Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 31, 2006, 03:53 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,404 Posts
New Product
New Fliton's Andrew Jesky Extra 330S Coming soon!

I had the opportunity to build and fly a pre-production version of Fliton's new "mid sized" Extra 330S, co-designed with Andrew Jesky. Let me tell you guys, if you thought the mini Extra 330 flew nice, wait until you fly this bad boy. It is the perfect ship for those who wants the performance of big Extra 330 freestyle, but do not have the space (either in the hanger or flying field). We were able to easily take off and land this plane in a local high school field. The light wing loading makes it even possible to fly at local parks.

Some highlights of the kit:
- Two piece wing with carbon tube jointer, similar to the larger Extra 330 freestyle.
- Beefy fiberglass cowling. Nicely painted to match the trim.
- Airfoil on all tail surfaces!
- Good strong landing gear that matches scheme
- Andrew Jesky color scheme
- Large Removable top hatch
- Tail Wheel
- Varying Top/Bottom Covering Surfaces
- Counter Balance on the Elevators and Rudder

Here are the equipment used in my test ship:
Motor: Eflight Power 15
ESC: Schulze Universal 18.46 (any 40 amps ESC would do)
Prop: 13x6.5
Battery: Two 3s-1800 fliton 20C battery in 3s2p configuration
Servo: 4x Hitec HS-81MG
Receiver: Futaba FP-148DP

Wingspan: 51"
Empty Weight: 25-26oz
AUW: 48oz (3lbs) w/ (4)HS-81 servos
Amps: 43amps

Initial impression: AWSOME! The plane tracks perfectly even in breezy condition, probably due to the larger size. I am not a hot doggin 3D pilot like Andrew, but it has enough aileron/rudder authority to do all the manuevers. Wings were stable during harrier type manuvers, no rocking was observed. Perfect hands off inverted flight without any corrections. Axil roll is dead on straight, and exhibit no bad tendencies. With the power system I had, it could knife edge all day long, and knife edge loop was easily achievable. One spectator actually commented this would be an excellent practice plane for IMAC type contests. But for me this has become my new favorite everyday plane.

According to Fliton, this plane should be available within the next few month. Here are some photos of the prototype (I'll add photos with full decals soon). Some of the pieces may change in the final production model.

[Andrew's Build Thread]

[Flying Video1]
[Flying Video2]

Here is also a thread Andrew started in his forum: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...55#post5996598

Link to more photos:
[Link1]
[Link2]
[Link3 - Parts closeup]
[Link5 - More Parts closeup]

Steph280 is online now Find More Posts by Steph280
Last edited by Steph280; Oct 18, 2006 at 01:38 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2006, 04:22 PM
Test your skills....fly IMAC!!
Swanton, Ohio
Joined Feb 2005
7,990 Posts
I am hoping to get my hands on one of these next weekend. Andrew is going to the Thisledowns fly-in with his and I hope to convince him to let me fly his.

Tim

- Looks like it could be a very nice model, will be interesting to see the pricing on this once Fliton releases it.
sun.flyer is offline Find More Posts by sun.flyer
Old Aug 31, 2006, 04:23 PM
Swanton, Ohio
Joined Feb 2005
7,990 Posts
What kind of flight times are you getting on the Fliton 3s2p?

Tim
Old Aug 31, 2006, 05:37 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,404 Posts
I had timer set at 6 minutes, but I would think 8-9 minutes certainly is possible. Plan to do some more flying this weekend to get more data.
Steph280 is online now Find More Posts by Steph280
Old Aug 31, 2006, 09:27 PM
Monroe, Michigan
Joined Oct 2002
1,645 Posts
Hi all,

I am very excited with the release of this airplane right around the corner. I will hopefully have some flight videos and pictures up this weekend.

Andrew

PS: If anyone has any questions about this airplane please feel free to ask. I feel that between Stephen, Edson, and myself we should be able to get you an anwser.
Andrew Jesky is online now Find More Posts by Andrew Jesky
Old Aug 31, 2006, 09:38 PM
toledo, oh, usa
Joined Nov 1999
1,403 Posts
andrew how high will it fly

foss1997 is offline Find More Posts by foss1997
Old Aug 31, 2006, 09:57 PM
Grandville, MI
Joined Dec 2003
2,216 Posts
Andrew,

With the recent announcement that Fliton has become a Horizon Hobby exclusive brand, could this be one reason that the prototype shown at the top of the page is equipped with an Eflite Power 15?
r/cdawg is online now Find More Posts by r/cdawg
Old Aug 31, 2006, 11:26 PM
Monroe, Michigan
Joined Oct 2002
1,645 Posts
Foster,

About at high as your Evo 50 when I fly it.LOL Still sorry about that dude

RC,

I really didnt know to much about this build but it would make a little bit of sense that it uses this motor. I myself use the HackerA30-10xl which works really nice. It has a ton of power at a good weight. I will have to pick up both motors and give them a few tests.

Andrew
Old Sep 05, 2006, 08:31 AM
Flyer of R/C Planes
USA, CA, Covina
Joined Dec 2004
505 Posts
She is beautiful and no doubt with Andrew involved it will be a winner.

This size of plane is too large for "park flying" IMO.
Mini Buzzard is offline Find More Posts by Mini Buzzard
Old Sep 05, 2006, 09:52 AM
Reserved Parking
Joined Jun 2004
926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini Buzzard
She is beautiful and no doubt with Andrew involved it will be a winner.

This size of plane is too large for "park flying" IMO.
Actually, I was thinking that the nose looks rather, well, "boxy" and weird.
P-51C is offline Find More Posts by P-51C
Old Sep 05, 2006, 01:08 PM
Monroe, Michigan
Joined Oct 2002
1,645 Posts
The airplane is a bit bigger then most but was designed with that in mind. The airplane does fly well at low speeds. I flew it last night in my backyard without a problem. I will post some pics of that tonight.

As for the cowl and front end we have changed the front end and t will not look so boxy.

Andrew
Old Sep 05, 2006, 02:32 PM
Swanton, Ohio
Joined Feb 2005
7,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy91
The airplane is a bit bigger then most but was designed with that in mind. The airplane does fly well at low speeds. I flew it last night in my backyard without a problem. I will post some pics of that tonight.

As for the cowl and front end we have changed the front end and t will not look so boxy.

Andrew
Andrew,

The wing airfoil looks kind of thick from the pictures above, any idea what percent airfoil will be on the production models? Any numbers on the watts/amps you are pulling with your setup? Thanks

Tim

-Looking forward to seeing some pictures of this flying in your "backyard". Is your "backyard" a small airfield?
Old Sep 05, 2006, 02:59 PM
NJ
Joined Aug 2003
8,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun.flyer
-Looking forward to seeing some pictures of this flying in your "backyard". Is your "backyard" a small airfield?
If in fact the AUW is 3 lbs small field flying should be very realistic. I have flown the large Extra in some pretty small fields and that weighs 6 1/4 lbs.
mexico is offline Find More Posts by mexico
Old Sep 05, 2006, 05:20 PM
Swanton, Ohio
Joined Feb 2005
7,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexico
If in fact the AUW is 3 lbs small field flying should be very realistic. I have flown the large Extra in some pretty small fields and that weighs 6 1/4 lbs.
Agreed!!

Tim
Old Sep 05, 2006, 06:08 PM
NJ
Joined Aug 2003
8,892 Posts
I wonder what the heck they can call this one - It's not the Extra - that's already taken. Mini Extra - nope. Taken. Is it the Midi Extra? I sure hope not.
Maybe you should have made it easy and made it a Giles or a Yak

Now when will the scaled up, 73" 12 lb version be out? How sweeeet would that be...
mexico is offline Find More Posts by mexico