HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 01, 2012, 03:04 PM
Michigan
Joined Feb 2006
502 Posts
Quote:
the balsa strips i used are 1/16 inch thick by 2 inch wide I had to do a bit of shapeing on them, the LHS didnt have those pre made ones
1/16 inch thick is a bit too thin...if you want stronger elevons make a straight line at the top of the 4 foam tabs on fuse and cut them off...glue a small strip of balsa to the foam trailing edge...then use 1/4 inch thick balsa for elevons and 3 dubro hinges...I have some vids on my website if you want to give it a shot...
finster is offline Find More Posts by finster
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2012, 04:50 PM
United States, CA, Elk Grove
Joined Dec 2011
347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by finster View Post
1/16 inch thick is a bit too thin...if you want stronger elevons make a straight line at the top of the 4 foam tabs on fuse and cut them off...glue a small strip of balsa to the foam trailing edge...then use 1/4 inch thick balsa for elevons and 3 dubro hinges...I have some vids on my website if you want to give it a shot...
Yes, please link the videos on your website. A modification like that helps having some visual clues/instructions/examples.
Alpha_Geist is offline Find More Posts by Alpha_Geist
Old Mar 01, 2012, 07:26 PM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
5,001 Posts
Just be carefull cutting off trailing edge foam.
The heavier setups need the additional weight and rearward leverage that results from moving the elevons back a few mm's when you just glue bass or balsa to the trailing edge without cutting away any foam. Alpha's setup now is relatively light, but if larger batteries are in the future, you might have a hard time getting the CG correct.
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
Old Mar 01, 2012, 07:29 PM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmyway View Post
Just be carefull cutting off trailing edge foam.
The heavier setups need the additional weight and rearward leverage that results from moving the elevons back a few mm's when you just glue bass or balsa to the trailing edge without cutting away any foam. Alpha's setup now is relatively light, but if larger batteries are in the future, you might have a hard time getting the CG correct.
Second that!
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx
Old Mar 03, 2012, 04:19 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,643 Posts
I rebuilt my Mini Stryker. This time it's a tractor mount setup. Here's a vid: (best viewed in at least 720p mode full screen)

Mini Stryker II (3 min 5 sec)
cjbucher is offline Find More Posts by cjbucher
Old Mar 03, 2012, 05:52 PM
Joined Dec 2011
347 Posts
4S prop question

Alright, so I have another question regarding prop size on 4S with my setup and about CC ICE 100A ESC motor male/female bullet connectors.

-Currently waiting for the Turnigy 2836-2350kV motor to arrive
-custom rc parts motor mount
-cc ice 100A ESC
-3S 25/35/45C 2200 mAh hyp LiPos
-6x4E prop

nice for a 3S setup, however, for a 4S 35/65C 2650/2250 mAh Turnigy-Nano Tech Lipos...should I prop down or would the 6x4E prop suffice with the same motor?
Last edited by Alpha_Geist; Mar 08, 2012 at 02:31 AM.
Old Mar 03, 2012, 05:55 PM
Joined Dec 2011
347 Posts
3M extreme tape question

Also another question.

I was thinking of taping some leading edges on before I painted my stryker airframe. How well does the Krylon spray paint adhere to the 3M Extreme tape? I'm concerned that the paint wouldn't stick well or diminish from the final painting.
Old Mar 03, 2012, 06:13 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
The paint will stick terribly to the tape!!
The outer surface of the tape is super slick, so any paint or even glue will have a hard time sticking.

You could paint the LE and then apply 3M Mailing and Storage Tape over the paint.
This tape is clear, UV resistant and very sticky. It's thick enough to protect against everyday scrapes and dings.

I've become less impressed with Xtreme tape over time. It turns brittle and crumbly after a while.
murdnunoc is offline Find More Posts by murdnunoc
Old Mar 03, 2012, 08:47 PM
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Joined Sep 2007
2,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdnunoc View Post
..... It turns brittle and crumbly after a while.
LOL! None of mine last THAT long......
Peter M is offline Find More Posts by Peter M
Old Mar 03, 2012, 11:41 PM
Joined Dec 2011
347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdnunoc View Post
The paint will stick terribly to the tape!!
The outer surface of the tape is super slick, so any paint or even glue will have a hard time sticking.

You could paint the LE and then apply 3M Mailing and Storage Tape over the paint.
This tape is clear, UV resistant and very sticky. It's thick enough to protect against everyday scrapes and dings.

I've become less impressed with Xtreme tape over time. It turns brittle and crumbly after a while.
Ahhhh! Thanks for clearing that up for me. Looks like I will just paint first and tape with the 3M mailing & storage tape you recommended.

I like putting the 3M extreme tape on the belly of my Bixler, but other than that...it looks horrible despite it being tough and bidirectional tape.
Old Mar 04, 2012, 09:33 AM
Alberta,Canada
Joined Nov 2009
2,484 Posts
Ive found this tape called Hurricane tape,its really strong,and doesnt get brittle over time.
rimripper is offline Find More Posts by rimripper
Old Mar 04, 2012, 11:03 AM
what ya mean i have to land?
DesMoines,Wa
Joined Feb 2008
1,404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha_Geist View Post
Alright, so I have another question regarding prop size on 4S with my setup and about CC ICE 100A ESC motor male/female bullet connectors.

-Currently waiting for the Turnigy 2836-2350kV motor to arrive
-custom rc parts motor mount
-cc ice 100A ESC
-3S 25/35/45C 2200 mAh hyp LiPos
-6x4E prop

nice for a 3S setup, however, for a 4S 35/65C 2650/2250 mAh Turnigy-Nano Tech Lipos...should I prop down or would the 6x4E prop suffice with the same motor?

Also, I picked up a larger ESC for future upgrade ability in the near future...I've noticed that the CC ice 100A motor cables are 10 AWG. What size male/female bullet connectors is recommended for that gauge wire (with future more powerful motor upgrages in mind)? I only have 3mm and 4mm connectors and they are puny compared to the 10AWG wires. >_<
another motor if you want cheap is the turnigy 480l v spec
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9383
i use this on 4s 3300 batts with a 7x5 cut to a 6.5x5.consistent 117 runs level flight,and have used the same motor for almost 3 seasons of flying now and it's still going strong
oly_rcer is offline Find More Posts by oly_rcer
Old Mar 04, 2012, 12:24 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimripper View Post
Ive found this tape called Hurricane tape,its really strong,and doesnt get brittle over time.
Looks like some good stuff, Rim.
I'll try it out once I get my hands on some. Looks like it's pretty widely available in hardware stores.
murdnunoc is offline Find More Posts by murdnunoc
Old Mar 05, 2012, 02:40 AM
Joined Dec 2011
347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oly_rcer View Post
another motor if you want cheap is the turnigy 480l v spec
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9383
i use this on 4s 3300 batts with a 7x5 cut to a 6.5x5.consistent 117 runs level flight,and have used the same motor for almost 3 seasons of flying now and it's still going strong
Whoa, nice catch there! I'll have to keep that motor in mind. Sounds like it's pretty dependable.