Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 12, 2012, 05:32 AM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,250 Posts
Another question Dennis, Step 5 says to "install 1/4" stringers, 7 places." But I only count 5 locations, 3 across the top and 1 on each side? Is this a mistake or am I missing something?
luke352 is online now Find More Posts by luke352
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2012, 01:06 PM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,467 Posts
My mistake

do not install any stringers at this time The next step is to install the cabanes the stringers are installed at step 9

We made come changes and forgot to take that out at step 5

Dennis
Dennis C is offline Find More Posts by Dennis C
Old Apr 12, 2012, 04:35 PM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,250 Posts
No problem Dennis, I assumed that was the case when i saw step 9. What about phenolic wing tube, is there any need to install that yet? I couldn't see any reason why it needs to go in yet.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 05:17 PM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,467 Posts
The wing tube can go in any time on the fuslage, It helps in alignement when you get to the wings.

I sent the other piece of carbon fiber for reinforceing the rudder elevator

Dennis
Old Apr 12, 2012, 07:40 PM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
The wing tube can go in any time on the fuslage, It helps in alignement when you get to the wings.

I sent the other piece of carbon fiber for reinforceing the rudder elevator

Dennis
That's what I thought, but figured i'd be best checking.

Cool thanks.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 08:08 AM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,250 Posts
Tonight's effort.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 01:44 AM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,250 Posts
Not much to report on have only managed to drill the Cabane struts, but haven't trial fitted and drilled the fuselage yet. Incase you hadn't figured i'm not the fastest builder and don't have many chances to work on the model or for very long periods typically only 2-3 hours at a time and I have to pack up most of the parts after each build session.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 06:48 AM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,250 Posts
Tonights effort stringers from F1 to F5 installed along with sub-sheeting. To explain what's going on to others, around the forward section of the fuselage there is two layers of sheeting to provide extra strength. It's this first layer i.e. sub-sheeting that has been installed in these images.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 03:41 PM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,467 Posts
Looking good, I thought you were going a prety good pace.

Hold the cabanes against the fuslage sides to mark where they will be going through the sub sheeting. You should be able to get very close, then when you cut the sheeting you will have a nice tight fit.

Dennis
Old Apr 18, 2012, 07:02 AM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,250 Posts
Well glad i'm not going as slow as I feel I am.

Well tonight I cut the holes through the sub sheeting for the cabanes as Dennis mentioned above and then set about installing the top sheeting. I only got one piece in place before I decided to call it a night, but a little spray with some water and the balsa curved beautifully and almost dried to shape perfectly, so very little effort was required to glue it in place.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 02:54 PM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,467 Posts
When you get ready to sheet the rear of the fuslage soak the balsa in amonia and water. I wiped amonia on the balsa and ran it under the hot water tap.

Tape it in place and then let it dry before you glue it. pull it around the bend slowly, it is a very tight bend but it will go with out cracks

Dennis
Old Apr 18, 2012, 06:12 PM
more power=almost enough
USA, ID, Boise
Joined Sep 2003
497 Posts
Coming along nicely Luke. Yes you sure clipping along at a nice pace. I know it is a ways off but do you have a color scheme figured out yet?

Dennis it's nice to see another one being built.
Kerry
JetTech is offline Find More Posts by JetTech
Old Apr 18, 2012, 07:42 PM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,250 Posts
Thanks!

As for color scheme it's a bit of an odd one since this model from what I understand is based of the Model 12S of which there has only been about 3 produced. So i'm going to go with a standard Model 12 scheme from which there is many too choose from. Issue is many of them are way above my covering and detail ability level so i've been umming and ahhing over ones that look good yet won't have me going for months trying to get everything "right". At the same time there is also the consideration of orientation.

So i've got two schemes in mind at this time.
N177AD http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=n177ad http://www.2wings.com/m12/images/sn1...s1/images1.htm

or

N612PS http://www.2wings.com/m12/images/sn006/sn006.htm

N612 would be better for orientation but I find the black and white across the top of the wing a bit too prominent. So at this stage i'm leaning towards N177.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:50 PM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,250 Posts
I got a bit of time to work on the plane today, so managed to acheive a bit. Got the other side of the forward fuselage sheeted, cut the holes for the cabanes (quite a time consuming job since you need to be very careful), and started building up the rear fuselage upper structure which included installing the upper part of F5 and F7 along with some shape forming stringers.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 08:01 AM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,250 Posts
Well I made some more progress tonight with the installation of the rear upper turtle deck. Doesn't look like much but quite slow work making sure everything lines up and the balsa has softened enough from it's ammonia and hot water soak to bend nicely without cracking.