HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 27, 2006, 11:31 PM
United States, PA, Shamokin
Joined Mar 2004
499 Posts
Question
Electro Kadett from Hobby Lobby

I am an experienced glow and electric flyer. I have decided to step up to a larger electric plane and I am considering the Electro Kadett by Graupner. Hobby Lobby sells the plane and they recommend an Axi 2820/12 motor for power, a 20c 3 cell pack, and an 11-7 propeller.

What other motors would work favorably with this plane with a 3 cell pack? I like to over power my planes a little, I like the extra power when I need it.

I know there are dozens of Chinese motors out there, but I am unfamiliar with what is decent and what is not. I want something that will hold up to repeated use and be satisfactory in some other planes of similar size and weight. (63" span @57 ounces) I am willing to pay for the quality of an Axi, but I want a little more oomf than what they are recommending. Maybe a different Axi??

I find the information on motors a bit mind boggling, and its changing so rapidly that many posts are now out of date. Thanks for the read. I appreciate the responses that I have had in these forums.

Jesse in Pennsylvania
Zagabond is online now Find More Posts by Zagabond
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 28, 2006, 09:07 PM
Joined Mar 2004
499 Posts
info from Hobby Lobby

I emailed HL about the plane and their set up. I was told that a good hop up is the Axi 2826/12. So, unless something better for the buck comes along, thats what I will buy....
Old Aug 28, 2006, 09:43 PM
Straight up is all I ask
Fairfield Ct USA
Joined Apr 2002
2,321 Posts
Get yourself an Astro 25 geared brushless . Tough American factory backed , very effecent and a bunch more power than the sugested setup .
jmolwitz is offline Find More Posts by jmolwitz
Old Aug 29, 2006, 10:22 PM
Joined Mar 2004
499 Posts
astro

Hi,

Thanks for the info on the Astro. I hadnt really considered them but their website shows the stats... nice motors, but a bit pricey.

I dont know how much faith one can put into published information. It becomes a matter of trust. I try to read between the lines on this stuff, but it can be confusing.

The Axi and the Astro motors have similar power ranges on 3 cell lipos, but the gear drive system draws a little less amps. When using the 14x7 on both motors, they are close to each other in performance. At least thats what the charts say... maybe your experience tells otherwise?

I will have to do some more research. Thanks for the info.

Jesse
Old Aug 30, 2006, 01:50 PM
Straight up is all I ask
Fairfield Ct USA
Joined Apr 2002
2,321 Posts
I am using the Geared 40 brushless In a Fourstar 60 and its a blast . The Astro 25 is twice as powerfull as the Axi sugested by HL . You can go 4 or 5 s to really get things cookin . I Do have the Taxi cup 2(looks like same fuse different wing) Running on 650 whatts and it really runs good
You can pay attn to What Astro Bob says about his performance because he tests everything and the 25 uses the same gearbox as the 40 (tough stuff) Personaly I think 3s is good up to a .25 size plane , you might as well bite the bullet now unless you have stock is 3s stuff
jmolwitz is offline Find More Posts by jmolwitz
Old Aug 30, 2006, 08:20 PM
OCD
King, NC
Joined Aug 2000
485 Posts
Another option, Hacker A30-8XL with the X-40 runs about $150 including mounting hardware. The Hacker A30's are very efficient outrunners and affordable.

There's the e-flight Power 32 that fits in this power level also.

Marcus
Wright is offline Find More Posts by Wright
Old Aug 30, 2006, 11:19 PM
Team 3DHS
San Antonio, TX
Joined Sep 2004
15,632 Posts
Anything that gives you 100-150 watts / lb will give you good spirited performance. At about 130 watts / lb, you should be at or slightly above 1:1 thrust to weight ratio. The key is getting a motor combo that will deliver that much wattage while able to spin a large (but not too large) enough prop for your plane.
BoneDoc is offline Find More Posts by BoneDoc
Old Sep 04, 2006, 03:41 AM
Pull out early!
Lexington, KY
Joined Jan 2005
1,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagabond
I emailed HL about the plane and their set up. I was told that a good hop up is the Axi 2826/12. So, unless something better for the buck comes along, thats what I will buy....
The /12 on 3s needs an apc 13x8E, and would be an inch closer to striking the ground. If you want the same motor with a smaller prop (like an 11"), think about the 2826/10. Just a thought.

Dave
DiveBombDave is offline Find More Posts by DiveBombDave