HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 13, 2002, 09:30 PM
Kings Park, New York, USA
Joined Sep 2001
813 Posts
This is 1 free offer you should not refuse!

I was at a client today servicing thier copier and noticed a roll of plastic film that looks exactly like Sky Shine that New Creations sells. It is a Highly Reflective Holographic coating on 1 side and silver on the other. It has no adhesive.

Looks like a bit of spray 77 or double stickey tape should work well. i am sure it can be used for covering as well, did not test if it shrinks yet.

Real nice stuff, also perfect for wrapping stuff with or making streamers or whatever.

Kirk sells it for $5.00 for a piece 3" x 18".

Send me a self adressed prepaid box or container, and i will send you out a piece 3 feet by 18 feet. well it is only 31 inches wide so you are gonna get jipped a bit. If you want more than 18 feet just say so.

I only ask it be used in some way shape or form to promote aviation, and give me some feedback as to what you are using it for.

It is pretty strong stuff. Temporary restraint of other half to allow one to commit aviation is valid!

send to:

Ron Parigoris
44 carriage drive
Kings Park NY 11754

I have fooled with spraying foam and letting Spray 77 dry completly. Then putting on mylar and reactivating with Monokote iron. Spray 77 works well by heating to reactivate. i have a feeling this stuff will too
rparigoris is offline Find More Posts by rparigoris
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2002, 03:06 AM
Eureka, CA
Joined Dec 2001
35 Posts
Truly a generous and unselfish offer.
You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar!
What would you estimate the shipping weight to be?
I've been motorizing Wal-Mart Sky Raiders
lately, they would look great in silver mylar!
You can't use the new 3M77 on styrofoam.
I like to put water based urathane varnish on
the foam. Anything you apply to the foam while the varnish is still tacky will stick permanently.
Here is a picture of my Wally Wing Sky Cam.
The fuse is shortened and the cabin inverted to
provide a protective dome for the lens on the
video camera.
Thanks!
-Dave
OH!Zone is offline Find More Posts by OH!Zone
Old Aug 14, 2002, 03:47 AM
Joined Sep 2001
813 Posts
Weight of the Film

Hey OH!Zone

I just measured the film, it is .0015 thick. I also measured some Doculam, the heavier stuff and it is .0030 thick.

This stuff is probably the same thickness as Doculam light, or Oracover light or Ultracoat. Shipping weight is probably lighter than Oracover or Ultracoat because it does not have a backing that you need to peel off.

So your guess is as good as mine as to weight. Add 16 oz to weight of shipping container, and I will weigh it out!

As far as Spray 77, I still have a stash of old formula. Trick RC that first made me aware of the formula change says it can be used on white EPS foam, it is just you need to spray super light, and wait long before coats. Supposedly OK on EPP foam. I like your water based poly idea.

No matter which formula you use, I think if you give the film a light spray of Spray 77 and let it fully dry, it will be pretty close to Oracover light. It will be activated by heat. So if having a hard time with poly alone, try giving the film a spray.

I have fooled with silvered films I bought from a craft place. It worked OK, but I needed to clean it with alcohol first as it had some sort of very light coating that I guess prevented sticking to itself? This stuff was being printed on, so the Holographic side for sure will be clean. Not posative about the other side.

I am also not absoluetly sure it is Mylar. I am not even sure what Mylar is officially called, this was said to be some sort of poly something or other.

I tried hitting it with a heat gun on a 6 inch piece, hard to tell if it shrunk, it seemed to react the same as the same size piece of Doculam Heavy. It is definite not a shrivel up warp your wing on the slightest bit of heat film.

Ron Parigoris
Old Aug 14, 2002, 05:37 AM
Eureka, CA
Joined Dec 2001
35 Posts
Where there's a will there's a way!
I also went out and snagged some of the old
formula 3M77 before it was too late.
It sounds like the way to go for heat shrinking.
I would guess a mailing tube would be a good
choice for shipping, I'll try and get by the post office tomarrow.
Thanks again,
-Dave
Old Aug 15, 2002, 02:22 AM
Eureka, CA
Joined Dec 2001
35 Posts
Found a 3"x3" by38" box today.
It should be a good choice for shipping.
I hate to mail an empty box, so I think
I'll put a couple of Johnson 250's and a
280 in it!
-Dave
Old Aug 15, 2002, 01:45 PM
Joined Sep 2001
813 Posts
Hey OH!Zone

Thx. for filling the box with some goodies.

Slight updatee on the Film. Was fooling with it last night, and when I got about 15 feet into it, both sides have the Holographic on it!

I didn't mess with trying to remove it, but i think there is a good chance it may wipe off with appropriate solvent if you wish for just silver.

Later
Ron Parigoris
Old Aug 19, 2002, 04:22 PM
Joined Sep 2001
813 Posts
Hey OH!Zone

Hey OH!Zone

Got your package today, filled it and shipped it bout 5PM monday 08-19-02.

Ron Parigoris
Old Aug 19, 2002, 07:51 PM
Joined Mar 2001
2,625 Posts
I received my package from Ron this afternoon. This stuff is indeed pretty thin, and cuts nicely with a sharp #11. I stuck some on the LE of my Sky Rider wings. The first piece I just shot some 3M77 on the back, and stuck it on like a giant sticker, smoothing out the wrinkles as best I could. I got most of them, but I wouldn't recommend this method. After that side was stuck down, I set my Covertite iron to about 175, and "sealed" the film.

After applying 3M77, I did the second side more like a low temp iron on, working the film with my iron as I pulled. It has a small amount of stretch, just enough to work through the wrinkles. Again, I left a few small wrinkles, but seeing as how this plane is a test bed, I wasn't too concerned. As long as you don't inspect closely, the wrinkles aren't evident. Photo follows.

Ron, thanks again for your generosity.

Tony Turley
t-turley is offline Find More Posts by t-turley
Old Aug 20, 2002, 01:47 AM
Eureka, CA
Joined Dec 2001
35 Posts
Hi Ron!
Glad to hear the package arrived o.k.
Useful info Tony, and a nice looking plane!
Can't wait to play with this stuff!
Thanks again,
-Dave