HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 07, 2013, 05:08 AM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,241 Posts
Time for an update.
I've figured out how to mount the Torque motor.
SC Models the Australian distributor of Motrolfy has a new stator wound to 230kv coming my way for $65. It's coming from the factory so will be another 2-3 weeks away. They also have a laser cutting service and quoted $15 incl postage for the motorbox parts, too cheap to turn down so they should be here this week.

I should also be picking up a EF 78" extra in the next or so and the rebuilt Motrolfy will go in that.
luke352 is online now Find More Posts by luke352
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:01 PM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,460 Posts
Luke

You have been quiet for a while, any up date?

Dennis
Dennis C is offline Find More Posts by Dennis C
Old Mar 12, 2013, 05:16 AM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,241 Posts
Hi Dennis,

Sorry never saw your last post. Been very busy over the last month or two, between work and house renos time has been very limited. I've only made it out to the field once in about 6 weeks which was last Wednesday and only for a 2 hours so I didn't bother packing up the Pitts. The weather here has also been terrible lots of rain and flooding, the field went completely under twice I believe.

But I will be remaidening tomorrow. New setup is the EF Torque motor on 10s with a 120A ZTW ESC spinning an APC 20x11E.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 05:52 AM
Joined Dec 2006
377 Posts
Luke
Are you sick of the rain. I have not been able to fly for 3 week now .
Sunny Queensland LOL

Greg
Tin Can Bay QLD
grover is online now Find More Posts by grover
Old Mar 13, 2013, 07:37 PM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,460 Posts
Good luck on the re maiden, I will be interested in seeing how the new motor holds up.

I just got a Hacker A60-5s And I think it could be a real winner in the bype.

6900 RPM on a 20x11 APCe 8s 4000 in a 71'' AJ Slick

Dennis
Dennis C is offline Find More Posts by Dennis C
Old Mar 16, 2013, 10:46 PM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grover View Post
Luke
Are you sick of the rain. I have not been able to fly for 3 week now .
Sunny Queensland LOL

Greg
Tin Can Bay QLD
It's getting a bit tiresome. But we've had a few days without so it's looking good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
Good luck on the re maiden, I will be interested in seeing how the new motor holds up.

I just got a Hacker A60-5s And I think it could be a real winner in the bype.

6900 RPM on a 20x11 APCe 8s 4000 in a 71'' AJ Slick

Dennis
The Torque Silver Bullet motor went great on the re-maiden. No issue at all with motor heat, it's warm on landing but not hot at all. I have put a blanking/baffle plate in the cowl to help direct the airflow through and around the motor. But I need to open some holes to direct air over the ESC as the ZTW ESC is getting pretty warm, but I expected that as it has no direct airflow currently. I intend on putting a digital vinyl print of a radial engine on my blanking plate, should look good.

Only issue I had was I must have damaged the landing gear after the first engine out as it delaminated on the corners after my second flight on re-maiden. So i'll either fit the alloy gear you provided me Dennis or source another carbon set.

I took my latest model to the field today for maiden, a EF 78" Extra running the repaired Motrolfly from the Pitts, but with a lower 230kv wind. It's using 10s 4500mah with an APC 20x10E. I did some 6min flights and only put 2300-2500mah back into the packs, so should be good for 8min+ flights. Power is great and the motor comes down barely over ambient, so it's a great setup.

Very different aircraft to fly, the Pitts is all character and you have to flyit, which is great fun and a challenge. Not that it's hard to fly, but it has all those usual bipe idiosyncrasies. Plus it looks and sounds awesome! The 78" EF Extra is incredibly easy to fly, it stays exactly where you put it, knife edge is almost completely coupling free only a breath of opposite aileron required and it locks in super solid.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 03:53 PM
more power=almost enough
USA, ID, Boise
Joined Sep 2003
497 Posts
I went flying over my weekend. I took my Pitts and my trex 600 out. Our club has put up this new weather station where you can go online to see current winds, temperature, all the national weather stuff. I always guess as to how strong the wind was blowing, now it's nice to know an accurate number. I started flying with wind speeds a constant 13mph with gusts to 21. 13mph really isn't that bad. But by the time my second flight was ready the wind had picked up considerably. The weather station now said it was a constant 19mph with gusts to 26. It's amazing how much stronger 6mph wind speed is. I had no problems and I now know I have flown in even stronger winds. I didn't fly the 600, to much wind to feel comfortable as the winds continued to increase
I have relocated my esc and flight battery pack on the Python. Before I had them both mounted to the motor box. They are now both mounted back by the lower wing tube. I was hoping to get a good feel as to how this changed things but with the wind pushing things about as it was I was unable to get a good feel as to if there was any change. I did have to adjust the elevator trim a few clicks nose down as you would expect. I'll wait for a nice calm day to run it through the ringer though and get a better flight report.
Kerry
JetTech is offline Find More Posts by JetTech
Old Feb 19, 2014, 01:39 AM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,241 Posts
I did re-maiden the Pitts with great results, motor and performance was fine! But my CF gear ended up giving way on the third flight. So it hung on the shed wall for the last 8 months, I did look into some various U/C options but nothing really suited. I didn't want to use the ally gear since mine came out a bit heavier and I prefer a stiffer U/C I find my landing technique suits stiffer U/C better. But i've had a couple weeks time off from work so decided to get the Pitts up and running again. I've managed to fix the gear up by just feeding lots of CA into the de-laminations and I also added some cable and spring for extra support between the legs. Took it flying on the weekend and it is fun, gets great comments as well. The new power setup works fine, I've got some more props coming to try out, my power setup comes down just warm so I think I'll try propping up some more, I've got some larger dia and and also more pitch variants to try out. I'll also keep an eye on my U/C and if it seems to be holding up ok I might remove the cable brace.

The rudder on this is stupid powerful, does some crazy gyroscopic moves. Going from vertical and feeding in a bunch of rudder and down elevator makes it enter some kind of inverted flat spin.