HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by mrm1, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 02, 2006, 02:13 PM
Fly a LiL' Lower Will Ya!
North Central Florida
Joined Sep 2004
4,811 Posts
Discussion
Field Test of the Tower Pro 3520-07

Gas-to-Electric Conversoin Maiden
Tower Pro 3520-05

The Motor

This is the first field test of this budget Outrunner motor From Tower Pro. It is in my friend Otto's Phoenix Super Decathlon Gas to Electric conversion. This was his first conversion and first large electric model.

The plane can be had for $120 from Tower and is very sweet indeed.

The specs of the plane with a gas engine are suppose to be 7 lbs, but the plane did not feel that heavey to me - more like 5 lbs. See the pic of the manufactures specs below. His cowl was broken from a previous gas crash.

The model was set up with:
- the Tower Pro 3520-07 from Gorrilla Bob's - $45
- Tower Pro 65 G2 ESC - $40
- Reciever Battery
- 14x7 prop APCe
- 4s 10c - ?3700 mAh? (i think) pack from Common Sense - could not confirm mAh as their site seems to be down.
Shipping to Fl for motor and ESC from Bob was 2 days.

We used the Eagle Tree Data Logger for in flight Data. Tried to connect the temp probe to the back of the bell, but it did not read?? But got in flight amps / watts / volts. Check the graphs below. Amazing power output.

Flight Summary:

All I can say is wow. This 66" gas to electric conversion was over powered. Flew beautifully. took off in about 25' with only 3/4 throttle from rough grass and we flew it for nearly 8 minutes and still seemed to have plenty of power.

I took the controls at about 5 minutes into the flight (no video), and did loops, stall turns (not enough throws), rolls and high speed low passes. The thing that I was wondering about with this budget equiptment was how well the linear throttle control would be. I was very impressed. I did not do any programing of the controller, but just in flight it seemed as good as the hi dollar ones to me. I did not notice any difference. Very nice controller and nice feel. I am ordering one today.

As to the motor. Excellent! look and construction. Great power, and very quite. No vibration or noise or slop. Over all great set up.

Otto is in the process of selling or giving away all his gas stuff. He is a true convert today

Here is the video of this little power plant:

Video of the Super Decathlon Conversion

If you are looking for a nice .46 - .51 size conversion motor, I could highly recommend this one. BP Hobbies has them in 2 Kv sizes: the 650 which we flew today, and the 730 kv.

Later
Mike
mrm1 is offline Find More Posts by mrm1
Last edited by mrm1; Oct 25, 2007 at 12:43 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2006, 02:41 PM
AMA #851612
Alameda, CA
Joined Dec 2005
1,617 Posts
Nice!! GorillaBob is the man!!
BIGDANO is offline Find More Posts by BIGDANO
Old Sep 02, 2006, 10:04 PM
know it all
Miami, Fl
Joined Nov 2003
2,949 Posts
Very nice, so what is the rtf weight? That battery is holding good voltage, 3.75v at 45amp

Herm
hermperez is offline Find More Posts by hermperez
Old Sep 02, 2006, 10:57 PM
North Central Florida
Joined Sep 2004
4,811 Posts
Herm, we did not have an RTF weight, only what it was "supposes" to weigh according to spec (7lbs) and what if felt like (more like 5 or 6). But it did balance correctly and handled very well in the air.

Mike
Old Sep 04, 2006, 04:25 PM
know it all
Miami, Fl
Joined Nov 2003
2,949 Posts
How was the vertical performance?, hammerheads?, spins?

Herm
hermperez is offline Find More Posts by hermperez
Old Sep 04, 2006, 09:55 PM
North Central Florida
Joined Sep 2004
4,811 Posts
vert was not overly determined. not enough throws to do spins. (and this would not be overly dependent on power/thrust - except in flat spins IMO). Plenty of power to do hammerheads.

Seems the motor would be good at any of the above based on power displayed.
Old Sep 07, 2006, 08:18 PM
Rc's Best Friend
Virginia Beach, VA
Joined Dec 2005
433 Posts
Motor setup looks like it would be a screamer on a little plane I am looking at....thanks for the readout....hats off!

--C
DIALED/CHUCK is offline Find More Posts by DIALED/CHUCK
Old Sep 07, 2006, 08:54 PM
North Central Florida
Joined Sep 2004
4,811 Posts
Thanks --C
Old Oct 07, 2006, 03:53 PM
Liverpool, UK
Joined Jun 2002
459 Posts
Mike, thanks for that. Looking at that EXACT setup for my China Models Cessna that I want to electrify!
charlatan is offline Find More Posts by charlatan