HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 27, 2006, 08:32 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
Discussion
How do I program a Throttle Curve to smooth out Tower Pro 15A ESC?

I bought a couple of the Tower Pro 15A Brushless ESC's. I found out right away that these controllers don't have very good linearity to the throttle, it's pretty much low throttle or full throttle. Taxing out a plane has to be done in awkward bursts of throttle for lack of low throttle response. Somebody on this forum mentioned that by playing with the throttle curve using Exponential & End point adjustments, you can smooth out the nasty throttle characteristic of these Tower Pro ESC's. My question is how do I do it? I'm using a Futaba 6EXA computer radio but what settings should I be shooting for, can you toss me any numbers that I will need to get some better throttle response?

-Thanks-

Mike
mrebman is offline Find More Posts by mrebman
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 28, 2006, 11:23 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
Thanks for all the ideas! Actually it looks like my Futaba 6EXA only offers Expo & EPA programming for the Aileron & Elevator functions but not Throttle. I will have
to experiment with my Atlas outrunner & see how the Tower Pro ESC does, if not I guess I will have to bite the Bullet & get maybe a Thunderbird 18A controller. Any other suggestions for an ESC with a cheap price AND good
throttle response?

-Thanks-

Mike
Old Aug 29, 2006, 01:46 AM
just wing it
Foresthill, California
Joined Jul 2004
698 Posts
I just got a cheap 15A esc (hextronic) that also has an unexpected throttle response. This might be the same esc in a different package??? I found that if I connect the battery with the stick at half throttle, it zeros out at half throttle. So the lower half is useless. Now I know to connect with the stick down. Even so, the motor spins up very slowly when throttling up - which is not good for hand launch foamies that I like to toss power off, and punch it before it glides to the ground.

I also have the TB-18, which is a good esc for pretty cheap ~ $30 bucks. The smoothest I know of is cool running esc. Very linear and very precise for hovering and such. Unfortunately they are on short supply, and they don't have one in between the 12A and 25A.

I too use the 6EXA, but I never tried expo on ch3. Apparently it won't do me any good.

EDIT:
Others are suggesting Align & Quark

Or Motortron and others. . .

Good selection
Flappy is offline Find More Posts by Flappy
Last edited by Flappy; Aug 29, 2006 at 02:41 AM.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 01:56 AM
ARF Hater Club
Toronto, Ontario
Joined May 2004
2,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrebman
Thanks for all the ideas! Actually it looks like my Futaba 6EXA only offers Expo & EPA programming for the Aileron & Elevator functions but not Throttle.
Mike
Perhaps the radio is set up in Acro mode. Set it up in Heli mode for your airplane and mix a throttle curve.
tommyeflight89 is offline Find More Posts by tommyeflight89
Old Aug 29, 2006, 06:57 AM
Indiana
Joined Jul 2003
1,064 Posts
Try lowering the ATV on the throttle channel to about 80%, both top and bottom. Some radios have a smaller total range than others. The elcheapo ESC's seem to be designed for the narrowest usable range. Make sure your getting full throttle from the ESC after changing the ATV!
icrashrc is offline Find More Posts by icrashrc
Old Aug 29, 2006, 07:41 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
Icrash:

What is the ATV? The only adjustments I see are for Expo & EPA.

-Thanks-

Mike
Old Aug 29, 2006, 09:47 PM
Registered Lifeform
Little Rock,AR,USA
Joined Jun 1999
801 Posts
Mike,

ATV=EPA

EPA= End Point Adjustment

ATV= A????? Travel V?????

Don't you just love the way manufacturers invent acronyms? Sometimes (rarely) they even make sense.

This is definitely worth a try. If you reduce the endpoints too much, the ESC may not arm. It's also quite possible that this won't help all that much, a lot of the cheap controllers just have really lousy linearity.

Paul
Paul Willenborg is offline Find More Posts by Paul Willenborg
Old Aug 29, 2006, 10:39 PM
I like foam
outside of philadelphia
Joined Nov 2005
287 Posts
can you put the Tx in heli mode and set the throttle curve?

this is standard for heli pilots...
mikeythev is offline Find More Posts by mikeythev
Old Aug 30, 2006, 02:39 AM
Fly fast and turn left!!
Bruxelles/Uccle
Joined Dec 2001
169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrebman
Any other suggestions for an ESC with a cheap price AND good
throttle response?

-Thanks-

Mike
Try the GWS BL ESC, I fund the throttle curve is very smooth.
They have 15 A and 25A and also a 35A.
have fun!!
gouang is offline Find More Posts by gouang
Old Aug 30, 2006, 05:48 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Willenborg
Mike,

ATV=EPA

EPA= End Point Adjustment

ATV= A????? Travel V?????

Don't you just love the way manufacturers invent acronyms? Sometimes (rarely) they even make sense.

This is definitely worth a try. If you reduce the endpoints too much, the ESC may not arm. It's also quite possible that this won't help all that much, a lot of the cheap controllers just have really lousy linearity.

Paul
ATV = Adjustable Travel Volume = EPA

Azarr
www.ecubedrc.com
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Aug 30, 2006, 01:29 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
Guys:
Thanks, Last night I finished the Pitts S2 Bipe & hooked up the Tower Pro 15A to a nice Atlas Outrunner from Hobby Lobby. Believe it or not the Atlas seems to have pretty good throttle response even using the questionable Tower Pro ESC, MUCH better throttle response than I was getting from my Geared Himax 2015-4200. Is it possible that the motor type & quality makes some difference? I will try to see if my rather limited Futaba 6EXA will let me adjust EPA on the throttle, I may have to play around with it.

P.S. - I am fairly impressed with this Atlas Outrunner in quality & performance, seems plenty powerful. This was the Atlas that HL sold on the "Crash" sale about 2 months ago for $29.

-Thanks -

Mike
Old Mar 19, 2007, 10:49 PM
Canada, BC, Nanaimo
Joined Oct 2006
163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyeflight89
Perhaps the radio is set up in Acro mode. Set it up in Heli mode for your airplane and mix a throttle curve.
This might be an old, dead thread but it still contains great information! I had the same problem with a cheap TowerPro ESC and tried everything to get a more linear throttle curve, including EPA, expo etc. and nothing worked. Switched it to Heli mode on my 7CHP, spent 10 minutes messing with throttle curve points and voila - a perfect throttle curve! Don't set the start point too high though, or the ESC will adjust itself to (over) compensate when you power it up.

Thanks for the great (old!) tip!
mantraguy is offline Find More Posts by mantraguy