HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 28, 2006, 11:39 AM
3...2...1...See'Ya!!!!
Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2006
922 Posts
Discussion
RC Powered Paraglider in process...

It still needs a lot of work obviously but this is what I have after a weekend of work (and months of thinking about it...).

I built an electric version and got tired of waiting for the battery to charge so I decided to build one for a glow engine. Below are pictures of my progress so far as well as a few of the origional electric. Just so you know, the electric took a major beating through the trial and error process is getting it to fly. It used to have wheels and not be all bent up.

Electric:
Power: AXI 2814-12
Prop: APC 10x7 (pusher)
Battery: 8C 3500mAh Nimh
Canopy:1.2 meter (80"x24"approx) kite I got on Ebay for $35
Servos: 2 HS311 standard servos, home made 3" arms
All Aluminium Construction

New and Improved Nitro:
Power: OS Max .46 AX
Prop: Zinger 12x4 (pusher)
Canopy: Same 1.2meter canopy
Servos:HS225MG with 5" sail arms for canopy control, HS85MG for more wheel steering
Wood Construction (I might build one out of carbon at a later date, this is just a proof of concept... again!)

The electric version flew great but I had to re-line the kite to fly more flat (decrease the angle of attack) because it always wanted to climb. It took a few crashes to figure out how to fly it but I think I have it all set now.
The new nitro version is a little heavier (maybe 1.5 pounds more) but I have probably 3x or 4x the thrust so I think it should be alright (I might have to get a bigger canopy if it flies too fast with the extra weight).

Let me know what you think or if you have any suggestions. I havent found anyone on here that has made one of these lately so I thought I would give it a go.

Jeremy
jrbackus is offline Find More Posts by jrbackus
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 28, 2006, 01:18 PM
jimi hendrix
Joined Apr 2006
1,509 Posts
looks verry good.
how long has it taken u so far?
spitfire123 is offline Find More Posts by spitfire123
Old Aug 28, 2006, 03:54 PM
3...2...1...See'Ya!!!!
Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2006
922 Posts
Well, the electric one(aluminium) I built about 2 months ago and it took about a week from a pile of aluminium until it was flying well. And the nitro one (black), I started it on friday evening and I took those pictures sunday night. So I guess to answer your question, a good weekend of work so far and i'm guessing I can have it flying in a few more days(hopefully).

I have a problem that when I start something, It bothers me until it's done so I usually finish projects all at once. And if I don't finish it all at once, it's usually a while before I get back to it. I think the main reason for this is that I'm just out of college and living in an apt; Whenever I have a project in process, it takes up my entire living room... and dining room... and guest bedroom. And at this point, I have about 4000 projects going at once so I tend to have a messy apt...

I'll attach some videos of the electric one flying. They are pretty low quality as they were taken last minute on my moms digital camera. Keep in mind that these are the first couple flights and they are pretty rough (as you'll see from the near light pole strike and the "landing" in video2). I actually did clip the end of the canopy on that light pole in the video, it's a little hard to tell. Once I found an open area to fly things wend much better (not a 100x100 foot parking lot with very tall trees on 3 1/2 sides... ) .

Link to videos...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...92#post5979648

Enjoy...
Old Aug 28, 2006, 05:19 PM
jimi hendrix
Joined Apr 2006
1,509 Posts
that vidio dont work.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 08:31 PM
Wanatah, IN
Joined Dec 2005
46 Posts
cool
papaw is offline Find More Posts by papaw
Old Aug 29, 2006, 02:13 AM
fly fly fly
Stationed in Aviano, Italy
Joined May 2005
486 Posts
indoruwet flies them full scale, bet he'd apperciate it...
cool btw nice engineering
CanDyRaVeR is offline Find More Posts by CanDyRaVeR
Old Aug 29, 2006, 06:48 AM
jimi hendrix
Joined Apr 2006
1,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanDyRaVeR
indoruwet flies them full scale, bet he'd apperciate it...

i bet he would
Old Aug 29, 2006, 07:47 AM
God's gift to mankind for flying anything.
Joined Aug 2004
3,090 Posts
Uhuh ....
I contacted Jeremy and he gave me the sources where to get the chute.
Did not get further than that.
I also have a RC skydiver, and I may just try to use that chute, with a 15 size engine.
indoruwet is offline Find More Posts by indoruwet
Old Aug 29, 2006, 07:54 AM
3...2...1...See'Ya!!!!
Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2006
922 Posts
I actually fly them full scale too. Thats pretty much what gave me the idea to build the thing. I got the servos mounted last night and the plumbing run for the fuel so I want to get the CG figured out tonight so I can get the canopy mounted ASAP. First I need to learn how to break in an engine and all that good stuff b/c this is my first nitro "airplane" and I really have no clue what I am doing.

Anyways, I have a wedding to go to this weekend so i'm not going to get to test fly it (assuming that I finish it...) but hopefully i'll get to fly next week...
Old Aug 29, 2006, 08:11 AM
Whitby, Ontario
Joined Feb 2006
368 Posts
I don't know the first thing about these things, so please forgive my ignorance.... but isn't the .46 going to give you an insane amount of thrust for this thing? Like, an uncontrollable amount?

I kinda have visions of it just looping and looping and looping. hehe
HowardSmith is offline Find More Posts by HowardSmith
Old Aug 29, 2006, 09:12 AM
3...2...1...See'Ya!!!!
Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2006
922 Posts
I don't exactly have a Ph.D. in remote control powered paragliders... Having built several of these things now, and I've been skydiving for 7 years and flying full scale powered paragliders for a couple years now, I like to think that I know quite a bit about these things but the reality is, most of what I do is a complete guess and a lot of trial and error... Ughhh, I mean, everything I do is planned out and works perfectly the first time, every time...you too right???

And to answer your question, yes, I do think it is an insane ammount of power. I really have no idea at all how it is going to react to the thrust. I might have to add a lot of weight to it in order to get the wing loading up but then it will fly a lot faster. My plan is to build it, try to fly it, figure out where I need to go from there... I might need a different canopy or more weight, I have NO CLUE!!!!

Thats my first, more reasonable plan... The second plan is to accecpt the power and deal with it!!! If it wants to loop over the top??? LET IT!! (just hope it doesn't land in the canopy...) I just need to learn to fly it like anyone has to learn to fly a new model they build.

And in defense of the power, this thing isn't small by any means. It is really hard to tell the scale in the pictures but from tip to tail it is 24 inches long and from wheels to top is probably about 16 inches tall. All up weight I am guessing is going to be around 5 or 6lbs. I might just have to learn throttle management(riiiight...) That is until I get good enough at flying it to let it loop and loop and loop and loop...

Keep it 2 mistakes high and go for it!!!

So I guess the point of this is that I really have no idea how it is going to turn out... Hopefully I will know soon... and so will you once I get it flying and get my video camera set up...
Last edited by jrbackus; Aug 29, 2006 at 09:28 AM.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 10:36 AM
Whitby, Ontario
Joined Feb 2006
368 Posts
I like your attitude. Get video.
HowardSmith is offline Find More Posts by HowardSmith
Old Aug 29, 2006, 01:32 PM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbackus
Keep it 2 mistakes high and go for it!!!
Make it 3 mistakes high.

Ivan
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 29, 2006, 02:40 PM
Joined Jan 2003
257 Posts
Windbag

Anyone have interest in aquiring the parafoil for the Old Windbag plane. I have one that I will part with for a very reasonable price.

Thanks
ronrange is offline Find More Posts by ronrange
Old Aug 29, 2006, 04:13 PM
God's gift to mankind for flying anything.
Joined Aug 2004
3,090 Posts
Jeremy, I do not think that it will ever "loop". Even with a lot of power at 6 pounds weight. The one I am planning, will be powered by a 15 sized engine......
I wonder how much similarity there is between your small model and our full scale ones.

I think if you go full throttle, once she's done, she will just climb like heck ????

I fly a Buckeye Dream Machine, 65 hp Rotax e-box. 500sq feet chute. Total weight maybe 400 plus pounds ? Do not really know. But I do know if I fly alone, I am at 5000' within a very short time, compared to at 300' with two people.
How many hours have you got by now. Will you go for the new Sport Pilot License ?
indoruwet is offline Find More Posts by indoruwet
Last edited by indoruwet; Aug 31, 2006 at 02:38 PM.