HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 12, 2002, 09:42 AM
Build A Rocket Boys!
Portland, Oregon
Joined May 2002
4,062 Posts
Looking for suggestions on motor/gear setup for Kyosho Stratus 1600

I just picked up one of these at my LHS for a heck of a good price ($69.99) so I couldn't resist. I want to put a light, good quality in-line gear system in the plane. It comes with a 380 motor, but I am considering going brushless. Can someone suggest an optimal motor, gear and prop setup for this plane? Thanks,

Vic
PDX Slope Pilot is offline Find More Posts by PDX Slope Pilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 20, 2002, 07:29 AM
Cocoa, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
272 Posts
Motor for Stratus

Good morning!
You may wish to consider a cheaper alternative that I now have some real world flight time on, and with which I am quite pleased.
I have an FVK Impulse 2 LMR ( 98" span, sheeted foam wing with ailerons and flaps, F/G fuselage, 6 servos using the Ultimate BEC). I am powering it with an R/C car motor, a Trinity Chameleon Pro 2, 19 turn unit ($35 from Tower) through an MPJ 3.8:1 planetary gearbox ( about $24 from either Aircraft World or Hobby Lobby ) on 8 CP1700 cells and either a CAM 12.5X7.5 or a Falco 14X8 prop.
I believe this will be a notably heavier plane than the Stratus, and I am QUITE pleased with the performance.
With the Falco prop, I get 5 climbs to altitude. The CAM prop gets me there much faster, but only 3 times.
I have also put this same setup in planes for two friends. One is an Omega 2.5, and the other is a Hangar Nine Aspire EP. The Aspire belongs to an R/C car racer, so he wanted to run it on 6 cells to take advantage of his 6 cell RC2400 car packs. He uses a 17X13 CAM prop.
The Omega runs on either a 6 cell CP1300 pack and a 17X13, or an 8 cell CP1700 pack and a 14X9.5 prop.
Both planes fly GREAT!
I have another complete drive train ( Chameleon Pro 2 motor, MPJ gearbox , Griffin 40 controller ) ready to go now. I was considering putting it in a Hangar Nine "Aspire EP " that I had stripped out, and selling the whole rig. But, shipping the big one- piece wing would be a problem, so I'm not sure now.
I AM going brushless with my Jerry ( Aveox 1015/1.5Y, 4,4:1 ) just to get the higher performance this ship needs.
But, for just getting a glider to thermal altitude in a brisk fashion, this MUCH cheaper setup works GREAT!
Sure, you need to put a set of brushes in it once in a while, but I can't tell you how many flights that will be as yet. Best guess for me is AT LEAST 30 or more flights on a $4 set of brushes.
Not wanting to restart the old "Brushed vs brushless" debate, as I will be on BOTH sides of THAT one!
Just ( inexpensive ) food for thought.
Bob Cowgill
Cocoa, Florida
E-mail:rcowgill@cfl.rr.com
bmwbob is offline Find More Posts by bmwbob
Old Aug 21, 2002, 10:21 AM
Build A Rocket Boys!
Portland, Oregon
Joined May 2002
4,062 Posts
Thanks for your suggestions Bob. I have gotten a good brushless direct drive suggestion from Air Craft. They recommend a Mega 15/16/6 motor running a 8x4.5 Graupner Cam prop. Amp draw will be around 15. Once I get some additional $$$ I'll probably spring for this setup.

Vic
PDX Slope Pilot is offline Find More Posts by PDX Slope Pilot
Old Aug 21, 2002, 09:50 PM
Arlington,VA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,862 Posts
That is the exact setup (16/15/6 graupner 8x4.5) I use on a smaller sp-400 plane. I get around 15oz static thrust on 8x600mah packs. In the Kyosho it should be great!
pullin-gs is offline Find More Posts by pullin-gs