded and threw the motor, prop and spinner out of the model. I'd read of some teething troubles with fitting the more powerfultorquey motors like the 2820/10 to this model but thought that she'd be okay, since all my AXI-equipped funfighters had coped fine, but I was mistaken.

Anyhow, it was a clean break and a field repair was undertaken, the model passed the pull test of a good repair and, after a range check, took to the air. The pilot found her very pleasant to fly, but kept below andbout 2/3rd throttle, just in case. Post flight checks showed that the repair was fine and a further flight embarked upon. After a few minutes in the air I detected a slightly noisy motor, told Tim to throttle back and land and it was a good job he did. The nose was literally hanging on by just the bottom of the front former and visibly opened up the cracks on anything above 1/4 throttle.

So, she'll need that front end beefing up a touch before the next outing. All in all though the model looks great in the air, is beautifully smooth to fly and gets the thumbs up.

Looks better against a grass background than on the drive too.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 06:44 AM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,673 Posts
The nose end is all beefed up now, by the insertion of a couple of 3mm wooden skewers through the nose former back into the bottom sheet and reinforcement, a slathering of 30-minute epoxy on the broken surfaces, liberally reinforced with some carbon fibre tows across the breaks and onto the fuselage sides and a wrap of CF around the inside of the nosering.

It's not the neatest job, because I find dealing with CF tows and epoxy as being a bit like getting the hairy bits out of the shower drain and about as easy to handle. Maybe I overdid it on the CF

Just need to find a couple of pilots now.

Anyway, lets see what the weekend brings.
Old May 09, 2010, 01:35 PM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,673 Posts
What a smashing model

Had four flights with her today and a really good day at the field. My first time with a tricycle undercarriage, having learned to fly with taildraggers, and I found that quite weird in terms of taxi-ing. She needs a bootful of rudder and quite big blips of throttle to do anything resembling a turn on the deck.

In the air though, a delight. Biiiiiiiiiiiiiiig loops, very nice slow rolls and stall turns and can handle anything that my meagre flying skills can dish out. This one's a keeper.

I've found one pilot, but still need to find him a student to accompany him
Old May 25, 2010, 07:05 AM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,673 Posts
This Tucano seems to be fraught with motor difficulties.

On Sunday, after a couple of decent flights, my boy was flying her and said that he was losing power, then the motor stopped - he called deadstick, made a deadstick approach, but just failed to make the field and landed in the top of the hedge on the boundary. No damage done at all, but the motor sounded very rough on trying it out.

O checking the pretty new 3s1p Lipo pack two cells were below 3.3v, with the third cell at 3.8v -a rapid balance charge was in order and the three cells came back okay, with no puffiness or other problems.

The motor feels free enough, with no sign of any magnet being dislodged in terms of lumpiness when turned by hand, but it'll be a surgical job to get the motor out for a test.

Something to fettle for the weekend then.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 04:55 PM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,673 Posts
Motor replaced and Tucano back in action. The only thing I could find wrong with the motor was a nick in the insulation and I suppose it's possible that a phase was out as a result. The silverline motor has defeated all my attempts to open it up.

Anyhoo, the replacement Axi 2820/10 is sweet as a nut and the model flies like she's on rails. We enjoyed a lad and father's day at the field today, both having a go of the Tucano.

Here's a couple of shots taken by my boy Tim.

I've got the cockpit and pilot mouldings from Vortex plastics this week, so the office will have some occupants next time out.