HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 01, 2006, 10:21 AM
Joined Nov 2003
176 Posts
Question
Copper Tape for Foam Cutting Templates

Hello All,

I was browsing through several "foam cutting template" threads here on rcgroups and saw the mention of people using copper tapes on wood template edges to make the smooth, but I could not find any info on where to buy this copper tape. I took a trip to the local Home Depot here in town, but the guys there dont know what I was talking about. One guy showed me copper strips that they use to secure plumbing pipes. But those strips are really hard and have pre-drilled holes in 'em. Plus they can't fit the category of "tape". So, I think it would be hard to use this kinda copper strips.

Can someone please point me to where can I buy this copper tape from?

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks.
AirBorne_AZ is offline Find More Posts by AirBorne_AZ
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2006, 11:09 AM
Joined Aug 2003
313 Posts
I dont know about copper tape.... but I'm wondering if the aluminum tape that is sold at home depot type places would work. Its used to join or seal dryer vents and the like. Its basically a malleable aluminum foil with a sticky backing. Just wondering why you would need copper over something readily available? N_G
Nutty_gnome is offline Find More Posts by Nutty_gnome
Old Sep 01, 2006, 11:35 AM
Joined Nov 2003
176 Posts
N_G:

I am sure aluminum tape would work well. I just didn't think of it. All that came to my mind after reading some threads was the copper tape. If this aluminum tape can provide a smooth surface, it should do the job. Do you have more info on this tape? You know where you can find it in Home Depot?

Thanks
Old Sep 01, 2006, 12:26 PM
Joined Mar 2006
12 Posts
You can get copper tape from craft stores that cater to people making stained glass items. It comes in different widths and is sticky on the back. The advantage over the aluminum duct type tape would be that it would be the same width as the template. If you used the aluminum tape you would have to cut a thin strip of it to cover the edge of the template. If you can't find copper tape at a craft store you can try a large elextronics supply store or all electronics or electronics goldmine online. You might also check radio shack for aluminum tape used for security systems as glass breakage sensors, it is a good width as well.
pwborders is offline Find More Posts by pwborders
Old Sep 01, 2006, 01:12 PM
Joined Aug 2003
313 Posts
Airbore AZ: If you can't find what you need rm pwborders suggestion, check the department that sells the dryer vent kits. It should be around there. Otherwise, ask anyone in that area where the sticky-backed aluminum tape is. Probably can also be found near weatherstripping or roofing... maybe. Oh, also, I've never used aluminum for this application, if others use copper, there is probably a good reason. N_G
Nutty_gnome is offline Find More Posts by Nutty_gnome
Old Sep 01, 2006, 01:37 PM
Highlands Ranch, CO
Joined Aug 2006
29 Posts
The stainglass shops have the tape, but then you have to worry about heat loss at the edge of your wire. Melamime (sp) the counter top stuff works great! Cut it with a band/scroll saw and smooth with sandpaper for a near frictionless surface without heat loss. I had a hard time finding it in small sheets at the usual home stores, but the odd piece thrown in the neighbors trash worked fine. I ripped it down to 1/4" with the wood still on for rigidity then routed off 1/8" around the edge to avoid the wire catching on the wood. Check out Jim Young's Scale Builder's Workshop Video Column-Jan '06. It's under RCGroups article archive. Sorry, I can't import the link I'm computer illiterate.
highlandsace is offline Find More Posts by highlandsace
Old Sep 01, 2006, 03:12 PM
Highlands Ranch, CO
Joined Aug 2006
29 Posts
Jim Young's post is under Topics>articles>ezonemag page 5 Jan 14, '06.
highlandsace is offline Find More Posts by highlandsace
Old Sep 01, 2006, 04:34 PM
Will work for foam
United States, WI, Muskego
Joined Apr 2005
1,502 Posts
Formica works very well also. Home depot carries it in 2' X 4' sheets (last a lifetime). but you can also swing by cabinet shops and they will usually give you thier scraps for free.
wingnutt is offline Find More Posts by wingnutt
Old Sep 11, 2006, 08:46 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,250 Posts
Hi!

I tried to use aluminium tape some time ago before I discovered the existance od copper tape.

Aluminium tape does not work very well as it is soft. The cutting wire tends to rip holes in it.

Search ebay for "copper foil tape", I just found at least a dozen suitable items. Also the word "tiffany" might help.

Copper is harder than aluminium, so the wire slides much better. I have not noticed any necative effects that could have to do with copper being a good heat conductor.

Here is a part of my website describing the making and the use of foam cutting templates:

http://www.extremflug.de/seite036.htm
http://www.extremflug.de/seite046.htm

Regards,

Julez
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
Old Sep 11, 2006, 10:01 AM
Joined Nov 2003
176 Posts
I am still looking for copper tape source locally but havent found one yet. Local radio shack doesn't carry copper tape for laying circuit board tracks. Found "Deco Tape" at Michaels but its an assortment of different types and size of metalic tapes, copper included. The package costs about $15. I didn't buy it because I think that is a bit too expensive. There is another hobby electronics store here in town, I will check them out today. I hope they would have some cheap copper tape. Also if someone has Fry's Electronics nearby, they can probably pick up copper tapes pretty cheap. here are the links to fry's tapes:

http://shop4.outpost.com/{3mEEkPJcm39bmT4nbqW4Qg**.node2}/product/593692;jsessionid=3mEEkPJcm39bmT4nbqW4Qg**.node2?s ite=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

http://shop4.outpost.com/{3mEEkPJcm39bmT4nbqW4Qg**.node2}/product/593702;jsessionid=3mEEkPJcm39bmT4nbqW4Qg**.node2?s ite=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

I will update you guys about what I find at the local electronics store.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 04:33 PM
Joined Nov 2003
176 Posts
Alright folks... my options are running out for finding copper tape. Just spoke with the local electronics store guy and they dont carry copper tapes anymore. Thats the disadvantage of living in a small city! I guess I am gonna have to bite the bullet and order it online.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 06:48 PM
san jose ,CA
Joined Jun 2004
541 Posts
i believe people use it in gardens to keep slugs and snails out
rumplestilskin is offline Find More Posts by rumplestilskin
Old Sep 12, 2006, 11:27 AM
Will work for foam
United States, WI, Muskego
Joined Apr 2005
1,502 Posts
Try checking with a place that repairs or sells supplies for making stained glass. they will have it in all different widths and reasonable. it is used to line the edge of the glass so that the solder will hold the pieces together.
wingnutt is offline Find More Posts by wingnutt