HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Flyfan, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 04, 2006, 12:39 AM
Rob H
Australia, QLD, Cairns
Joined Jun 2002
631 Posts
Discussion
Start of my Blog - The Resume

--------------- FLYFAN'S BLOG ---------------------

I live in Tropical Cairns Australia and fly indoors, outdoors and on the slope.

Brief resume -

I built a few balsa kits when I was young, had a control line plane that I could never get anyone to launch, designed a small hovercraft for .049 engine and experimented with a few own designs, but no radio control, so it's lucky they didn't fly far!

In 2001 as my 50th birthday approached I decided to build a light model plane with an electric motor. I didn't know these were available, I thought I was being a pioneer!! I took the RC from a $10 toy car, this was just throttle on/off. My plane flew, just!!!

A few months later I discovered the world of Electric flight was way ahead of me. I read some magazines, drooled over some catalogues and bought my first Tx on 20th March 2002. I fitted servo's to my home design plane and began to teach myself to fly. After a few weeks I bought a little 'stik' plane and that allowed me to focus on learning to fly rather than also fixing design faults in my own plane.

I met a group of people who fly in my area, and began to fly at the field, up the slope and in a small hall.

In 2004 I bought a Revolution 3D from Tim, '3D Crazy' at http://e-foamies.com/ and have been addicted to 3D ever since. I'm still struggling to hold a hover or be in perfect control but the EPP plane and it's 3D capabilities have me hooked. I really miss rudder control on my other planes.

Below are 2 pics of some of my planes, me and my 1988 Corvette. The vette is another whole story - www.myvette.20m.com
Flyfan is offline Find More Posts by Flyfan
Last edited by Flyfan; Sep 04, 2006 at 03:20 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2006, 01:04 AM
Rob H
Australia, QLD, Cairns
Joined Jun 2002
631 Posts
Revolution 3D

The Revolution 3D has been my favourite plane for over 2 years - you can't kill it (I've tried).

Over 2000 crashes, hit barbed wire, light poles, trees. For a while I borrowed the motor for another plane, till I realised how much I was missing the fun of the R3D
Last edited by Flyfan; Sep 04, 2006 at 02:22 AM.
Old Sep 04, 2006, 03:16 AM
Rob H
Australia, QLD, Cairns
Joined Jun 2002
631 Posts
I even squashed it in the back of the vette for a 3500miles (5000km)round trip to Brisbane this year.

It came out all bent every day and within an hour or so the EPP memory had pulled it back into shape and it was flyable.
Last edited by Flyfan; Sep 04, 2006 at 03:28 AM.
Old Sep 04, 2006, 11:49 PM
Rob H
Australia, QLD, Cairns
Joined Jun 2002
631 Posts
Here's a Video of the R3D flying - I'm not a pro, but I like this up close and personal video
My Revolution 3D flying in Cairns Australia
Old Sep 10, 2006, 10:20 AM
Rc's Best Friend
Virginia Beach, VA
Joined Dec 2005
433 Posts
Hey,

Let me know if you need a 32 year old flying buddy and plane caddy!

Enjoying the spoils on ones hard work happens too rare these days.

Nice auto, nice nice weather, and nice cache of planes. Looks like you have things going for you.

--C
DIALED/CHUCK is offline Find More Posts by DIALED/CHUCK
Old Sep 10, 2006, 04:03 PM
Rob H
Australia, QLD, Cairns
Joined Jun 2002
631 Posts
Hi Chuck, thanks for the kind words.

I was building this blog as some kind of profile of me, I wanted to put everything in the one page - but it doesn't seem to work that way. So I've stopped and plan to build a webpage off site and put a link here and in my profile. Got held up doing some other stuff at the moment.

Glad to know someone read at least this far!!

Flyfan
Old Sep 13, 2006, 08:41 PM
Joined May 2000
2,023 Posts
The electrics are quite fun, been into them and glow for 5 years. My interest in larger 1.20- 1.80 4 stroke ships has biten me, they're like huge parkflyers. I also have an 88 C-4, love the car. I have mine slightly modded and replaced the sawblade wheels for chrome ZR-1 type. I started with the electric 3-D, the big glow is just as fun but a little easier to see.
RICH S is offline Find More Posts by RICH S