HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 06, 2006, 01:35 PM
MG ZS180 proud owner
Balaguer in Lérida - Spain
Joined Jul 2005
569 Posts
Thunder1 I'm finally going to go for the 5320/28, wing loading is what motocalc showed after I typed all the info of empty weight as per programme demand, wing area and wing span given by manufacturer.

It has flaps by the way...otherwise I'd say it would be unflyable

Thanks for the input.

Here are some pics of tail and elevator construction and 2 pics along the F4U I built from Phoneix Models for size comparisson, this one is larger and fatter

Alex
Alex B is offline Find More Posts by Alex B
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2006, 02:04 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,712 Posts
It looks about the same size as the H9 P-47. Most of those end up weighing 8-9 lbs. The motor of choice is the 4130/16 or E-Flight Power 60. But at your weight, those are out of the question.

Your's looks very well built. Definitely a good glow model.

I'm a little leery of the wing area listed on the box cover. What's the root chord and tip chord (at the aileron tips)?
thunder1 is offline Find More Posts by thunder1
Old Sep 06, 2006, 02:07 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Here's a neat wing loading calculator !!

http://www.coloradogliders.com/wingl...calculator.htm
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Sep 06, 2006, 02:10 PM
MG ZS180 proud owner
Joined Jul 2005
569 Posts
Now who's going to give a lesson on how to messure all those parameters ???

I haven't got a clue my friends but if somebody gives me a hand I'll fill in the info and tell you.

Thanks,

Alex
Old Sep 06, 2006, 02:12 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex B
Now who's going to give a lesson on how to messure all those parameters ???

I haven't got a clue my friends but if somebody gives me a hand I'll fill in the info and tell you.

Thanks,

Alex
Alex,

It is rather simple.....on a non-rectangular wing airfoil...such as your model and that of say a SpitFire...you need to measure across the wing cord with say 4 - 5 measurements and average them out.....this is what you input....

Carlos
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Sep 06, 2006, 02:49 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,712 Posts
Here's a measurement that will be pretty close. Measure the red lines. Those are the tip and root chords. The tip chord should be measured at the point where the leading edge starts to curve.

Then enter those numbers as if the wing has the planform indicated in green.
Old Sep 06, 2006, 02:52 PM
<- Balsa flies better ->
Gustafs, Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
1,963 Posts
It really looks nice

Those flaps is going to be useful giving you valuable lift at landings.

//Peter
wolw is offline Find More Posts by wolw
Old Sep 06, 2006, 04:46 PM
MG ZS180 proud owner
Joined Jul 2005
569 Posts
Ok guys once I get to the wing I'll messure everything as accurate as possible and then calculate the real wing loading.

Peter it is nice although I would have liked the older version but wasn't available except on a bigger size and fiberglass fuse...anyway once I get used to fly this sort of birds I'd like to built a 2+ mt. warbird as my final project.

Thanks a lot to everyone for your input.

Alex

PS: Post 11 edited with new final weight due to a little calculation error.
Last edited by Alex B; Sep 06, 2006 at 04:59 PM.
Old Sep 06, 2006, 06:41 PM
MG ZS180 proud owner
Joined Jul 2005
569 Posts
Some pics of battery testing and size reference and tailwheel

Alex
Old Sep 07, 2006, 01:39 PM
MG ZS180 proud owner
Joined Jul 2005
569 Posts
Here are tail and elevator control horns...good quality items
Old Sep 07, 2006, 02:44 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,712 Posts
That hardware does look durable. But one of the drawbacks of not having the control horn hinge point (where the clevis joins the horn) centered over the hinge line is that you're going to have uneven throws (differential)

If you have a computer radio you can set the endpoints to even the throws out. Otherwise the up/right travel will be different than the down/left travel. As it is it looks like the up/right travel is going to be greater than the down/left travel. Probably no big deal.

I highly suggest using the little plastic clevis keepers as on such a heavy plane the clevis can weaken and pull through the threads and/or open at the horn end. All it takes is a slight bump of the control surface to make this happen.
Old Sep 07, 2006, 03:09 PM
Fly allot, Crash allot, next?
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Feb 2006
7,200 Posts
Overkill

There looks like plenty of movement available in any direction, but this looks like severe over kill.

The big question, how strong do you need the parts to be? If you hold back the rudder and elevator with your two fingers you will cause the wood to crack and break with just the normal servos and hardware. This is not a 3D plane, don't waste your money on any more heavy duty stuff. It's better to have some flex, it will save the wood.

Like I said, the wood underneath will break if the control pressure is too great, even from standard $13.00 servos.

Al
SCALEFAN is offline Find More Posts by SCALEFAN
Old Sep 07, 2006, 03:32 PM
<- Balsa flies better ->
Gustafs, Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
1,963 Posts
Quote:
he big question, how strong do you need the parts to be
It's the Graupner way.
Like a Mercedes Benz, built to last

Alex, I think it looks great.

This is the tailplane on my Graupner Extra 300

//Peter
wolw is offline Find More Posts by wolw
Last edited by wolw; Sep 07, 2006 at 03:53 PM.
Old Sep 07, 2006, 03:43 PM
MG ZS180 proud owner
Joined Jul 2005
569 Posts
Exactly that hardware came with the kit so I thought it would be ok if they design it for this bird ??? and what the plastic clevis keepers ??? never heard of that before.

Thanks,

Alex
Old Sep 07, 2006, 04:13 PM
Fly allot, Crash allot, next?
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Feb 2006
7,200 Posts
I think he meant the plastic clevis keeper to be the fuel hose type.

Ya know, you cut off a 1/4 inch piece of fuel hose and slide it over the clevis.

Hey, if the hardware came with the kit, great. No problemo. I'm wrong and will be willing to admit it.

I made the mistake of buying this Robart stuff that was so heavy duty that I threw it away. I belive in severe over kill, but, the super heavy duty stuff that got shipped to me looked silly on a Hangar 9 Corsair. It looked as silly as if I bought cabinet hinges at Home Depot and put them on the plane.

All kidding aside, I saw the heavy duty stuff on extra giant scale 3D planes, but not on balsa elevators or rudders that can crack easy.

Keep up the good work, how much time do you estimate that you have left untill completion? I want to see videos of this baby flying.

Al
SCALEFAN is offline Find More Posts by SCALEFAN