HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 26, 2006, 05:57 PM
West Tennessee
Joined Aug 2006
6 Posts
Discussion
Fun Noodle Pontoon Boat Project

Here is a picture of the fun noodle pontoon we built from a scrap electric plane. What I plan is to build another one similar to this one, but it will be larger and will have more functions. I plan to use it as a fishing platform. Yep, I am going fishing with it. It will have an electric reel (modified servo) to let the line in and out. It will have a pole lift servo to "set the hook" when the fish bites. It will have sonar for locating underwater structure. I will be building all the electronic speed controls from scratch.

I don't know anything about electric plane motors or props. The boat will weigh about 10 pounds and 24 inches long and 12 inches wide. Speed is not too important. What size motor and prop will do the job that is not expensive?

Tom
tlewis is offline Find More Posts by tlewis
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2006, 07:09 PM
Central Missouri,USA Along the banks of the Missouri River
Joined Jun 2005
1,734 Posts
Will that be a big enough boat,if a really big fish takes the bait??A large mouth bass or large catfish can exert alot of down and side to side force.The boat will have to be bouyant enough for a worst case senario.The motor will have to have alot of torq. and you will need alot of amp/hrs unless you want to charge up your battery in between fish.Also,theres a balance problem to think about.If a fish is pulling on one side of the boat then you need a counterweight on the other side to offset the pulling force of the fish.This does sound like a fun project with some challanges to overcome.Keep everyone updated with your progress.
tim slocum is offline Find More Posts by tim slocum
Old Aug 26, 2006, 08:19 PM
West Tennessee
Joined Aug 2006
6 Posts
Tim,

I have thought about these things. I will be using 1.5 lb test fishing line. I hope the "big ones" get away.ha...The 3 inch diameter fun noodles are hard to sink. I may go to a 30 inch length x 15 inch width. I will be testing the platform in October. I am shooting for panfish (Crappie).

These are some of the reasons for a cheap motor. It could get pulled under.

Here are pics of my reel. I have lifted 3 pounds with it. Not bad for a little servo.

Tom
tlewis is offline Find More Posts by tlewis
Old Aug 26, 2006, 09:23 PM
McAlester
Joined Nov 2004
1,370 Posts
You might suspend the line/bait from the center of the boat rather than the back end. Sort of 'equalizes' front/back side to side stuff. Easier to maintain directional control when pulling in that monster too!
- 'Doc

I can't resist! Around here, 'crappie' fishing can mean one of two things...
LtDoc is offline Find More Posts by LtDoc
Old Aug 29, 2006, 03:32 PM
3 Blades to the Wind
Atascadero, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
4,085 Posts
I went over this thread again, and I'm still having a hard time imagining an air-prop which is probably putting out about 15-20oz's of thrust (maximum) at static pulling in any kind of struggling fish. A large goldfish could give that thing a good fight even if you were to 'pull' it up with a 3lb capacity reel.

I think it's a VERY cool idea, and using an old Aerobird pod is very clever, however, for fishing? I think the thing being towed around will be the boat! I'd be more for making it a precision 'bait dropper' than an actual fishing platform! LOL!

I like that servo reel, would make a good RC winch system!
Shaun Hendricks is offline Find More Posts by Shaun Hendricks
Old Aug 29, 2006, 06:30 PM
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
4,493 Posts
Oh what one can do with a fly reel.
green-boat is offline Find More Posts by green-boat