HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 29, 2012, 10:42 AM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,469 Posts
either way will work

I used heavy duty ca hinges the carbon was easy to cut with an x acto and is heald in place by the triangle stock. the concept was to keep it simple

Dennis
Dennis C is offline Find More Posts by Dennis C
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2012, 05:14 PM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,287 Posts
Yeah I ended up just doing it that way to keep it easy, I put a piece on the LE of the Elevator, TE of the Stab, and the LE of the Rudder but there is heaps of that stuff left over so I might still consider imbedding a piece into the LE of the stab and also the TE of the fin.
luke352 is online now Find More Posts by luke352
Old Apr 30, 2012, 12:43 PM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,469 Posts
I would add a strip of the carbon fiber to the rear of the rudder fin

The only other potiential week spot is the top of the rudder if you have a really bad landing and it flips.

Dennis
Old May 03, 2012, 05:58 AM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,287 Posts
Haven't done much work on the model in the last few days, since my next steps involve lots of sanding and it's either been raining or i've been doing family related activities. But I've got the day off tomorrow and my son goes to daycare tomorrow so it will give me a chance to work on the cowl and hollow out the back of the fin supports/fairings.

What I have done on the model though is go to town on the tail feathers with the thin carbon strip that Dennis supplied which is meant to go along the leading edge of the Rudder and Elevators along with the TE of the stab but I had plenty left over so I cut a slit along the Fin LE, TE, and stab LE and imbedded the strip into them i've also got a bit left over to treat the TE of the Rudder. End result is a much stiffer structure!
Old May 03, 2012, 07:35 AM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,287 Posts
Oh and I don't want to start on the wings till I get the wing tubes.

Paid for from TNT Landing gear on the 11th, sent on the 18th i'm hoping they'll show up tomorrow since USPS says 7-10 business days, but i'm not being too hopeful. I can't track them since TNT never gave me a tracking #.
Old May 03, 2012, 05:24 PM
more power=almost enough
USA, ID, Boise
Joined Sep 2003
504 Posts
I did the same thing using the carbon fiber on my tail feathers. I thought might as well use it where I can. It's amazing how that stuff stiffens things up.
Did you go with the carbon fiber wing tubes or the aluminium ones. Dennis used the carbon ones I used the aluminium.

After you get this built, will you be needing to take the wings off for transportation or do you have a rig big enough to leave it assembled to transport? The reason I ask is I made another mod to the center wing for easier/better access to the bolts that hold the top wings on. If you plan on removing the wings often you might consider encorporating it in you build. It's simple and easy using earth magnets to hold on an access panel.
Kerry
JetTech is online now Find More Posts by JetTech
Old May 03, 2012, 06:38 PM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,287 Posts
I went with Aluminium Wing tubes, but did end up ordering a CF landing gear from a WildHare Baby Extra $40 on sale and the dimensions looked about right and also a graphtech Tailwheel setup.

If I decide I want to go with Carbon tubes at a later date then is a localish supplier of PBGcombosites that i'll probably go with.

The wings will definitely be coming of for transport as I only have a small hatchback that I drive normally, but not sure if it will fit so will probably need to take the family car (full size sedan) when I take this flying. But in either case wings will be coming off, so definitely interested in your wing removal setup.
Old May 04, 2012, 07:04 AM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,287 Posts
Just some shots of some of the work acheived over the last few days, and lastly a few pics of it all lossely assembled for a pic on it's legs.

If you check the images of the tail feather parts you'll notice a black line running through the LE and TE of most of the parts, this is the CF strip/strap to provide some extra strength. The actual strip is probably only 0.3mm-0.5mm thick but it's surprising how much extra strength it provides.
Old May 04, 2012, 07:09 AM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,287 Posts
On it's legs!
Old May 04, 2012, 12:07 PM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,469 Posts
Luke

You have some excelent building skill's and it is really looking good.

How does it compare to the Ultimate now?

If you cut to the F3 for the canopy it will be right for the single seat model. The canopy should be long enough to make it a 2 place if you want to. A litttle work to make the formers right.

Dennis
Old May 04, 2012, 02:43 PM
more power=almost enough
USA, ID, Boise
Joined Sep 2003
504 Posts
Wow, looks great Luke. I like the idea of hollowing out the peices that hold and fare in the rudder. Wish I would have thought of that. Dennis has taught me that every little bit of weight you can save adds up and a few grams here and there and ounce here and there it all helps in the end result. Preaching to the choir I know, just that I noticed it and wish I had done it.
Anyway like I said looks great so far.

Kerry
JetTech is online now Find More Posts by JetTech
Old May 04, 2012, 06:08 PM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
Luke

You have some excelent building skill's and it is really looking good.

How does it compare to the Ultimate now?

If you cut to the F3 for the canopy it will be right for the single seat model. The canopy should be long enough to make it a 2 place if you want to. A litttle work to make the formers right.

Dennis
Thanks, don't know if I'm that good especially if you compare to some of the guys in the scale forums.

I was actually thinking that last night, I was trying to visulize the 65" GP Ultimate at the field and I think the fuselage of this is bulkier I guess due to the full size having a radial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetTech View Post
Wow, looks great Luke. I like the idea of hollowing out the peices that hold and fare in the rudder. Wish I would have thought of that. Dennis has taught me that every little bit of weight you can save adds up and a few grams here and there and ounce here and there it all helps in the end result. Preaching to the choir I know, just that I noticed it and wish I had done it.
Anyway like I said looks great so far.

Kerry
You can thank Dennis for that idea as it was mentioned in the instruction sheets he sent me. Yeah it's surprising how little bits add up, but it's nice to see that it hasn't gone to the extreme with weight saving. I've got a PA Bandit as my current daily and it weighs about 45-50oz all up ready for flight, but it can't take a knock very well. So IMO they've taken the weight saving a bit to far.
Last edited by luke352; May 04, 2012 at 06:14 PM.
Old May 04, 2012, 07:15 PM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,287 Posts
Hi Dennis, I forgot to mention it but in those images the rudder post is actually about 1/2" aft of the rear edge of the fuselage because the lower forward tip of the fin hits up against the former (F7?) I take it i'm just meant to trim the forward tip of the fin till the rudder post sits up against the fuselage?
Old May 05, 2012, 10:41 AM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,469 Posts
Yes just trim to fit

Dennis
Old May 06, 2012, 07:55 AM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,287 Posts
Hi Dennis,

Another question and i'm pretty sure the answer is no, but do the interplane struts serve any structural purpose? I'm thinking that since i'll be disassembling the model to transport it, i'm trying to come up with some easier methods for disassembly and reassembly. One I saw the other day in RCM&E mag on a DBsport&scale aircraft was to have the interplane strut hinged off the lower wing permanetly so when not in use it simply folds flat against the lower wing and it is simply held in place against the upper wing when in use using magnets. See reply #99 in this thread http://www.rcmf.co.uk/4um/index.php/topic,56730.80.html . Now obvioulsy this only works if the struts erve no structural purpose.