HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:22 PM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke352 View Post
I don't believe Krylon is available in available in Australia, but i'm sure i'll figure something out. I had considered using heat shrink on the cabane struts if I could find a reasonable match.

My next question would be you mentioned not requiring any support struts for the stab, I'm a little concerned as the balsa that came from the laser cutter was a bit on the soft side for the stab.
So i'm considering making up a support strut for each side of the support strut using some carbon rod.
I used the unidirectional carbon fiber elevator rudder between the triangle stock and the laser cut piece, both leading and trailing edge. I have had on issues with snaps to hover,tumbles pop tops

and a little extra insurance never hurts. If it makes you comfortable I would add the braces. If you did not use the Carbon fiber then reinforcement is a must.

Dennnis
Dennis C is offline Find More Posts by Dennis C
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2012, 06:32 PM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,265 Posts
I've got the Unidirectional CF on the TE and in the LE but think I might still add the rod for insurance. It will make me feel better,
luke352 is offline Find More Posts by luke352
Old Sep 14, 2012, 04:08 AM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,265 Posts
Well I got some good news this afternoon! That job interview I mentioned several weeks back ( 5 weeks in fact), well today I received an offer. Very attractive salary and lots of other add ons, so although I will be sad to leave my current job they have been very good to me and pay a pretty decent wage and the people are great, this new job will open up more opportunities as well as an even better salary.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 01:59 PM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,469 Posts
Moveing up is always good

Congratulations

Dennis
Old Sep 16, 2012, 11:20 PM
more power=almost enough
USA, ID, Boise
Joined Sep 2003
497 Posts
Congrats Luke and good luck with the new job.
When do you start?
JetTech is online now Find More Posts by JetTech
Old Sep 18, 2012, 08:57 PM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,265 Posts
Thanks guys!
Start date is 29th Oct so I was able to give my current work 6 weeks notice so they can hopefully get someone hired and started, as it takes 3 months till you can get new starters onto roster. This is Operations centre i'll be working in, quite a bit different to the one I currently work in. http://www.advancewesterndowns.com.a...stralian-first

On the M12 front I've fitted the servo's to all 4 wings along with the control horn and linkage on the upper wings.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 06:33 PM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,469 Posts
Really looking forward to a flight report.

I have been getting a few flights on mine and still reallllllly like it. Does all the thinngs biplanes are supposed to do. take off and landing are as easy as any thing you will ever fly and I always get verbal support on a good landing, Last one '' that just started to brush the top of the grass untill is was on the groung, no bounce bump and dead center in frount of the pitts.

Dennis
Old Sep 21, 2012, 06:05 AM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,265 Posts
Yeah it's getting close! Dennis I know you've discussed in this thread previously in answer to my questions that you aren't using any right thrust on the motor box and instead use a throttle to rudder mix. But my motor box parts I have sitting here will give me about 2.5-3 deg of right thrust but no down thrust. Is this correct that I won't require any down thrust? And should I mount the motor centre and remove the right thrust with some washers and use a throttle/rudder mix? As it is it looks like the hole in motor box front plate is mounted off centre and i'm meant to centre the rear of the motor over this hole so that the shaft will be at centre once it passes the cowl front is this correct?
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:32 PM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,469 Posts
I do use right thrust in my motor box, the same as the one you have.

Depending on prop and power you will need to mix some throttle to rudder mix. for pure straight up lines.

Off set the motor so that the prop is centered on the front of the cowl, with the built in right thrust be sure that you haave prop clearance on jboth sides.

There is no down thrust.

Dennis
Old Sep 21, 2012, 03:55 PM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,265 Posts
Ok that all makes sense now. Have you glued the motor box in place, or just bolted it in place on the mount tabs?
Old Sep 22, 2012, 04:35 PM
more power=almost enough
USA, ID, Boise
Joined Sep 2003
497 Posts
Mine is bolted, I am pretty sure that is what Dennis did also.
Kerry
JetTech is online now Find More Posts by JetTech
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:13 AM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,265 Posts
Cool that's what I thought and how it appeared to have been designed.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 09:48 AM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,469 Posts
Should you ever need it makes it replacable

Dennis
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:24 PM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,265 Posts
Well not many posts but work hasn't stopped. I've just been cleaning up all the little jobs and currently the cowl is drying from being glassed, i'll let it dry and then tomorrow i'll probably give it another coat of resin but this time with some Q cell mixed in, that should hopefully fill the cloth weave and fill any other imperfections. I've also got the motor box fitted and some SWB standoffs as required to mount the motor. I think i'm going to fit the Torque F3A silver bullet motor first as I know it is very capable of spinning a 20"-21" prop whereas the KV on Motrolfly might still be tad high to spin a 20" prop without pulling too many amps.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 12:17 AM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,265 Posts
Well I figured it was time for some pics. Hmm, I really need to do my edges!