HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 08, 2006, 05:50 PM
No Wind
Long Island
Joined Jul 2006
292 Posts
Thanks Charlie.
I recently ordered from National Balsa. Great price, great service.
Chris
65Chevelle is offline Find More Posts by 65Chevelle
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2006, 03:59 PM
No Wind
Long Island
Joined Jul 2006
292 Posts
The Rhinebeck show was nice. Even a couple of electrics there. It was their 40th year at Rhinebeck. I even spoke a bit with a great guy, designer Nick Ziroli Sr..

Okay, got a few things done today. Fuse is almost complete. Dry fitting all the parts and it actually looks pretty good. I love this design.

Chris
Old Sep 10, 2006, 05:16 PM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,181 Posts
Witchcraft! No-one builds fuselages that square... Looking good Chris - very elegant design, isn't it?

Steve
Redbaron25 is offline Find More Posts by Redbaron25
Old Sep 10, 2006, 05:24 PM
CA, meet fingers...
Wellington, New Zealand
Joined Aug 2006
47 Posts
Has he been sacrificing chickens to the Gods of Geometric Precision again??

Ev. :-)
EpochNZ is offline Find More Posts by EpochNZ
Old Sep 10, 2006, 05:45 PM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,920 Posts
Nah, I think he's got some of those "calibrated eyeballs'. I suprize myself sometimes, but usually I don't get things all that perfect.
Looooeeee! is offline Find More Posts by Looooeeee!
Old Sep 10, 2006, 06:01 PM
CA, meet fingers...
Wellington, New Zealand
Joined Aug 2006
47 Posts
Just as an aside, I am constantly amazed how some individuals possess a "square eye". I know a guy who builds exquisite model locomotives out of brass and he can successfully true up components by eye. A skill I unfortunatley dont have, as he pointed out to me on numerous occasions!

Ev. :-)
EpochNZ is offline Find More Posts by EpochNZ
Old Sep 10, 2006, 07:35 PM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,181 Posts
My Dad's that way - he builds a lot of his railroad models by 'guesstimation'...and they usually turn out spot on! He can also look at an object and tell you it's dimensions almost to the nearest millimetre.

Steve
Redbaron25 is offline Find More Posts by Redbaron25
Old Sep 11, 2006, 01:51 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,604 Posts
Chris,
Absolutely super looking model mate.

Yes, my father was a bit like that too, only with model ships. He always built totally from scratch, carving a half model first, to get all the frame shapes. It amazed me how he could trim away at the half model and suddenly pronounce that it was finally the correct shape. I could never see any difference. Probably why I never built any model ships - apart from a rather crude WW2 destroyer for electric RC.

Pete
PETERRAKE is online now Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Sep 11, 2006, 04:03 PM
No Wind
Long Island
Joined Jul 2006
292 Posts
Well, as you know, some times it just works out. Definately not allways the case.

Pete: Another question. UC wire "B" shows to be bound to the rear of F4. Also a balsa fill piece is to be installed in front of F4. It looks like wire "B" will be difficult to install behind F4 without notching into F4, to provide support.
Since the front of F4 will have the balsa filler, can "B" be intalled in front of F4?
Chris
Old Sep 11, 2006, 05:10 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,604 Posts
Chris,
B is actually bound to the bottom of F4, outside the fuselage. It's totally non load bearing and is only there because it should be. Oh yes, it holds the skid at the correct angle too. So, instead of bending the ends over and binding in place, you could always leave them upright, drill the fuselage and just CA it in place. That is actually how I show it on the Nieuport IV drawings. On that, the entire u/c may be fitted after the fuselage is covered.
The pieces of wood you see at F4, on the top view, aren't supports, they are the upright strips of F4.

Pete
Old Sep 11, 2006, 05:48 PM
No Wind
Long Island
Joined Jul 2006
292 Posts
Okay, so per the plan, its bound to the bottom of F4 and actually acts like a hinge. I thought it was bound behind F4, my misinterpretation. Adding "bind to bottom of F4" would be helpful to someone like me. Easy to add the word "bottom" to your existing note.
I've already bent up the UC pieces so I'll just bind it. The front UC is bound way up on F2 so it has to be installed before covering.
Oh, and yes I do know the top view shows the F4 uprights. I was refering to the 3/32" balsa fill piece, bottom only. I thought if "B" was bound to front then this fill piece would add support. If mounted on rear of F4 then upright would require notching. Never mind, I understand now
Thanks again, Chris
Old Sep 12, 2006, 02:29 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,604 Posts
Chris,
Modified note added to plan mate. You'll see the difference between the two methods when I send the plan file for the Nieuport IV.

Pete
Old Sep 12, 2006, 06:49 PM
No Wind
Long Island
Joined Jul 2006
292 Posts
Pete: I decided against binding the rear UC. I took your method of drilling and gluing in place. A lot easier. I had to rebend new wire since the old one snapped trying to straighten it out.
A couple of other minor comments regarding the drawings.
The 3 control horn supports are not on the cut sheet. The optional rudder isn't either. Might be nice having these lasered too. I cut out the rudder for my build, I didn't feel like laminating that one.
A little progress, more pics on their way soon.
Chris
Last edited by 65Chevelle; Sep 12, 2006 at 07:23 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 07:51 PM
No Wind
Long Island
Joined Jul 2006
292 Posts
Here's the majority of the undercarriage in place.
Also that big old bamboo rod split apart.
Having ahard time finding wire wheels at 2". Tried the local toy shops as Pete suggested, nothing. I may have to buy a set?? If I had access to a jig
I might attempt to make my own.
Anyone remember a website in Florida selling hand made wheels? I think they were about $10-15?
Chris
Old Sep 12, 2006, 08:39 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,546 Posts
Chris,

If you want to make your own you can use the PVC pipe method. For a 2" OD you' need about 1" PVC pipe (1" is ID) with about a 1/4" dia neoprene cord or tubing for tire.

Then you have to decide on how to lace it. Pete had both a thread in here as well as an article in FSM on how to make them. To go that small you need a good pair of heavy tweezers as well.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb