SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 12, 2002, 05:32 PM
Acme Powered!
Orange,CA
Joined Jul 2000
4,040 Posts
Making your own decals and markings with your PC?

Hi guys, I want to try making my own decals and markings for my Jets with my PC. I am going to get myself a new flatbed scanner so I can go to the plastic model store and pick out decal sheets and blow them up and print them on my printer. Question I have is? Does anyone know the name of the decal media that you can run through an inkjet printer and its self adhesive? The stuff I heard about comes with a spray can of some type of top cover to keep the ink protected? Has anybody used this system?
Thanks Joe
Joe Elston is offline Find More Posts by Joe Elston
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2002, 07:00 PM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,572 Posts
Re: Making your own decals and markings with your PC?

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Elston
Hi guys, I want to try making my own decals and markings for my Jets with my PC. I am going to get myself a new flatbed scanner so I can go to the plastic model store and pick out decal sheets and blow them up and print them on my printer. Question I have is? Does anyone know the name of the decal media that you can run through an inkjet printer and its self adhesive? The stuff I heard about comes with a spray can of some type of top cover to keep the ink protected? Has anybody used this system?
Thanks Joe
Yup. It's called; "Search Engine"

I can highly recommend using it as it almost always gives satisfactory results.

Dan
DanSavage is offline Find More Posts by DanSavage
Old Aug 12, 2002, 09:25 PM
Acme Powered!
Orange,CA
Joined Jul 2000
4,040 Posts
Still looking

Guy's I am still looking for the Inkjet decal media system that I read about. It comes with the clear protective spray and the clear decal stock is self adhesive.
Any help would be great.
Thanks Joe
Old Aug 12, 2002, 09:32 PM
SoCal, Year Round Flying!
Newport Beach, CA
Joined May 2002
5,745 Posts
Use the search in the parkflyers forum.
Type in > inkjet decals
you'll find a pretty complete "How to" with pictures and I thought I saw some pics with the decal stock used.

Bruce
P.S. I still gotta learn how to insert hyperlinks!
bmiller is offline Find More Posts by bmiller
Old Aug 12, 2002, 09:50 PM
Hmm, kerosene... :)
Weert(LB) - the Netherlands
Joined May 2002
953 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bmiller
Use the search in the parkflyers forum.
Type in > inkjet decals
you'll find a pretty complete "How to" with pictures and I thought I saw some pics with the decal stock used.

Bruce
P.S. I still gotta learn how to insert hyperlinks!
Bruce, just type them. The board makes links from them automagically.

or use the tags/buttons above the edit-box.
or type them directly :
well, something like that anyways..

Hans
NightSwan is offline Find More Posts by NightSwan
Old Aug 13, 2002, 12:37 AM
SoCal, Year Round Flying!
Newport Beach, CA
Joined May 2002
5,745 Posts
Thanks Hans I'll practice that
bmiller is offline Find More Posts by bmiller
Old Aug 13, 2002, 03:57 AM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,572 Posts
Sorry.

Joe,

Upon re-reading my post I can see that it came across sounding harsher than was intended. It wasn't meant that way.

Check out the discussion on the Scale Modeling thread titled, "Inkjet Graphics."

(http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=54613)

I checked out Papilio's web site and they have some cool graphics material. The most interesting to me is the temporary tattoo paper. Seem to be reasonably priced, too.

I think they also have the types of paper that you described. I'm not sure if you can buy it locally.

I hope this helps.

Dan
DanSavage is offline Find More Posts by DanSavage
Last edited by DanSavage; Aug 13, 2002 at 04:00 AM.
Old Aug 13, 2002, 09:34 AM
Joined Aug 2000
3,922 Posts
Hi Joe

I have limited experience with inkjet dclas - limited to one set of vinyl decals for a jet.

However, here are a couple of details worth knowing beforehand:

Your inkjet can't print white, so if you need white in the design buy white vinyl or decal paper.

When you cut out your decal from its sheet, it will have a white edge due to thickness of the white backing material. So depending on the colour of the paint background you'll be sticking it to, and the thickness of the backing material - vinyl is thick - you might want to touch up the edge of the decal with an appropriate colour fibre-tip pen or paint so the white edge doesn't stand out too much.

Also, in time, the vinyl shrinks a little.

For the weatherproofing clear overspray, I used the clear lacquer sold in spray cans for use when touching up metallic finishes on cars.

Because of the high cost of the decal material (at least here in UK), try to print as many of your designs on one sheet as possible.

Hope this helps

Gordon
Gordon is offline Find More Posts by Gordon
Old Aug 13, 2002, 09:40 AM
EDF Jet Jam 2015, May 28-31st
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,735 Posts
water slide decals

When I built my F-16 we scanned all of the marking and ran it through a cad program to scale eveything correctly.
Using an ALPS printer you can make these decals.
We then took clear Krylon and sprayed over them it works as a carrier. The water slaide material comes clear or with a white substrate. The clear material is thinner if you have the ALPS printer you can print the white to make them opaque.
They must be handled very carefully during application as they very fragile.
I will get the exact specifics on all programs and equipment if your are interested.
Bob
Robert Belluomini is offline Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
Old Aug 13, 2002, 11:21 AM
Los Altos, CA
Joined Sep 2001
607 Posts
Joe: I did the decals on my new bug on the Inkjet. I used a pack of Hammermill Outdoor Labels that I was able to purchase at my local Office Depot. Essentially, it is print-on, white vinyl, and is waterproof. After printing the designs, I cut them out with a pair of scissors, and a sharp hobby knife.

I went for the VFA-34 Blue Blasters layout. I worked up all the artwork in Photoshop. To do the stars-and-bars, I scanned in a Sig decal and then photoshop'd it. I was able to find a Blue Blasters insignia on the internet that I touched up too.

If you end up using a different solution...like the water transfer type you have been talking about, please post your results. I am very interested in alternative methods to the one I tried.

Here is a photo of it. My photo taking skills are terrible. The plane looks a bit washed out because I shot it in direct sunlight on a 100 degree day. The graphics are much brighter than they appear.

Thanks,

- Ted
TedLarson is offline Find More Posts by TedLarson
Old Aug 13, 2002, 01:47 PM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 1996
7,937 Posts
Joe, the stuff you were asking about is called Vitacal. I think the company has a website, I haven't checked. There are other materials that will work. Window Decal paper may work also, I have some I got at Best Buy from a company called Burlington. I think the HP brand may have the same thing. These are adhesive backed I beleive, probably thicker than the water slide decals would be. I haven't tried any of the materials yet, I need a jet to put them on !
Ed Waldrep is offline Find More Posts by Ed Waldrep
Old Aug 13, 2002, 05:20 PM
Acme Powered!
Orange,CA
Joined Jul 2000
4,040 Posts
Decals

Dan, thank you for the info. And no problem about the post.

Gordon thank you for the information, I appreciate all the help I can get. I did not think about the white in the decals. So I need white medium to do what I need.

Bob, I would appreciate any information on the programs and equipment that you used. You can email me if you wish. Bob I do have Autocad 2000 but I still am learning to use it. So I would probably use one of my photo programs or the program that comes with the scanner I will buy. I plan to get an HP flatbed with the highest resolution I can get.
jjelston@socal.rr.com

Ted, your decals look great! And thanks. Do I need to use Photo Shop exclusively? I don't have it and I am not sure how much it costs. I have a couple of photo programs but I don't think they are as good.

Thanks Ed, I will look for that stuff you mentioned. That seems to be what I have read about, sounds familar.

Thanks to all you guys. I appreciate your help.
Joe
Old Aug 13, 2002, 06:05 PM
Los Alamos, NM, USofA
Joined Nov 2000
3,123 Posts
Re: Decals

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Elston
Do I need to use Photo Shop exclusively? I don't have it and I am not sure how much it costs. I have a couple of photo programs but I don't think they are as good.
Probably not. PhotoShop is the defacto standard in the industry, but is really an image editing software. It can be had at your local discount house NIB for about $600.00. You'll also want to consider some type of artwork design program like Adobe's Illustrator. It's a bit cheaper; $400.00. Usually they bundle these two titles together in a Design Collections for about $1,000.

The big advantage to Illustrator is that it creates vector graphics which can be scaled to any size with no loss in quality.

Daren
Daren is offline Find More Posts by Daren
Old Aug 13, 2002, 06:22 PM
Acme Powered!
Orange,CA
Joined Jul 2000
4,040 Posts
Adobe

Well I hope that I can make the decals with my software I already have. Photo suite III other wise I will just have to find someone to make them for me. A grand in software is allot of jets and accesories
Joe
Old Aug 16, 2002, 07:38 PM
new zealand - wellie
Joined Jun 2002
43 Posts
You can download a free program called "The Gimp" from http://www.gimp.org

this is practically a clone of photoshop, but its free.

Also, this is the link you're looking for to buy the waterslide decal inkjet paper, and krylon overspray:

http://www.beldecal.com

And heres an article from out pastic modelling cousins, about diy decals:

http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/a...stomDecals.htm

Dont ask me about this....I havent tried any of it yet. I plan to use some of these techniques on my K&A micro A10, whic is nearly at the covering/painting stage now......and it'll have my first attempt at an airbrush finish....
chucky is offline Find More Posts by chucky