SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 11, 2012, 03:31 PM
more power=almost enough
USA, ID, Boise
Joined Sep 2003
497 Posts
Ok first off, if we are going to mention Andrew in this thread we better get his name correct. It is Andrew Jesky, not "Jetskey". If by chance he visits this thread I would hate to have him see that we don't even know his name.

Ok, now then... Was it ever cool to meet Andrew. Here we are in lil ole Boise and Andrew shows up to the pattern contest held at our flying field, BARKS. He came here last year also, It is one of the national qualifiers for the pattern stuff... Sorry I don't know much about the pattern stuff so I am probably using the wrong terms but I think it is F3A. Anyway he had his Krill Spark Evo, what a beautiful plane. It was even more beautiful in the air. His maneuvers were so graceful, precise, and fluid, absolutely amazing watching him fly. And what a personable guy to visit and talk with. You would think that he has all the time in the world when talking to you. I have much respect for him, as he flies on a world level, yet takes time to visit with the rest of us wanna-bees

I really wanted to see what the python could do with someone who really knew how to fly, and also help fine tune my setup. It took me a bit to build up the courage to ask him if he would mind taking it up for a spin, finally is decided to ask, the worst he could say was no thanks, but he didn't. He was more than willing to help me out.
He did a pretty thorough check out of the linkages, control surface gaps and throughs. Wanted to know what motor and battery system I had. I guess he was satisfied. So time to fly, he took off, climb out, banked right, went downwind, which by the way was like 20-25mph, turned again then came upwind down the runway. Brought it into a slow harrier then started doing rolling harriers, slow rolling, fast rolling, blasted up into the sky, did some ever so smooth rolls, inverted flight, loops and turns. I didn't know this plane could be so graceful in the air... Cool. Then he said, " mind if I 3D it?". I told him " not at all.". In my mind I'm saying, damn I hope I built this thing strong, I would hate for it to come apart on him. I really was worried! Anyway, boy did he ever put it through the wringer. Flips, twists, rolls, snap rolls, more rolling harriers, knife edges left and right. Then he took it above the 10 or 15 feet he was flying way up and did inverted flat spins, elevators, I just can't remember it all. Brought it down and hovered it like 6 inches off the deck, started doing torque rolls, all the while I'm praying that my plane will stay together for him, and it did. After 8 min flight the batteries were tired, as he mentioned, so he landed it perfectly in front of us.
I so wish I had video, but do not, but I do have a lot of photos that a member took. As soon as I get them from him I'll post them on here.

After the flight he went into my radio and made some needed changes. From the way it was rolling he could tell that my right aileron had to much deflection, fixed that and also fixed a coupling issue I had over done for knife edge and a few other minor things. He said it was a very nice flying plane and thanked me for letting him fly it! Thanked me? I am thanking him. I know I had a smile from ear to ear watching what this plane could do in the hands of a pro.

So, Andrew if you happen to read this thread, thanks again for all your help and for being such a stand up guy. It was a pleasure meeting you and your friends.

Kerry
JetTech is offline Find More Posts by JetTech
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 11, 2012, 03:57 PM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,273 Posts
Sounds awesome! Looking forward to some pics.
luke352 is online now Find More Posts by luke352
Last edited by luke352; Jun 11, 2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 09:08 AM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,469 Posts
So Luke

Have you mounted the top wing yet?

Dennis
Dennis C is offline Find More Posts by Dennis C
Old Jun 17, 2012, 06:09 AM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,273 Posts
No sorry, I've barely touched the plane all week other then cutting all the hinge slots for the wings and ailerons and finishing some sanding/shaping on the ailerons.

I'm actually going to hold off mounting up the centre section and fitting the undercarriage, since I don't have anywhere to really store it in a more built up status, as it is it's easy to fit in a cupboard out of reach of my almost 3yr old. Once it's covered etc. it's a bit more resilient to little hands and can also be stored in the garage which isn't as moisture proof as the house so really isn't suitable for bare balsa planes but seems ok once they're all covered.

I'm hoping to knock over a reasonable bit of work on it this week. I ordered all my covering late last week so it should show up either late this week or early next week, so i'm hoping to have parts ready to go when it shows up.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 06:08 AM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,273 Posts
Well tonight I've rounded of the LE of the stab and fin and the tips of the elevators and rudder. Dennis I'm assuming you left the TE of the elevator and fin squared off to help with control authority.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 07:02 PM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,469 Posts
Not sure exactly what you are refering too

The elevator has triangle stock on the stab and elvator, leave the trailing edge just rounded

The rudder has triangle stock on the front of the rudder the fin is square on the back. it has the carbon fiber glued to it.

Denniis
Old Jun 25, 2012, 07:17 AM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,273 Posts
Sorry about the lact of updates. Been busy with life in general lately, and I tend to slow down towards the end of a build as I like to think things through and spend my time on the little things.

In any case lower wings are ready to cover as are all the ailerons. Just have to check over the upper wings again before giving them the ok for covering. Same goes for the stab, fin, rudder & elevators good to go but i'll check them over again. I'm currently working away on the fuselage to get it good to go, so in the last two days in my spare time I installed the lower sheeting around the wing saddle area and then installed the doubler sheet.

I've got a couple left over bits though Dennis that I can't figure out where to put. They are labelled FS1 & FS2 there are two of each and I don't seem to be able to find any mention of them in the instructions. Any ideas?
Old Jun 25, 2012, 03:47 PM
Joined Jun 2012
4 Posts
plans

Hello can only purchase plans? Sorry for English I used google translate
Pencaro@alice.it
aereo74 is offline Find More Posts by aereo74
Old Jun 26, 2012, 12:30 AM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,273 Posts
Hi Dennis,

As i'm getting closer to finishing i'm coming up with a bunch of questions.

1. What is the CG position?

2. What are the control throws low, high, expo etc.?

3. You mentioned that you were using a throttle rudder mix rather than having right thrust built into the motor box, obviously my motor prop combo will be different but do you have a starting point I could dial up for the first few flights?

4. What size wheels are you using?

5. Are you using any other mixes?

I'm almost finished on the fuselage, but will need to apply my glass cloth on the cowl and underside of the upper wing it's just been wet and rainy here so waiting for some drier weather before I start that.

Thanks
Old Jun 26, 2012, 01:42 AM
Joined Jun 2012
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aereo74 View Post
Hello can only purchase plans? Sorry for English I used google translate
Pencaro@alice.it
sorry, email ok pencaro@alice.it
aereo74 is offline Find More Posts by aereo74
Old Jun 26, 2012, 07:06 AM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,273 Posts
Well tonights effort involved fitting some sheeting the the fuselage fwd centre sides if that makes sense.

In any case I only have a few small bits and pieces here and there to finish and then I can go to town with my sanding bar to get the fwd fuselage ready to go.

I also need to make and fit the motor box but that should only be a 20min job and can be down at any time.

So once everything is in a ready or almost ready to cover state i'll be getting everything into a final assembly state after doing a test assembly. So hopefully i'll have a pic of of it on it's "legs" soon
Last edited by luke352; Jun 26, 2012 at 07:11 AM.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 11:33 AM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,469 Posts
Luke

The FS1 and FS2 were for stringers behind F5

CG should be 3/4" behind the leading edge of the lower wing leading edge. That will be a little nose heavy for the maiden. Trim in the air for nearly neutral inverted flight.

I use right thrust and throtle- rudder mix to get straight up lines

Rudder- aileron for knife edge

Rudder elevator for knife edge, It pulls to the gear with no mix

Low rates (all on one switch)
30* expo
15* aileron
15* elevator
30* rudder

High rates
70* expo

35 +* aileron
50* elevator
45* rudder

Stupid fast roll rate

Snap to hover

Inverted deep snap at full throtle release rudder and aileron to violent tumble.

adjust throws to your style

3.5" Wheels, I fly off grass.

Dennis
Last edited by Dennis C; Jun 26, 2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 11:52 AM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aereo74 View Post
sorry, email ok pencaro@alice.it
I only do the Kits, but can ship out of the country.

Dennis
Old Jun 26, 2012, 04:12 PM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,273 Posts
Thanks Dennis, that all sounds simple enough.
Old Jul 06, 2012, 01:00 AM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,273 Posts
Well, It stands!!