HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 02, 2006, 02:37 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,924 Posts
Build Log
Ryan's Daughter - a low-wing sport model by Peter Rake

Some time ago, I enquired in the scale forum (my usual haunt) about ideas for a 'scale' trainer. I wasn't after a beginners model but rather a fairly rugged, scale-ish model that could be used to increase my flying experience and skills without risking a scale model representing many hours of work.

Of the many suggestions, several were looked at closely and I settled on a design Peter Rake dug out of his 'one-of-these-days' file. It is loosely based on a 30's style low wing training aircraft reminiscent of a Ryan PT22 and I immediately dubbed it Ryan's Daughter

I have never flown a low-wing machine so figured it would be a good experience all round.

Spanning about 52" (1.3X metres) and weighing an estimated 3 pounds, this is not a floater. Originally, I think Peter intended a 540 style motor and Nicads, but has updated the design to suit a modern BL outrunner of 150-200 watt size. This should roughly equate to an old .20 style trainer - ideal for my purposes.

I wasn't going to do a build thread, but as others may try the design, I'll be the mug and pave the way without the benefit of laser-cut parts

Pat
Pat Lynch is offline Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Pat Lynch; Sep 02, 2006 at 03:01 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2006, 02:49 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,924 Posts
A start on the Wings

Wing construction is fairly straightforward. It employs a D-box section sheeted leading edge with 3/16" sq spars and vertical-grain shear webbing. This should be very strong.

I used 3/16 spruce for the spars as I had plenty, and 2mm balsa for the ribs.

To make construction easier, the leading and false trailing edges are made from two 1/8" sections with the first being sanded to the rib profile and providing a glueing surface for the sheeting and capping. The second will be applied later and sanded to the final airfoil section. I MAY even substitute a piece of 1/8 spruce for the LE to resist denting (I'll consider the weight)

A full-depth 1/8 ply dihedral brace spans the wing between the UC mountings.

The undercarriage legs are of 1/8 (10swg) music wire, embedded in a rigid 1/8 ply housing as part of a 1/8 ply rib. These legs must be added before sheeting is complete so I am sheeting the top surface first, then epoxiing the legs in place and sheeting the lower surface.

Wing tips are cut from 3/16" firm sheet and angled upward slightly from the last rib to the tip.

A picture of a PT22 shows the colours I will use - Peters design has a slimmer nose and is simplified around the cockpit area.

More soon

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Pat Lynch; Sep 02, 2006 at 03:10 AM.
Old Sep 02, 2006, 07:24 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,759 Posts
Pat,
Will this be as per the CAD drawing, or a hybrid of the two?
A geared 600, on 7 or 8 cells will fly a 3 1/2 pound model quite easily, so a brushless outrunner on 3s should cope with 4 pounds. Might not be too aerobatic, but should fly okay. Depends on the outrunner I suppose. The 800E shown should cope, while the longer, but same diameter, 1500 would do it easily.
I'm expecting a set of parts from Charlie and have an unused 3s2p pack just itching to go in a model. 5000 mAh should be good with either motor. As you know, after the Ponnier/CA debacle, I also have both PJS 800E and 1500 motors not doing anything to earn their keep.
Needless to say, I'm watching your build with interest.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Sep 02, 2006, 07:50 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,924 Posts
Pete - this is being built from the CAD drawing - solid tail parts etc.
The motor I'm using will be roughly equivelant to the PJS1500 - maybe a little more powerful. So it should be good for a few minutes of aerobatics on 3700 mA 3S2P.

Do you reckon best if the wheels face inward or outward - I might put them out - gives wider track.

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A Small Diversion From Annie
Old Sep 02, 2006, 11:36 AM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,181 Posts
Nice looking model, Pat - 3 pounds weight should let you fly in a bit of wind too.

I can vouch for the 'D' box style of construction, as it's a preferred method of David Boddington in models like the Tyro, Tyro Major, Craftsman, Pronto etc - all models I've built in the past. Even with the sheeting on the top only, it makes a good solid wing; but take care to build it straight as any warps will be built-in for good with this method (ask me how I learned this!).

You going to use conventional Solarfilm-style covering on this one?

Steve
Redbaron25 is offline Find More Posts by Redbaron25
Old Sep 02, 2006, 12:54 PM
WAA-08 Survivor
Joined May 2004
2,644 Posts
Looks like you made a great choice for a plane Pat. Hey, I might be interested in one of these. Are plans available now? Is it too early to get parts from Mananzo laser?

Also, I would guess with light covering and a 200+ watt outrunner/3 cell 2100's you might find yourself with a model lighter than 48oz if you wanted too.

How about a better picture of the plans when you get a chance? Thanks, Steve
Griffin is offline Find More Posts by Griffin
Old Sep 02, 2006, 06:32 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,924 Posts
Here are a couple of very fuzzy bitmaps of Pete's plans. As they are copyright, I obviously cant post them, but this will give the idea.

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Pat Lynch; Sep 02, 2006 at 10:17 PM.
Old Sep 03, 2006, 06:24 AM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,181 Posts
Looks another solid, simple design by Pete. Scaled down to about 38"-40" it would suit one of those BP21 motors. I've just realised I don't have any aileron models at the moment...need to remedy that in the future.

Steve
Redbaron25 is offline Find More Posts by Redbaron25
Old Sep 03, 2006, 02:59 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,844 Posts
Pat,

Nice job.

I just sent Pete's parts to him.

Pete, I also put in the 7cyl radial plastic bits. Pete can cut the cyl out and make up the 5cyl arrangement. After looking at it though, the larger engine I included may be too big. I have the smaller ones if you want one of those instead. Also included wheel pants that should fit.

I will do one of these in the near future as well, but, will include flaps and a more scale LG within full spats. I have a Magnetic Mayhem along with an Olympus belt drive sitting ready to get mated to a 3s2p battery pack (Same one as the SPAD). Actually hoping current draw will be low enough to use a 3s1p (25-30A). I will be making it as light as possible, see if I can get it down under 3lb. Given my building style I think that's a pipedream though

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Sep 04, 2006, 01:27 AM
Elimäki Finland
Joined Jan 2003
279 Posts
What a pretty model! Will the plans be available sometime, preferably in CAD form (if I buy a paper plan, I spend hours re-drawing them in CAD so that I can print the parts out on sticky paper!

David Smith, Koria, Finland
David Smith is offline Find More Posts by David Smith
Old Sep 04, 2006, 01:34 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,924 Posts
David - I'll let Peter Rake answer your question himself - as far as I know, the plans are not yet available.

It is not a PT22 but has the look of aircraft from that era - PT22, Avro Avian etc. I am hoping to do a few cosmetic changes to make it more like a Ryan and will show those here as I go.

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 04, 2006, 01:57 AM
Elimäki Finland
Joined Jan 2003
279 Posts
Thanks, Pat - 'scale' is not really an issue for me, but I do like models that have a certain appeal in the air. This one looks as if it has that in spades

David
David Smith is offline Find More Posts by David Smith
Old Sep 04, 2006, 07:22 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,924 Posts
Wing Frame Complete

Apart from fitting the front locating dowel and fixing screws, The wing is ready to cover.

No major problems or suggestions - very straightforward balsa-bashing!

The D section LE dried very true and is extremely strong. The aileron linkage is fine and I've hinged each aileron in two places - maybe a third would be desirable in a18" aileron. Peter?

Next - the fuselage.

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 04, 2006, 08:24 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,844 Posts
Not sure about free plans (like a mag article) but they will be offered by Peter and on the web site (printed only as far as I know), along with parts if wanted.

charlie
Old Sep 04, 2006, 08:34 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,844 Posts
Pat,

I would suggest three hinges per side, but, the stiffness of the aileron is what dictates it. If the aileron is very stiff, then two will do. Especially since the aileron link itself will act as a kind of hinge on the root end.

Looks good. Finish this one faster so I can see if I will build one

charlie