HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 15, 2012, 06:45 AM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFT2 View Post
How thick is the carbon spar cap? It looks like the stuff I'm using in my Ultimate, but I haven't gotten to the wing yet. If it's the stiff ribbon stuff, how did you laminate it?
The Carbon is only 0.3mm/0.011", and i've attached it to the top of the balsa spar cap using Medium CA and then the balsa sheeting goes on top of that.

Other then that I just got the second upper wing panel up to the same stage as the first.

Next step is to build up the Ailerons and then install a main LE strip, along with wing tips, alignment dowels etc. Essentially get them up to a stage where they are ready to cover.
luke352 is offline Find More Posts by luke352
to remove ads between posts
Old May 15, 2012, 07:24 AM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,265 Posts
Dennis, just need some help in regards to the aileron rib layout. As I see it the there is two 1/8" ply ribs a bunch of 1/8" balsa ones and two 1/4" balsa ribs per aileron. The instructions don't really mention how this is all meant to work as it talks about a having a ply control horm which I believe you mentioned is not used anymore.

As I see it my best option is two 1/8" bals ribs on inner end, and a single 1/8" balsa at all other locations except the control horn location which should be 1/8" ply-1/4" balsa-1/4" balsa-1/8" ply. Does that sound correct? I was planning on using this style of control horn http://shop.dubro.com/products/produ...4.0.0.0?pp=12& not necessarily that one but that style. So my only concern is that the washer and hub would not extend out to the ply and would start to crush the balsa pieces over time, I can always trim back the balsa pieces top and bottom and plate them with some scrap liteply.
Old May 15, 2012, 09:30 AM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,469 Posts
You have the rib lay out correct

Dubro makes a control horn that will allow the washers to match the angle of the aileron, Just a different # than the one you have linked. Makes it easier to center the push rod connection over the center of the hinge. Reinforce with ply or Ca.

Dennis
Dennis C is offline Find More Posts by Dennis C
Old May 15, 2012, 02:09 PM
Rekitter of fine aircraft
United States, TX, Spring
Joined May 2004
1,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke352 View Post
The Carbon is only 0.3mm/0.011", and i've attached it to the top of the balsa spar cap using Medium CA and then the balsa sheeting goes on top of that.
Thanks, that's how I've been doing it, so I'll continue that way.
SFT2 is offline Find More Posts by SFT2
RCG Plus Member
Old May 15, 2012, 03:04 PM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
You have the rib lay out correct

Dubro makes a control horn that will allow the washers to match the angle of the aileron, Just a different # than the one you have linked. Makes it easier to center the push rod connection over the center of the hinge. Reinforce with ply or Ca.

Dennis
Great, I was a bit confused because with the AR1 & AR2 labelling on the ply ribs it didn't make any sense as there wasn't enough to sandwich the control horn locations and too many for the ends. So I just ended up playing around till I got something that seemed right but wanted to check before I went gluing anything.

Yeah I'm hoping to be able to pick up some DuBro or similar ones that will work on a tapered surface.
Old May 15, 2012, 03:06 PM
Rekitter of fine aircraft
United States, TX, Spring
Joined May 2004
1,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke352 View Post
Yeah I'm hoping to be able to pick up some DuBro or similar ones that will work on a tapered surface.
These are the ones you want:

http://shop.dubro.com/products/produ...4.0.0.0?pp=12&
SFT2 is offline Find More Posts by SFT2
RCG Plus Member
Old May 15, 2012, 04:20 PM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFT2 View Post
Thanks
Old May 20, 2012, 08:09 AM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,265 Posts
Well here we have some ailerons and an almost complete upper wing set. Just need the wing tips and LE blocks to pretty much have the upper wings ready for covering.
Last edited by luke352; May 20, 2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old May 24, 2012, 04:37 AM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,265 Posts
I got started on the lower wings today. I generally pop out all the parts, sand smooth the keys, and then I seperate them into left and right wing ensuring I have equal amounts of light and heavy balsa on each side. Out of interests sake the upper wing panels at there current stage ended up about six grams (1/5 ounce) different in weight.
Old May 27, 2012, 03:10 PM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,265 Posts
Update: Lower wing panels are almost at the same stage as the upper panels. I just need to make the lower ailerons and start on the Leading edge for all four panels and install the wing tips.

Dennis, I've got some questions please see the attached images.
Old May 27, 2012, 03:14 PM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,265 Posts
As I was saying in that second image the instructions really give no indication around it's orientation and since I started the fuselage first I didn't really have anything to work. But on that for the lower wing cap piece there is no hole for that to slide into the fuselage through, do I just cut one, and should there be another cross piece in the fuselage for it to sit against? Mainly so that I don't snap of the tab if I overtighten it by accident.
Old May 28, 2012, 11:16 AM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,469 Posts
Yes you need to trim the former for the wing fit, trim the sub sheeting there to get a good fit to the airfoil, and then you trim the sheeting , that will give you a good final fit around the wing

The fuslage brace needs to be rotated 90* the tabs on the end will fit in the small side of the hole, the tab in the wing fits in the wider part of the slot and slides in against the brace.

Use the wing tube as a guide and then you will drill through the wing tab and brace Use a 4-40 screw and blind nut to hold the wing on.

Dennis
Old May 29, 2012, 01:34 AM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,265 Posts
Thanks Dennis.

Whilst I think of it, I don't remember seeing much mention of wing and stab incidence in the instructions. Are they all set to 0deg?

Thanks
Old May 29, 2012, 11:03 AM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,469 Posts
Everything is 0-0 There is some right thrust built into the motor box, I use a throttle -rudder mix in the radio to get the final trim for the up lines. (that is the way Chip Hyde sets up his designes) The exact amount will depend on power and prop.

Dennis
Old May 31, 2012, 06:52 AM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,265 Posts
Well I fitted the Wing tubes and alignment dowels to the lower wings tonight and using my new toy the Hanger 9 Angle Pro I checked the lower wing incidence left to right. -0.1 and -0.1 (sometimes bouncing to -0.2) so i'm very happy that they've come out as well aligned as I could hope. Next step will be to fit the upper centre wing section and get the incidence the same as the lower wings to ensure the upper wings line up correctly. Or maybe i'll work on something else, i'll see what I feel like working on next build session.