HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 01, 2006, 10:04 AM
I Crash Things!!
Euclid, Ohio
Joined Apr 2006
146 Posts
Alert
Permit Needed for R/C in Cleveland Metroparks!

I had an appointment in Bay Village this morning. I got there about 1/2 hour early and saw this wonderful open area with no one around (it was 8:30am) grass and no obstacles at the Cleveland Metroparks Baycrafters Huntington Playhouse - basically it is the front yard area between the Playhouse and RT2. Threw Flopsy in the air and less than 3 minutes later I hear "Do you have a permit for R/C flying?" It was the park ranger. I was polite and shut it down. She gave me the main number (216-351-6300) and stated she didn't think it cost anything but may require a club membership to apply, not as an individual. I'm not going to argue with her, but I wanted to share my experience. She said I was a great pilot and the plane was very pretty, but I had to have a permit. Isn't Edgewater part of the Cleveland Metroparks? Has anyone else had an experience with this?

I called the number and was told I needed to talk to Mike Barnhart at x3264, but that he would not be available until Tuesday after 9:30am.

BUSTED!!!
romranger is offline Find More Posts by romranger
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2006, 10:54 AM
Lazy dog
Lakewood, Ohio
Joined May 2005
2,409 Posts
Edgewater is not part of the metroparks, it's a state park iirc. Different rules.
I've never heard of a permit for the Metroparks, I've always heard that it was just not allowed. There would be lot's of nice places to fly (and slope) but I think the rules were made back before the advent of electric fliers that tend to be smaller and quieter than the gassers. Might be interesting to see their view on slope fliers seeing as how there is no motor/prop. May be worth an ask one day...
OhioPete is offline Find More Posts by OhioPete
Old Sep 01, 2006, 12:29 PM
Mayor of Simpleton
Cleveland, OH, USA
Joined Oct 2002
2,193 Posts
I've been tossed from Brookside (Metro Park) twice by two different rangers. The one female ranger even whipped out a code book while I packed it up and said, "You're lucky that I don't write you up." I just smiled and said, "Thanks". Another time was supervisor, didn't see if he had one bar or two. He threatened to take my stuff. An on duty Cleveland LT, who was chatting and watching me, told the ranger, "I wouldn't try that if I were you". Again I just smiled and packed up my stuff. It's a shame, both times there were no one around.

Tommy
Tommy632 is offline Find More Posts by Tommy632
Old Sep 01, 2006, 12:37 PM
Road-Runnerus Digestus
willoughby
Joined Oct 2005
596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy632
I've been tossed from Brookside (Metro Park) twice by two different rangers. The one female ranger even whipped out a code book while I packed it up and said, "You're lucky that I don't write you up." I just smiled and said, "Thanks". Another time was supervisor, didn't see if he had one bar or two. He threatened to take my stuff. An on duty Cleveland LT, who was chatting and watching me, told the ranger, "I wouldn't try that if I were you". Again I just smiled and packed up my stuff. It's a shame, both times there were no one around.

Tommy

Tommy, I thought that was you!

bill
wile_e_coyote is offline Find More Posts by wile_e_coyote
Last edited by wile_e_coyote; Sep 02, 2006 at 11:39 AM.
Old Sep 01, 2006, 01:35 PM
Lazy dog
Lakewood, Ohio
Joined May 2005
2,409 Posts
Naw, Tommy would be one of the guys with the helmet and baton
OhioPete is offline Find More Posts by OhioPete
Old Sep 01, 2006, 03:35 PM
Maz
Mig Killer
Broadview Heights, Oh, USA
Joined Mar 2004
882 Posts
Tommy- I`ve flown down there 3 times without incident. Must have just got lucky.
Maz is offline Find More Posts by Maz
Old Sep 01, 2006, 04:28 PM
Suspended Account
Mentor, OH
Joined Dec 2004
8,426 Posts
tommy, you should have pulled out YOUR badge and said
"look, my badge is bigger than yours so scram!"
sgtdirt is offline Find More Posts by sgtdirt
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 01, 2006, 05:01 PM
crash,glue,matches,fire
euclid ohio
Joined Aug 2006
60 Posts
good day all, just to let you know ,,stay out of the lake co. metro parks,,a freind and i were flyin at rogers field just south east of squiers castle for 8 sundays in a row and saw nobody or jack ranger,,then one day there he was!! pack them up and get out the man said,and stay out of the lake metro parks system with them!! he was big and ulgy so we said yes sir,shame that there are all them places that nobody goes to and we get the boot..
opyeuclid is offline Find More Posts by opyeuclid
Old Sep 01, 2006, 05:08 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,142 Posts
I really need to get in contact with my old high school buddy, he is Park Manager for Park Operations. We discussed the RC issue at my reunion last year, he said no problem. Guess I need to get off my butt and see if he can do what he said he could (now that the shots have worn off).

Don
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 01, 2006, 06:48 PM
Remember the 131st TFW MO ANG
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined May 2005
988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by romranger
Threw Flopsy in the air and less than 3 minutes later I hear "Do you have a permit for R/C flying?" It was the park ranger. I was polite and shut it down. She gave me the main number (216-351-6300) and stated she didn't think it cost anything but may require a club membership to apply, not as an individual.
I see this as good news, in that maybe the Metroparks are relaxing a bit about their RC policies. Up until now, I heard you were not allowed, period.
NanoSio2 is offline Find More Posts by NanoSio2
Old Sep 01, 2006, 07:02 PM
Cleveland, Ohio
Joined Jul 2006
1,563 Posts
You know, I can understand there might be a regulation against RC in the parks, but what I don't understand is;

Adult (w/maybe kids with them)
No one else around
Hobby that makes very little if any noise
Quiet enjoyment

Why the attitude by the Rangers when informing them that R/C is not permitted in the park? Especially if you are polite and respectful when asked to leave. I don't think the threat to confiscate Tommy's stuff was a necessary or appropriate behavior on the ranger's part.

I think there are other "sanctioned" activities that are more annoying to the wildlife and other park goers (Remember the lady at Rocky River Reservation who was riding a bike and got nailed by a soccer ball - she of course sued the boy. Not only that, try walking or jogging on the all purpose trail when there are cyclists around)

I just don't get it.
Taylorman is offline Find More Posts by Taylorman
Old Sep 01, 2006, 11:43 PM
Mayday!
USA, OH, Olmsted Falls
Joined Sep 2005
1,246 Posts
When I first started last fall, I went to all the local metroparks. I was politely asked to leave the park in Berea and was unpolitely told to leave the Lewis road Riding Ring.

Tim
Newtron is offline Find More Posts by Newtron
Old Sep 02, 2006, 06:14 AM
Ohio
Joined Jul 2005
62 Posts
Brought back some memories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by opyeuclid
good day all, just to let you know ,,stay out of the lake co. metro parks,,a freind and i were flyin at rogers field just south east of squiers castle for 8 sundays in a row and saw nobody or jack ranger,,then one day there he was!! pack them up and get out the man said,and stay out of the lake metro parks system with them!! he was big and ulgy so we said yes sir,shame that there are all them places that nobody goes to and we get the boot..
I started flying R/C for the first time 2 years ago with my AeroBird Challenger
out at Rogers field. It was the closest field to my house at the time and I
flew there at least 10 times if not more with no incident. Eventually they
stopped mowing it, and the grass and weeds grew 10 ft high! I found
Sagamore hills park and never went back.
Sorry to hear what happened to you, I have some great memories of that
place and it is a shame that they have decided ban us from flying there.

I know sagamore hills might be a long drive for you, but come out and fly with
us one Sunday if you haven't already.

Harlan
H-Fly is offline Find More Posts by H-Fly
Old Sep 02, 2006, 07:57 AM
Cleveland
Joined Jun 2002
2,316 Posts
I agree 100% with the above postings. I do not agree with decision to ban RC flying in the Metroparks but I do understand it. Its easier for the rangers to run us out than to make a judgement call if a plane is gas or electric, dangerous or not.

I have a Metropark "rap sheet" myself. They have taken my name and address too many times for me to feel comfortable with. Im afraid the next time my gear will get confiscated. I have nothing but the utmost respect for people that accept occupations that place them in danger to protect me (soldiers, police, firemen, etc.). However, Im not sure the attitude Ive received is warranted by someone who's primary job IS GUARDING TREES! Im starting to get worked about this again.

I see the title of the thread is 'Permit Required". Now seriously, whats the chance of actually getting a permit? My money is on no. I am in the Metroparks maybe 6 out of 7 days a week. I have seen all kinds of activities ranging from out of people hitting stolen buckets of stolen driving range golf balls to control bike wipeouts, dog vs jogger standoffs, all the way to activities in the backseat of a car that would make Richard Simmons blush (remember I live in Lakewood, your imagination can fill in the blanks). For all this crap that I see, if I even think of flying down there "Ranger Rita" (who once pulled my wife over, didnt give her a reason but did ask her for her personal phone number to "discuss it later") would have me cuffed and stuffed so fast my head would spin.

What I sincerely think will happen is that as this technology progresses, we will see more and more of the "firebird" type planes. Cheap, easy to fly, fun for anybody planes. Since there are no posted rules prohibiting these planes, the situation will come to a head. Either they will have to create a designated spot for "us" or post signs and step up enforcement. I cant believe there hasnt been a more high profile accident yet that gets a lot of attention and leads to a huge ban of every local and state park. I hate to say it but I see it coming. Thats why I think our park at Sagamore is such a blessing.
Carnifax is offline Find More Posts by Carnifax
Old Sep 02, 2006, 08:11 AM
one game away...
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Apr 2004
3,891 Posts
It's a heck of a lot easier for them to just say 'no' than to try to classify types of planes and issue a permit of some kind. That's my concern in my local parks and schoolyards. One idiot flying over people, a ballgame or parkinglot that has a mishap will likely ruin it for everybody. I also worry about noisy flying wings early in the morning. All it takes is one pissed-off local to complain to council that he's being woke up at 7:30 or 8:00AM by planes in the park. Up go the signs, 'No RC Flying Permitted'.
PerfectStranger is offline Find More Posts by PerfectStranger
Last edited by mattalbr; Sep 02, 2006 at 08:16 AM.