HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 06, 2012, 10:43 AM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,469 Posts
I designed them to be functional, They distribute the load,hold the wings so the tips are at equal distance apart and paralell

They are held on with 4 4/40 screws and only take a couple of minutes to install.

Dennis
Dennis C is offline Find More Posts by Dennis C
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2012, 04:40 PM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,273 Posts
Ok that gives me something to think about.
luke352 is offline Find More Posts by luke352
Old May 08, 2012, 01:18 AM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,273 Posts
Well my wing tube and sockets finally showed up, and i'm actually quite as I was outright lied to by TNT Landing Gear. Placed my order on the 11th of April and they were away till the 16th so I was expecting some delay. But by the 22nd my order was showing no update so I emailed them, no response. So I waited till the 26th and still no response, so I sent them another email telling them to cancel my order if it hadn't been sent as I was already annoyed by that stage at the lack of updates etc. and decided it would be easier to source locally. But guess what telling them I wanted my order cancelled got a response (surprise surprise), and they then proceeded to tell me my order had actually been sent on the 18th and that there order tracking system was having problems which is why it didn't show as sent. They also said my previous emails they hadn't received (3 in total), they told me some story about overseas emails not coming through sometimes, I use a standard hotmail.com account so not sure if I believe that.

Anyway fast forward to today and my order finally shows up with a sent date of 27th April on all the shipping labels. So in other words they straight out lied to me when they told me they had sent it on the 18th, they actually sent it 16 days after I had placed my order on the 27th April!
Old May 08, 2012, 07:47 AM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,273 Posts
Tonight's effort.
Old May 09, 2012, 07:40 AM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,273 Posts
So last nights update was done in a real rush, but to explain what it is, it's the upper centre wing section that stays attached to the cabane struts and that the main wing panels attach to.

Building it up basically involved building up the outer two ribs which are made of two liteply ribs with a fairly thick balsa rib sandwiched in between them. The instructions didn't mention what to use so I just used some 30min Zap z-poxy, which is my favorite epoxy to use as you get a good combination of strength and decent working time without having to wait hours for it to dry enough to keep working.

So once those outer ribs were made up it was just a case of installing them and the centre rib onto the spar pieces squaring it all up, making sure you check it for square in all directions. Then just putting the CA glue to work and then install the spar caps and sub leading edge piece, making sure to keep checking for squareness. Last step here was to install those little chopped off triangular pieces, basically the wing panels slide into position over the wing tubes and there is a corresponding piece on each wing panel that slides over top of those pieces and the there is bolt that runs through to hold the wing panels form sliding off.

All in all pretty basic stuff.

So tonight I just fitted the balsa sheeting to the forward and aft sections of the panel. One thing I did was make sure the sub leading edge was sanded to follow the rib line so the sheeting fir correctly. Only trick here is to make the sheeting extend past the sub leading edge just slightly and then sand it back so you get a nice flush surface to attach the leading edge piece to.

Final step for tonight was to install the phenolic wing tube socket, now I had run into a bit of a minor hiccup here as strangely the holes in the upper wing ribs were all too big for the socket, but strangely all the holes in the lower ribs are the correct size. But in reality it's not really a big deal, it's just a case of getting some 1" or 1/2" masking tape and wrapping the socket at each rib location to build it up to the correct diameter, there is absolutely nothing wrong with doing this as long as you seal the edges and seams with some epoxy or CA.

So now before I sheet off the the rest of the frame I need to build up the main wing panels and fit them up so I can drill the holes in the little triangle parts I mentioned earlier and install a blind nut. So tomorrow i'm rostered off and i've got the day to myself so i'm hoping to make good inroads on the main wing panels, normally I just do a couple hours in the evening after my son goes to sleep so it's hard to start on something big like that and still get to bed at a reasonable hour.

Anyway onto the pics.
Old May 10, 2012, 07:41 AM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,273 Posts
Well the first wing panel is coming along nicely with a similar build process to the centre panel. Though I did run into a problem where the notches for the ribs in the sub-leading edge and TE were not in the correct locations, they were all approx 1 rib thickness too far out along the wing, so I had to extend the nothches so the ribs were straight and I then just added a a little piece of stock behind to brace the rib a little. That took up a little bit of time going over everything making sure I had it all right before I started cutting and then making sure it was aligned correctly, but in the end it came out dead straight. Probably one of the straightest wings i've built, and incredibly strong in the bending moment with just a very little bit of twist possible but I imagine once you connect the two wings together with the interplane struts that will only help to stiffen everything.

One thing to note is there is actually some CF built into the wing. The spar caps are fitted and then some more CF strip is glued on top of the spar cap and then the wing sheeting over that.
Old May 10, 2012, 08:55 AM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,469 Posts
Now I have to check the files, On all the other builds the notches have been perfect, the only change I had to make was that the inner notch was not deep enough for the built up rib.

I will check the tube hole and notches in our file.

Thanks for the feed back

Dennis
Old May 10, 2012, 09:02 AM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,469 Posts
Let me know if the wing tube fits correctly in the outer wing pannel

Dennis
Old May 10, 2012, 07:57 PM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,273 Posts
Hey Dennis,

Yeah the wing tube holes are too big in the main wing panels as well. But i've checked all the lower wing ribs and fuselage side holes and they're fine. Just seems the upper wing and associated are too big.

The end notches were fine on the inner end, but I actually had to trim the outer ends of the LE & TE from memory, so it's almost as if they scaled up in length slightly.
Old May 10, 2012, 10:09 PM
more power=almost enough
USA, ID, Boise
Joined Sep 2003
497 Posts
Luke, as always looks great. It is odd how things get changed a bit from one laser cutter to another one. Having to make a few corrections here and there is just part of building an airplane I guess. It really is to bad that there aren't more planes being built from kits anymore, everything is an "ARF" it seems now days. Not bashing the arfs everyone there are some great ones out there. I kinda get a good laugh when I see a new thread of "My such snd such build." When all they do is attach some wings and wheels a receiver and then go fly... anyway...

Seeing that you started your wings it reminded me that I forgot to post those photos of the center wing mod for the quick access to the attaching hardware. So here are a couple of photos, not great photos, but photos none the less. You can see what I did. I just added another strip of balsa so my removable panel would not be so big. I used those earth magnets to hold on the panel. Makes easy access to the wing attaching hardware.

Kerry
JetTech is offline Find More Posts by JetTech
Old May 10, 2012, 10:45 PM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetTech View Post
Luke, as always looks great. It is odd how things get changed a bit from one laser cutter to another one. Having to make a few corrections here and there is just part of building an airplane I guess. It really is to bad that there aren't more planes being built from kits anymore, everything is an "ARF" it seems now days. Not bashing the arfs everyone there are some great ones out there. I kinda get a good laugh when I see a new thread of "My such snd such build." When all they do is attach some wings and wheels a receiver and then go fly... anyway...

Seeing that you started your wings it reminded me that I forgot to post those photos of the center wing mod for the quick access to the attaching hardware. So here are a couple of photos, not great photos, but photos none the less. You can see what I did. I just added another strip of balsa so my removable panel would not be so big. I used those earth magnets to hold on the panel. Makes easy access to the wing attaching hardware.

Kerry
Yeah, you expect to find things here and there that are bit off especially when you consider the purpose of this kit, which has never been intended to sell in large numbers as I understand it, so it will always be hard to make sure everything is perfect. But so far I have to say the only things i've found have been pretty easy to nut out for anyone who has probably built a kit or two. I know exactly what you mean when people talk about building an ARF, although putting together an ARF is handy when you just want to be able to fly quickly, I don't get anywhere near the sense of acheivement after completing one. I'm already trying to decide what will go on the building board next after this.

Looks like a neat solution that will keep everything a bit cleaner looking.
Old May 14, 2012, 06:32 AM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,273 Posts
Not much to report on, I was working most of the weekend and despite having the day off today I decided to get some work done around the house before getting stuck into the model.

But I did manage to get started on the other upper wing panel and get it up to a state ready for sheeting.
Old May 14, 2012, 09:37 AM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,469 Posts
Looking good, One of the things that was fun for me was how fast the componets built up.. Starts to look like a plane fast.

No way to cut the slots at an angle, so we left them tight to get a good glue joint.

Dennis
Old May 14, 2012, 06:06 PM
more power=almost enough
USA, ID, Boise
Joined Sep 2003
497 Posts
I know you wont do this, but I am going to say it anyway. Don't forget to remove that balsa wing jig/square before you sheet it. That's something I would do, but nobody else.
Coming along nicely Luke.
Kerry
JetTech is offline Find More Posts by JetTech
Old May 14, 2012, 06:08 PM
Rekitter of fine aircraft
United States, TX, Spring
Joined May 2004
1,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke352 View Post
Not much to report on, I was working most of the weekend and despite having the day off today I decided to get some work done around the house before getting stuck into the model.

But I did manage to get started on the other upper wing panel and get it up to a state ready for sheeting.
How thick is the carbon spar cap? It looks like the stuff I'm using in my Ultimate, but I haven't gotten to the wing yet. If it's the stiff ribbon stuff, how did you laminate it?
SFT2 is offline Find More Posts by SFT2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Expo