HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 29, 2006, 01:39 AM
RCXPLANES CAD MAN
Pacific Northwest
Joined Feb 2004
824 Posts
Build Log
Eurofighter Typhoon for the Little Screamers Park Jet

I saw some of the incredible work being done by the participants of the pusher park jet segment of RCGroups and just couldn't help but want to give this scale pusher jet thing a try.
After looking at a number of scale candidates, I chose the Eurofighter Typhoon EF2000 for the Delta wing design and the sleek sexy lines of the fuselage. Here is a log of how I built mine. These first pictures are what I had to work from.
errolw98 is offline Find More Posts by errolw98
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 29, 2006, 01:55 AM
RCXPLANES CAD MAN
Pacific Northwest
Joined Feb 2004
824 Posts
Wing fin and top ribs

Left, Right, Top and Bottom are always from the seated pilots perspective.
First I installed a 0.125" Carbon tube in the groove of the wing bottom spanwise.
Then double bevel the Elevons, Rudder, Wing and Fin.
Install the fin in the wing and hold at 90 degrees while tacking in place. It tabs into slots in the wing so it is centered.
The top bulkhead ribs are tabbed into the wing as well and marked for position. The rear three rib positions also tab into the fin as well as the wing. Hold these at 90 degrees to the wing as you tack them in place. The identifying waste can be removed from the rib centers now.
the bulkhead ribs are notched for carbon strip stringers. These are installed next along the wing and rib joint and along the top of the ribs as well.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 02:09 AM
RCXPLANES CAD MAN
Pacific Northwest
Joined Feb 2004
824 Posts
Top Fuselage Skins

Install the skin closest to the wing lengthwise. This covers all of the straight lines up to the radius areas of the ribs from front to rear.
Install the top fuse flat section that covers the straight top of the ribs prior to the rib radius areas. This piece wraps around the fin at the top of the fuselage.
Lay out the radius coverings as shown in picture three. The additional parts shown are for the lower intake covering. Start on one side at the front. These will have to be bent to shape. I did it at a hot summer room temperature but heat can be used as well but beware not to use too much on 2mm Depron. Form these from the top cover around the radius to the side cover. Cover only half the thickness of each successive bulkhead. Continue this process for C1-C2, C2-C3, C3-C4 etc until one side is complete. repeate for the other side.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 02:22 AM
RCXPLANES CAD MAN
Pacific Northwest
Joined Feb 2004
824 Posts
Lower Intake and Motor Mount

Install the lower fuse bulkheads in the bottom of the wing using the same slots as the upper bulkheads were inserted in the top of the wing adding the tabbed center splitters at the front.
Install the intake sides.
Install the motor mounting at the rear. Although the plane was designed for a single LSPJ motor, it is possible to install two sticks at the far corners if you plan on a twin LSPJ power system.
Install the lower intake cover from the rear to the front floding it to a radius shap at the front.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 02:40 AM
RCXPLANES CAD MAN
Pacific Northwest
Joined Feb 2004
824 Posts
Forward fuselage

This being my first scale type fuselage build and the forward fuselage departing from the wing made this the most difficult part of the build for me to wrap my brain around As you can see, I decided to remove some of the work that I had already done to accomodate a full length canopy hatch and attachment of the forward fuselage.
I first had to remove the first C1-C2 radius skin and 0.5" of the top of C1 straight across. I then had to make a shorter C1-A to attach to the front of C1 once the carbon strips were cut back.
Then some new parts were made to help locate the forward fuselage and give the bottom of this section that EF2000 swoop below the top of the intake look. Strips were used to connect and skin this area starting with one along each side of the opening frame and one at the very bottom. strips were added as needed to fill and shape the forward fuselage
Old Aug 29, 2006, 02:58 AM
RCXPLANES CAD MAN
Pacific Northwest
Joined Feb 2004
824 Posts
Laminating the Nose cone, Canopy/Hatch and Spine

All of these pieces were made from 6mm Depron sections laminated together. All were cut in side profile. The nose cone required 10 layers. The Canopy/Hatch required 14 layers and the spine required 6 layers. I used 3M Super 77 adhesive for the laminate but will consider other adhesive choices in the future.
Each piece was coated, aligned, stuck together and left under weighted pressure overnight before shaping.
Picture 2 is the nose side profile and you can see the continued downward swoop of the forward fuselage lower line on the bottom.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 03:11 AM
RCXPLANES CAD MAN
Pacific Northwest
Joined Feb 2004
824 Posts
Rough shaping and fitting the nose and Canopy/Hatch

The nose cone and canopy were roughed in using the top view profile and fitment dimentions. The top of the front fore fuselage circle was removed to allow the canopy/hatch to contact the nosecone.
0.050" carbon rod pins were added to the front of the Canopy/Hatch and corasponding 0.125 carbon tube was added to the attached roughed in nosecone to locate these together before shaping took place. The canopy hatch was then roughed in to the taper of the fore fuselage opening.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 03:16 AM
Newcastle
Joined Oct 2003
581 Posts
Great job! Did you design this yourself?
J.E. Johnson is offline Find More Posts by J.E. Johnson
Old Aug 29, 2006, 03:16 AM
RCXPLANES CAD MAN
Pacific Northwest
Joined Feb 2004
824 Posts
Shaping the nosecone

The nosecone was carefully cut closer to shape using a sharp small, extendable box knife. Then rough sanded with 100 grit sandpaper starting with the bottom and then finishing with the top.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 03:28 AM
RCXPLANES CAD MAN
Pacific Northwest
Joined Feb 2004
824 Posts
Canopy/Hatch Shaping

This is where I wanted a different adhesive than the 3M Super 77. On the nosecone it wasn't too bad but here it gummed up the 100 grit paper badly and left an overall dirty look. When hollowing the canopy out to remove unwanted weight, I also found a few sections that didn't laminate well.
I traced the canopy top outline on and located the beltline between the fuselage and canopy.
I first cut the beltline in to the canopy top outline from the side. Then cut the top canopy outline down to the beltline and began shaping with 100 grit sand paper to round it out. Once the basic shap of the canopy was roughed in the fuse to beltline shape was then sanded with the canopy/hatch in place on the plane to match the nosecone and forward fuselage shapes.
Now it is starting to look like an EF2000!!
Once the basic Canopy/hatch shape was completed, I took a drum sander on my Dremel and removed .25 oz. of unnecessary foam from the bottom of the part.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 03:47 AM
RCXPLANES CAD MAN
Pacific Northwest
Joined Feb 2004
824 Posts
Hatch Magnet and Spine Detail.

I have found the rare earth magnets to be very strong and suitable for retaining hatch lids like this canopy. I get them in pairs from Radio Shack.
Install one magnet in the center of the rear edge of the hatch. Allow the second magnet to attach itself and center it. Insert the front hatch pins in place and position the hatch as desired. Press firmly down enough to dent the foam at the second magnets location. Install the second magnet there being careful to install it with the correct pole facing the hatch magnet.
The laminated spine is then rough cut to lengthand tapered per it's top view. Trace the canopy rear lines to the spine and rough sand its shape. line the spine up and attach to the top of the fuselage.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 03:52 AM
RCXPLANES CAD MAN
Pacific Northwest
Joined Feb 2004
824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.E. Johnson
Great job! Did you design this yourself?
Thanks. Sorry not to reply but I was posting more pics. I'm really tired now though so I will post more tomorrow.

Yes this is my model design. It is my first attempt at a scale anything. I just hope I can keep my paitence as it nears completion so I don't rush the finishing. I still haven't decided on a scheme yet. There is still a lot of work left to be done yet but it is coming along.

Cheers,

Bud
Old Aug 29, 2006, 05:41 AM
GPT
Sydney,Australia
Joined Dec 2004
1,592 Posts
Very nice design Bud,should look very
GPT is offline Find More Posts by GPT
Old Aug 29, 2006, 06:24 AM
Italy, Lazio, Rome