HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 08, 2011, 05:07 PM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,467 Posts
all Covered, so now it must be an ARF,

Motor and servo's have been trial fit, no control linkages hooked up yet. Looking forward to flying it again.

Dennis
Dennis C is offline Find More Posts by Dennis C
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 08, 2011, 10:42 PM
more power=almost enough
USA, ID, Boise
Joined Sep 2003
497 Posts
Yuppers, that looks really, really nice Dennis. We are once again waiting for some nice flying weather. We had a few days where we were able to get out and fly, then back to the cruddy weather again. Tomorrow is suposed to be nice but I'm not sure if I'll be flying. Thinking of going shooting. I hear some whistle pigs calling.
Kerry
JetTech is offline Find More Posts by JetTech
Old Apr 13, 2011, 05:53 PM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,467 Posts
Servo's are in, just have to re mount the motor and secure all the wires and stuff

Dennis
Old Apr 16, 2011, 06:23 PM
more power=almost enough
USA, ID, Boise
Joined Sep 2003
497 Posts
OK, went flying today had a great time.....until I decided to fly the UNB12. Oh no! Well not much damage, thank goodness for those springy gear. They take up a lot of the impact when you come down flat. So here is what happened.
Had fresh charged batteries, was super excited to get it in the air again. I had just put in a new receiver pack I just bought. It is a 2s 1800 Mah rather than my old one that was only a 1200 and old. I was getting a bit leary of that one so I replaced it. Anyway take off was wonderful as usual but after lift off it just seemed a bit sluggish, actually, a lot sluggish. I punched the throttle and it climbed but I could tell something was wrong. Stuborn as I am I tried a few upline manuvers but on the 3rd one i ran out of power... I hate it when that happens. So I decided to bring it down. Wind was blowing about 12 kts today, nothing bad. But when I turned downwind the motor stopped... crap. I brought the stick back to re-arm the ecs but it was to late. Loosing altitude fast I pointed it into the wind, lost airspeed and it came down flat from about 6 feet off the ground. Cowling took most the damage, sprung the gear up to the bottom wing and broke both struts.
Now to find out what was wrong. My first thought was that I must have been dreaming when I thought I had charged the batteries... not. But what I did find out was that I had hooked up the receiver pack in serries with one of the motor batteries and my 5s 4400 pack was hooked up to my receiver.... So Dennis, just so you know this plane will fly in a 4s 4400 and a 2s 1800 pack.... just not for very long.
Lesson learned...pay attention to detail!!
I will be back in the air as soon as repairs are finished.
Kerry
Old Apr 17, 2011, 12:17 PM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,467 Posts
Yesterday was a bad day, We had our anual spring float fly, the water was high and we had to stand back farther than normal. the trees were in the way ande easy to fly behind them and loos sight of your plane. The Beaver is no more, with a similar fate to 4 other float planes.

Sorry about the Unobtainium, but sounds like a fairly simple repair.

On a brighter note my Unobtainium is nearly ready to go, just final trim on all the control surfaces to get them all lined up. everything is installed just need to set sub trims and push rod length.

I went with the BEC Pro hooked directly to the flight pack, decided the extra batery was as much a potiential problem as just useing the BEC.

Will try and maiden on Wed if the rain holds off.

Dennis
Old Apr 22, 2011, 10:26 AM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,467 Posts
Maiden yesterday, very windy so I only made one flight. a few clicks elevator and aileron to straight and leval.

I had the battery all the way forward and it was a little nose heavy, so that was good, to windy to tell much about knife edge. buy it was close.

landing was easy, I was happy but the wind was strong enough that I was concerened it might flip it waiting for the battery to charge. packed it up all in good shape

Dennis
Old Apr 23, 2011, 10:21 PM
more power=almost enough
USA, ID, Boise
Joined Sep 2003
497 Posts
That looks real good Dennis. I like the matching color on the gear and cabanes.
I'll start getting mine put back together soon. I'm getting itchy to fly it again. I haven't really been able to give it a good test on my new batteries yet and am curious to see the difference.
Kerry
Old May 12, 2011, 11:44 AM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,467 Posts
Finally got her dressed with the pants.

I just got my 2nd flight pack, the ones I have been useing are the Zippy 9s 4400 15c, I got some Turnigy 9s 4000 30c.

I was suprised by the difference in power. the zippy's were at 2490 Watts after 10 sec. the new 30c turnigy's gave me 2760 Watt's

Can not waite to try them in the air.

Dennis
Old May 13, 2011, 02:24 PM
Old Prop Buster
United States, CA, Grass Valley
Joined Dec 2009
659 Posts
Dennis:
That is one sexy plane! I like the looks better than the old one. Will you be able to fly that at Lyman Gilmore, I want to see it in the air?
Gary
Sir Dumb Thumb is online now Find More Posts by Sir Dumb Thumb
Old May 18, 2011, 11:36 AM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,467 Posts
Gary

Way not a park plane. 12lb and 60" wing span.

I fly it at Dr Hook's field, you are invited to come down and watch and fly, let me know when you can make it

Dennis
Old Jan 14, 2012, 12:15 PM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,467 Posts
The Beast has been on the shelf for a while, The ESC let out the magic smoke in a hover about 20" up, Just barly enough altitude to give full up out of the resulting dive.

Damage to motor box and cowl, did not even break the prop. Had new ones lazer cut and did the rebuild.

Had to wait on Castle to replace the ESC

When I got it back I had a nasty vibration at full throttle, replaced the bent drive shaft on the NEU gear box and then on next flight the front aluminum motor mount plate broke. It also had been bent in the crash, straightened it out but I think there was a stress fracture.

Ready to try again

I have been missing this plane and hope to get some more stick time.

Dennis
Old Jan 17, 2012, 11:30 PM
Live to fly
Sacramento
Joined Apr 2005
5,554 Posts
We need to meet up Dennis! Been to long!
bighead93 is offline Find More Posts by bighead93
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCX racer
Old Jan 21, 2012, 12:00 PM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,467 Posts
We have a fun fly scheduled for the first Sat in Feb the 4th. at Dr hooks. Starts a 10am and BBQ at noon. We have cleaned out the pond and can float fly.

I recieved the new collet from Neu and did a test run with no vibration, so x my fingers and will start flying it again as soon as the weather clears.

Hope this is enough time for you to plan comming up. good to see you at the indoor last night.

Dennis
Old Jan 23, 2012, 08:31 PM
Live to fly
Sacramento
Joined Apr 2005
5,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
We have a fun fly scheduled for the first Sat in Feb the 4th. at Dr hooks. Starts a 10am and BBQ at noon. We have cleaned out the pond and can float fly.

I recieved the new collet from Neu and did a test run with no vibration, so x my fingers and will start flying it again as soon as the weather clears.

Hope this is enough time for you to plan comming up. good to see you at the indoor last night.

Dennis
Think I can make it! I will check with JB and see if he can bring up his giants!
bighead93 is offline Find More Posts by bighead93
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCX racer
Old Feb 02, 2012, 01:50 PM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,467 Posts
New gear box out put shaft and new collet got a couple flights on it and all is well.

With some new 30c batteries the power is awsooom. I have been rying to get some waterfalls and from inverted a deep outside snap and then neutral rudder with full power and down elevator and it is just sick.

I will get some more flight time this Sat at the fun fly.

Dennis