SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 10, 2012, 05:29 AM
United States, CA, Elk Grove
Joined Dec 2011
347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmyway View Post
How tight did you make the screws ? Probably not related to being ripped out, but the mount looks too tight in the foam thats still around it.
Also, looks like the foam compressed all around the mount, actually, the whole rear area looks like it took a hard whack to the tail ................ maybe a "hard landing" that smacked the tail a little .................. those compression lines in your paint are a giveaway that "something" took a shot back there. The foam around the mount ripped off going up, possibly a prop strike on the ground ?

On a good note, its great to see that you mounted your motor so it cools best !!!

On a bad note ................. youre still using the stock clevises and pushrods ?
I haven't unscrewed the mount screws yet, so I'm not sure if they loosened up a bit. I'm usually pretty good about not over tightening fasteners (I use to work as an engineer at an aerospace fastener company, focusing on nuts and collars), but it is possible that I over tightened them.

I've only had 2 major crashes with that stryker. Both were nose first meetings. So I can see some of the, if not all, of the compression due to those crashes. It probably didn't help the airframe on my last flight. I've been thinking about possible ways the mount could have broken loose. The area where I fly is on it's way to hip high (and higher!) milo/animal feed/grass. The vegetation is stringy and thick. It might be possible that the prop caught some of it and became entwined. With the torque of the motor yanking on the "greens," it may be possible that that's what compromised an already compromised (doh!) mount. Come to think of it, the prop did have some green "paint" left by the plants. I'm finding it hard to believe since I always cut throttle right before I know I'm going to crash or land. Who knows?

What was really strange to me was that my stryker was found lying flat upon the plants (had three people helping locate it since the vegetation was so tall) with the battery hatch missing and battery a few feet away in front. The kicker...the beeping battery checker alarm that attaches to the balance connector of the lipo, was sitting in the fuse's battery compartment. What the heck? If the battery isn't in the tray, shouldn't the battery checker alarm be attached with it? Yeah, I'm still scratching my head on that one.

Good eyes! I am still using the stock clevises and pushrods. What do you recommend for replacements? I have some spare Dubro horns, but not any clevises or pushrods. One of the fellows I fly with made balsa elevons for his custom stryker. I'm thinking of doing the same for my next build. I'm not sure when I'm going to get to it yet as I'm working on an experimental edf glider at the moment, transitioning to a new job, baby, moving, etc. You know, everyday life.
Alpha_Geist is offline Find More Posts by Alpha_Geist
Last edited by Alpha_Geist; Apr 10, 2012 at 05:32 AM. Reason: spelling, late night drowsiness
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 10, 2012, 06:48 AM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,999 Posts
It takes ALOT to chunk out that foam, so much so that I couldnt do it, but you did. I am pretty sure that the same forces that caused those compression marks also caused the mount to loosen up, that last landing was just the straw that broke the camels back. Guaranteed that your fuse is bananna'ed.

As far as tightening the mount to the foam, you should just see the foam start to indent, 2 finger tips is all you need, then only adjust thrust angle if needed !

Strange things happen in crashes, I have had my flight battery stay put while my ESC, main battery, and BEC have been thrown. The flight battery was the only thing not secured or glued.

2-56 rods and associated hardware are normal for replacing the stock hardware.
4-40 is overkill unless you plan on making some 150+ mph runs.
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
Last edited by moparmyway; Apr 10, 2012 at 06:54 AM.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 10:04 PM
Joined Dec 2011
347 Posts
HKII-2221-10 w/ APC 5x5e 4S

Here is the last data logged on the ill-fated flight.

I cropped right to where it started. The initial boot up sequence (red vertical bar) was intentionally cropped, however, there wasn't an end boot sequence. Last shown data is what exactly was logged, right to the last second.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 08:33 PM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,999 Posts
You have effectively flown with double the reccomended max power. Mounting that motor the way it is is keeping it alive !!

I say try an APC 6x4 Sport after you balance it !!!
Old Apr 12, 2012, 02:36 AM
Joined Dec 2011
347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmyway View Post
You have effectively flown with double the reccomended max power. Mounting that motor the way it is is keeping it alive !!

I say try an APC 6x4 Sport after you balance it !!!
Hahaha! That's probably the only thing keeping it alive too!

That does sound tempting....hmmm, balancing smaller props should be faster than the larger variety, eh.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 05:55 AM
never mind the boll⁣⁣⁣ocks
Australia, NSW
Joined Dec 2010
1,256 Posts
i bought a bunch of APC 6x4 sport props and when i put them on my balancer they were perfect!? does this mean my balancer is rubbish or is that kind of normal for these... ?
brosius85 is offline Find More Posts by brosius85
Old Apr 12, 2012, 07:00 AM
Paducah, KY
Joined Jan 2010
178 Posts
Where do I pick up a motor mount for this thing? I have just a bare fuse with nothing else. So I need it all. I can make the vert stabs and elevons just by looking at the photo's I've seen of yours. But the motor mounts look a little more complicated then I want to do. 100 mph is fast enough for me right now. So what ever you guys suggest for the motor and stuff would help me out.

Orion
orion13 is offline Find More Posts by orion13
Old Apr 12, 2012, 07:03 AM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion13 View Post
Where do I pick up a motor mount for this thing? I have just a bare fuse with nothing else. So I need it all. I can make the vert stabs and elevons just by looking at the photo's I've seen of yours. But the motor mounts look a little more complicated then I want to do. 100 mph is fast enough for me right now. So what ever you guys suggest for the motor and stuff would help me out.

Orion
CustomRCparts.com
The maker of THE motor mount.
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx
Last edited by Arcteryxxx; Apr 12, 2012 at 07:41 AM.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 01:28 PM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brosius85 View Post
i bought a bunch of APC 6x4 sport props and when i put them on my balancer they were perfect!? does this mean my balancer is rubbish or is that kind of normal for these... ?
depends on if you drilled them or not, your type of balancer, are you trying to balance them outside in the breeze, did you file or sand down the casting flash where the adapter hub will be sitting, is the prop sitting perfect on the shaft of the balancer ? ..................etc.
If you are using a regular Du-Bro type of balancer, then the 6x4 Sport might be a little light for it to indicate properly.

If you are using the magnetic version like Top Flite or equal, then the prop should be able to be stopped anywhere along its circle without moving forward or backward.

If your 6x4 Sport props just happened to be in balance with a magnetic balancer (thats set up correctly) then you have found yourself a very rare batch thats balanced well.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 04:22 PM
Paducah, KY
Joined Jan 2010
178 Posts
I already have a Turnigy 4240 1050 motor just lying around. Would this work ok on this plane or should I go with something else all together?
orion13 is offline Find More Posts by orion13
Old Apr 12, 2012, 05:23 PM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion13 View Post
I already have a Turnigy 4240 1050 motor just lying around. Would this work ok on this plane or should I go with something else all together?
Can you run 8 cells with that motor ?
How will you mount the motor ?
Old Apr 12, 2012, 05:30 PM
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,384 Posts
I really don't think that 1050kv motor is built for the 20some thousand rpm you would want in a Stryker. You can get way better motors for this application - even from HK.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 06:26 PM
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,384 Posts
Stryker C buget setup

Some time ago I tried a lot of different HK stuff to see what works and what doesn't in a Stryker. HK pours out motors, ESCs and stuff and I have only tried a small fraction of the combos available.
From the 20+ setups I have tried these are my favorite components:

Motor: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11181

ESC:http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
Run it with a separate BEC like the one from CC or use the http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...23v_Input.html either drawing power from the main battery or from something like this: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

For mounting the motor you don't wanna get something from HK, but this is the one to get: http://www.customrcparts.com/index.p...ar69foivr8ul91 (together with the brackets of course)

Run the combo with an APC8x6 sport on 4S for incredible climbing performance or with an APC7x8 sport for some 130mph speed runs in a glassed Stryker.
I think this will be about the best you can hope to get from $100 worth of hardware.
Battery size should be no smaller than 4S4000 40C or 5S3000 40C, preferably larger.

How do I know this? I can prove it
4S and 8x6
Stryker Fun (3 min 2 sec)

5S and 7x8
F27 Stryker: Sleipner_H3126_APC7080_5S3000.wmv (2 min 54 sec)

The Stryker in the video is a far from perfect specimen, but built strong with CF tubing, glassed all around and sturdy as a armoured truck. AUW was about 1850 grams.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 12:22 AM
Joined Apr 2010
27 Posts
Has anyone tried doing a duel motor trial on a Strykert? My Idea was to mount a 2212-6 on the aft and modify the front end to take the same motor. Use a ESC that is 2x the wattage of what a single motor would use and wire the motors in parallel.
doneod1 is offline Find More Posts by doneod1
Old Apr 13, 2012, 04:30 AM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,999 Posts
Use 2 ESC's. 1 for each motor