HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 01, 2012, 10:26 PM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,291 Posts
Well I finished covering the Ailerons and have mated them to the wings. Tail surfaces next!
luke352 is offline Find More Posts by luke352
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2012, 01:00 AM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,291 Posts
Well it's been a quiet week or so on the build side but busy on the home front. Had my sons 3rd birthday and the party that goes along with it, I also had an interview for a new job that I put a lot of effort into prepping for as it's a big jump paywise it also had me away from home for a night. So hopefully I get this job as it's a good opportunity and the roster would leave me with plenty of time off to spend with my family and building planes of course.

But with all that in mind I did get a few hours free to work on the model. What is not shown in the photos is that I also did some work cutting out the cockpit area and trimming the canopy down. I also haven't down the chequer pattern on the elevator and rudder tips along with the wing tips still needing to be chequered.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 09:32 AM
more power=almost enough
USA, ID, Boise
Joined Sep 2003
509 Posts
Hey there Luke, as always still looking great.
It has been so blistering hot here the last month I haven't even wanted to get out and fly in the heat. The reporters tell us that this last July was the hottest July on record for 140 years.
What kind of work do you do?
Kerry
JetTech is offline Find More Posts by JetTech
Old Aug 11, 2012, 10:03 AM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,469 Posts
Good luck with the job!!
looking good, Have you decided how to deal with the cowl?

Dennis
Dennis C is offline Find More Posts by Dennis C
Old Aug 11, 2012, 09:47 PM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetTech View Post
Hey there Luke, as always still looking great.
It has been so blistering hot here the last month I haven't even wanted to get out and fly in the heat. The reporters tell us that this last July was the hottest July on record for 140 years.
What kind of work do you do?
Kerry
I can understand not wanting to go out in the heat! I'm not looking forward to when summer comes around here again, I'm not big on hot weather much (especially when I was still working in a hanger) I prefer our Winter here it gets cold over night 0-5deg c but the days normally get up to low 20's.

I work as a Gas pipeline controller these days, our control room manages three Transmission Pipelines longest is about 800km and the shortest just over 100km. Have a total of 8 centrifugal compressor to operate. But this new job would involve not just managing a pipeline but also all the upstream operations, so they have real time monitoring of all there CSG well heads (about 600 at this stage) along with power generation, water treatment, different forms of compression etc.. So it's a very broad role which should have a alot more opportunities associated with it. But the roster is pretty good 5 on 5 off basically with field work components and large rostered 4 week leave breaks etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
Good luck with the job!!
looking good, Have you decided how to deal with the cowl?

Dennis
Thanks.

Yeah, I've got some 1/2 oz and 2/3 oz cloth here, so i'll just use one of those and use some normal fibreglass resin as I've got plenty here and i'm pretty comfortable working with it. Did you glass the whole cowl or just the nose radius?
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:18 AM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,469 Posts
I glassed the whole cowel, add's a little strength to the balsa sheeting though I am not sure it is needed.

Dennis
Old Aug 12, 2012, 02:40 PM
more power=almost enough
USA, ID, Boise
Joined Sep 2003
509 Posts
I glassed the nose and the bottom cowl as one unit and then glassed the top, removable cowl separately.
Kerry
JetTech is offline Find More Posts by JetTech
Old Aug 13, 2012, 05:06 PM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,291 Posts
Well didn't get much done the last night or so. Just been working on the wing retention, Also started working on the rudder pull pull system bit had to order some extra bits to finish that off as i wanted to have that all set to go before covering. But those parts should hopefully show up today.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 05:57 PM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,291 Posts
Start of the Rudder pull pull setup. I've ended up deciding to go with crossed over wires so I've ordered a offset arm to replace the straight arm shown in the picture. I also added some triangle stock to the bottom of the tray to help stiffen it.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 01:04 PM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,469 Posts
You will end up with less slack I crossed the wires but used a straight arm on the servo.

You will still have some slack when the rudder is deflected but should be no problem.

Dennis
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:28 PM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
You will end up with less slack I crossed the wires but used a straight arm on the servo.

You will still have some slack when the rudder is deflected but should be no problem.

Dennis
Yeah I had originally planned on going parallel cables but the exit point was at a point on the fuselage I wasn't happy with considering the length of slot required. So using a thin carbon rod I was able to simulate the exit point etc with crossed wires and it all sits in much better locations. So that explains why I originally had a straight arm. So hopefully the offset arm will be in the letterbox when I get home today and I can look at setting up the cables tonight. Once i'm happy with that i'm going to start covering the fuselage.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:31 PM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,469 Posts
Looking forward to see it comminng togeather.

FYI Most pull pull systems use crossed wires

Dennis
Old Sep 02, 2012, 05:26 AM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,291 Posts
Bit quiet on the updates, life has been getting in the way a bit. But I have setup the tailwheel and also did some work to get the cockpit looking a bit realistic, but if my pilot had arms they would be very long.
Old Sep 02, 2012, 12:48 PM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,469 Posts
Your pilot figure is too small, in the full scale the only thing visible in the canopy is the helmet. This is a 1/4 scale model and that looks like a 1/5 or 1/6 scale pilot bust. The pilot chin should be nearly touching the cockpit floor and the top of the head would be 1/4" from the top of the canopy. also sits a little more laid back.

Great job on the dash, very scale.

Watch the full scale video

Pitts Python Take off (3 min 20 sec)

Dennis
Old Sep 02, 2012, 12:51 PM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,469 Posts
And here is a photo from Kimbal enterprises

http://www.jimkimballenterprises.com...cheda.php?id=8