SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 31, 2006, 08:08 PM
No Wind
Long Island
Joined Jul 2006
292 Posts
Build Log
Peter Rake IPS Nieuport Mono

Well I've put aside the IPS Scout for a little while and have recently started a new build.

You can't miss that elevator design. I really like it.
This may be a slow build since work just got crazy for me but I'll post more as time allows.
So far the plans look really good and I don't see too many issues. Right now I forsee that my biggest problem will be finding a jig to make my own wire wheels.
I also tried a little experimenting with aluminum foil and lye. I'll ask for opinions and add a pic at a later date. Looks like a few more "firsts" for me on this build.
I've been buiding a little here and there as time allows. I'm really falling for this design. That Swallow tail got to me.
I want to thank Pete for letting do this build. I do really appreciate it.
Chris
65Chevelle is offline Find More Posts by 65Chevelle
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2006, 02:36 AM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,181 Posts
Welcome to the '2 or more models on the go at once' club, Chris! I agree that tail is very graceful and attractive - they don't make 'em like that any more, do they.

Steve
Redbaron25 is offline Find More Posts by Redbaron25
Old Sep 01, 2006, 03:51 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,721 Posts
Chris,
Welcome aboard mate.
The Nieuport IV is actually quite a lot different to the one you're building, not just around the tail and cowl. However, I only have to add the text to a 30" version of that too.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Sep 01, 2006, 08:19 PM
No Wind
Long Island
Joined Jul 2006
292 Posts
That will definately be a nice one to build Pete.
Which derivation? Is it like what I attached previously?
Chris
Old Sep 01, 2006, 08:43 PM
Kansas is windy.
Wichita, KS
Joined Jun 2003
1,538 Posts
Wire Wheel Jig

Chris,

Dare designs makes a jig as well as a kit to make wire wheels. I orderd a jig & wheel kit (2 1/4") for my Castaibert wheels from Pat Tritle. He can be reached at PatsCustomModels@aol.com.

I have a problem with working on two at once. I usually just set one aside- the danger there is not picking it up again!
pburress is online now Find More Posts by pburress
Old Sep 02, 2006, 01:10 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,721 Posts
Chris,
Yes, pretty much what you posted, but with this tail shape.

Pete
Old Sep 02, 2006, 05:53 AM
No Wind
Long Island
Joined Jul 2006
292 Posts
Pete, I came across that one too. Pretty unique.
Here's one more variation. I like the clean cowling on this one.

pburress, Thanks for the info. I remember a thread here regarding scratch building wire wheels. I'll have to find it again. I believe the jig described in the thread would allow buiding of various diameter wheels. An adjustable jig. It utilized pvc pipe for the rim.

Chris
Old Sep 02, 2006, 08:52 AM
Charleston, SC, USA
Joined Jan 2001
199 Posts
"I remember a thread here regarding scratch building wire wheels. I'll have to find it again. I believe the jig described in the thread would allow buiding of various diameter wheels. An adjustable jig. It utilized pvc pipe for the rim. "

Chris, When you find that link would you please post it for us? I've got to make a set of wheels for my Sommer Monoplane. Thaks,

Mark
markie is offline Find More Posts by markie
Old Sep 02, 2006, 10:19 AM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,181 Posts
Here's Peter's thread on the 'PVC pipe' spoked wheels...
www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186335

and also another one I found...
www.flyrc.com/articles/wheels_wheels_1.shtml

Steve
Redbaron25 is offline Find More Posts by Redbaron25
Old Sep 02, 2006, 02:45 PM
No Wind
Long Island
Joined Jul 2006
292 Posts
Ahhh, Thanks Steve.
Here's a couple more pics of the mono build.
Pete, I assume that you want this model built according to the plans with minimal deviations? I have a couple of minor questions/comments. I'll send them along later.
Chris
Old Sep 02, 2006, 02:47 PM
No Wind
Long Island
Joined Jul 2006
292 Posts
Oops, forgot the pics.....
Here they are.
Old Sep 04, 2006, 06:14 AM
No Wind
Long Island
Joined Jul 2006
292 Posts
The wings are completed. Only needs final sanding.
On to the fuse.
Chris
Old Sep 04, 2006, 10:32 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,721 Posts
Chris,
Looking really good mate. I'm still waiting for your queries re options though.
On the subject of wheels, bearing in mind that you can afford weight in front of the balance point, had you considered using the wheels off one of those little toy m/cycles or BMX type bikes. They look okay and are pretty cheap. I usually scour the discount shops for such items and picked up a couple of Ducatis with wheels just a shade over 1" diameter. Two quite nice pairs of spoked wheels for 2. Always worth buying two the same because front and rear wheels aren't always identical. I have, in the past picked up other sizes, more suited to your needs. Saves a lot of work and is much cheaper than those Czech made spoked wheels I normally use on small models - 10 a pair.

Pete
Old Sep 04, 2006, 06:14 PM
No Wind
Long Island
Joined Jul 2006
292 Posts
Pete: I hadn't thought of the toy motorcycle/ bicycle wheels. What a good idea. I was thinking of making my own and have been searching the net for a plan on making the jig. Toys might be an easier option.
As for the questions/comments: I built in the rib dihedral based on former F3/F3A. There is no dihedral given on the plan. I trust the former since this is a plan for a laser kit.
The rigging blocks in the wings go from top to bottom. I had to look it up on your original build. This was not clear to me from the plans. No rigging details or information is shown regarding the rigging. I don't know if you normally show this but it would be helpful.
I'm going to take off the motor thrust angle straight off the drawing since it isn't specified. Okay?
Lastly, built up former F4 is incorrectly labeled as 3/32 x 3/6. That should be 3/16?
All minor, but I wanted to mention them. I'll be working on the fuse starting tomorrow.
Chris
Old Sep 04, 2006, 08:08 PM
No Wind
Long Island
Joined Jul 2006
292 Posts
Here's a pic of my aluminum foil experiment on a piece of scrap balsa. I tried to duplicate the aluminum finish for the cowl. The raw aluminum foil is too bright so I shot it with some lye from oven cleaner to dull the surface. Is it still too shiney?
I tried to keep the lye off the left side. As you can hopefully see, the right is some what duller.
Chris