Old Aug 13, 2002, 10:17 AM
No "R" !!!!!!!
Where Spacemen Live (TX)
Joined Jan 2000
1,098 Posts
Aug. 31: Thunderbirds 40th Anniversary Airshow - Ft. Worth, TX

40th Anniversary Airshow

31st August!!

The Ft. Worth Thunderbirds R/C club has hit it's 40th year of operation.

Come and shoot down an aircraft with a paint-ball gun or fly one of several computer based flight simulators. You can eat, show off you models, fly, or relax. Bring your family and friends!

This in not a electric event per say, but electric fliers are welcome and invited to come fly!

More info soon at: http://www.fwthunderbirds.org/
Fitz Walker is online now Find More Posts by Fitz Walker
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2002, 08:30 AM
Involuntary Beta Tester
Joined Jan 2002
8,288 Posts
Count me in.

Kelvin
kelvin is offline Find More Posts by kelvin
Old Aug 27, 2002, 10:27 AM
No "R" !!!!!!!
Where Spacemen Live (TX)
Joined Jan 2000
1,098 Posts
This weekend!!!

Some more info now online:

http://www.fwthunderbirds.org/40th_anniversary.htm
Old Aug 27, 2002, 01:41 PM
Involuntary Beta Tester
Joined Jan 2002
8,288 Posts
Paintball shootdown! How does that work?

Kelvin
Old Aug 27, 2002, 04:36 PM
No "R" !!!!!!!
Where Spacemen Live (TX)
Joined Jan 2000
1,098 Posts
From what I understand. For a few bucks, we give you a paintball gun and a bunch of ammo for you to try to nail an r/c plane as it flies by. Whatever happens, happens.

Old Aug 28, 2002, 08:17 AM
Involuntary Beta Tester
Joined Jan 2002
8,288 Posts
I guess I won't be flying my LT when that starts up. It's too big of a target.

Kelvin
Old Sep 01, 2002, 07:54 AM
Involuntary Beta Tester
Joined Jan 2002
8,288 Posts
Thanks

Thanks, Fitz for inviting us. Although there were a lot of demonstrations and flying time was limited I was able to get in 3 flights on my LT-25, one for the Kwik-E and one for the Impress.

It was a large turnout of predominately glow planes of all shapes and sizes. A lot of spectators showed up. There were some tubine jets but they didn't fly. A couple of glow ducted fan jets flew, an F-86 with retracts and a T-33 with retracts. Very nice. The paintball shootout was funny. Three or fours glow trainers would fly a pattern and as they passed but the paint ball guns would open up on them. There were quite a few hits and some covering was torn and hanging off those planes.

I brought my 3 planes, David, aka Black96z, brought his new Venus and Estreak. Fitz had his hotliner, a some sorta ducted fan foamy jet.

David's Venus was impressive considering it was only his 2nd, 3rd and 4th flights with it. Talk about a kid with a new toy! He was beaming.

It was fun watching David's Estreak keep up with a glow powered GP Shoestring as it raced down the runway flying a pylon pattern.

Maybe next year there will be more electrics.

Thanks again

Kelvin
Old Sep 03, 2002, 03:27 PM
No "R" !!!!!!!
Where Spacemen Live (TX)
Joined Jan 2000
1,098 Posts
Kelvin,

Glad you had a good time. Some of the glow guys were talking about your way overpowered LT-25 and David's highly impressive Venus. In fact, as a direct result of what they saw, they asked me to help them in doing some e-conversions of glow planes.

By the way, the ducted fan Jet i had is called a Fan Trainer. It is most certainly not a foamy (only the canopy is foam), the rest is balsa and Monokote.

Next up, DEAF!
Old Sep 03, 2002, 09:50 PM
Arlington ,Tx ,USA
Joined Dec 2000
328 Posts
It was a great show, what we got to see, we left about 12:00. We sat at one of the picnic tables by the lake, so we didn't have to look into the sun! I got to dig an electric ducted fan plane out of the weeds that got weak on charge, very BIG weeds, so I did get some excitement out of the day! Of course, having all those planes flying around over our heads was kind of scary! We were right under the flight pattern most of the time!
Duane is offline Find More Posts by Duane
Old Sep 04, 2002, 12:40 PM
Involuntary Beta Tester
Joined Jan 2002
8,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Fitz Walker
Kelvin,

Glad you had a good time. Some of the glow guys were talking about your way overpowered LT-25 and David's highly impressive Venus.
By the way, the ducted fan Jet i had is called a Fan Trainer. It is most certainly not a foamy (only the canopy is foam), the rest is balsa and Monokote.

Next up, DEAF!
No such thing as overpowered. I need to add two more cells :-).

Sorry about the Fan trainer description. Where's your F-18? That would have been a great demo.

We didn't think we were making any impressions. I'm glad we raised a few questions.

Kelvin
Old Sep 04, 2002, 01:11 PM
No "R" !!!!!!!
Where Spacemen Live (TX)
Joined Jan 2000
1,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kelvin

No such thing as overpowered. I need to add two more cells :-).

Sorry about the Fan trainer description. Where's your F-18? That would have been a great demo.

We didn't think we were making any impressions. I'm glad we raised a few questions.

Kelvin
Another cell, eh? You've been talking to Greg G.?

Sorry, I sold the F-18 about a month ago during a celearance sale I had. I have a F4D that needs to get finished.