Old Feb 10, 2012, 04:58 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post
Murdo,
A visual feast of heavy C "best practice" construction techniques and then some!

I love your layout and the thought you've obviously invested into the layout and the interconnection between your structural elements. Have you installed struts at the wingtips to tie your trailing edge to your leading edge spar?

I reckon the reversed esc is a possible breakthrough in thinking and will allow you to place the battery more rearward than would be otherwise possible if you don't mind having to tape the battery connectors to the sides of the ICE 200 each flight. Doing it this way will give you short battery leads PLUS easy connectability. Sure there will be a slight aerodynamic tradeoff but that's tiny when compared to the other substantial benefits.

What's the kV for your 22/80/1.5RDE?

Nice work and don't underestimate the inspiration effect it has on the rest of us!
You're too kind, Peter
Some of the build stuff may be unproven, but it works out well enough in my head to give it a shot!

I don't have any CF tying together the LE spar and the trailing edge.
As I see it, a glued butt joint between two CF tubes is a hinge. If you tie any 4+ sided polygon together with hinges, it'll twist.
Triangles are cool, though! The joint between the mid spar and the LE spar IS part of a triangle. And with the LE spar being an extension of that triangle it brings rigidity to the wingtip area.
Plus the whole thing being covered in glass helps a lot, too
I don't even see a need for trailing edge CF when glassing the wing. Just an overlapping layer of glass where the top skin wraps around the TE to the bottom, and the bottom wraps over to the top.
Stiff as a boogie board.

An unforseentillnow advantage to the reversed and exposed ESC is that the battery connectors will be accessible even with the hatch buttoned down.
I'll be clipping a couple inches off the wires of both the battery and ESC, so total battery wire length will be around 5 inches. Not bad enough to pitch a fit, I think.

The 22/80/1.5RDE for my next build is still on order. I'm planning for the KV to come out around 1360kv for good 8S operation. May have to adjust my intended battery if it comes out different from that.
I wonder if Dan blinked at the big bold "**D**" in my order email
murdnunoc is offline Find More Posts by murdnunoc
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2012, 05:02 PM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdnunoc View Post
You're too kind, Peter
I wonder if Dan blinked at the big bold "**D**" in my order email
I wonder how much "blinking" we will all do (especially YOU) when we see how much power that "D" will consume, then throw out to your prop

Its basically 1/3 the resistance of any equivalent "Y" motor !!!
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
Old Feb 10, 2012, 05:06 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmyway View Post
I wonder how much "blinking" we will all do (especially YOU) when we see how much power that "D" will consume, then throw out to your prop

Its basically 1/3 the resistance of any equivalent "Y" motor !!!
:Warm fuzzy feeling:

So taking "Y" kv and multiplying by 1.7 would be a decent shot-in-the-dark for a kv estimate, right??
Old Feb 10, 2012, 05:22 PM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,377 Posts
The chart from NEU will give you a base for some deciphering maths
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx
Old Feb 10, 2012, 07:45 PM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,999 Posts
Quote:
:Warm fuzzy feeling:

So taking "Y" kv and multiplying by 1.7 would be a decent shot-in-the-dark for a kv estimate, right??
I believe its more like 1.73 to be more accurate.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 07:51 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Oh boy...
More KV on an already hot motor!!

Well at least if I have to drop down to large 7S instead of 8S, I'll be able to stay in the Standard ICE ESCs rather than going to HV ESCs, like I would if the motor came out lower KV and I had to go 9S.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 09:05 PM
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Joined Sep 2007
2,366 Posts
Quote:
.......I don't have any CF tying together the LE spar and the trailing edge.......
Murdo,
This is how I do it, just slot the ends of the front and trailing edge spars and then glue in a piece of cf rod to tie it all together.

At the rate your going you'll be finished next weekend!

Regards
Peter
Peter M is offline Find More Posts by Peter M
Old Feb 11, 2012, 10:04 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,636 Posts
My little 27" Mini Stryker met it's demize yesterday. I messed up the launch and while trying to recover I ended up plowing it in. Since it was made of blue foam, the damage was not recoverable. The electronics survived though...

Since I had a 525 watt setup in there, I moved it to my regular Stryker (which had a Turnigy 2835-2700 motor). And, I finally upgraded the control rods and clevises from the stock ones. I had those stock clevises for 7 years. Never had one break but it also never really saw more than 300 watts of power either. Didn't want to take the chance at 525 watts.

I took it out this morning. A lot more fun and lively than the Turnigy!

I know my setup is small potatoes compared what you guys have but it's still a lot of fun.
cjbucher is offline Find More Posts by cjbucher
Old Feb 11, 2012, 10:09 AM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbucher View Post
My little 27" Mini Stryker met it's demize yesterday. I messed up the launch and while trying to recover I ended up plowing it in. Since it was made of blue foam, the damage was not recoverable. The electronics survived though...

I know my setup is small potatoes compared what you guys have but it's still a lot of fun.
cj,
small or big potatoes, the idea is to have fun, which you did !!
Sorry for the loss, will you be making another ?
Old Feb 11, 2012, 10:14 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmyway View Post
cj,
small or big potatoes, the idea is to have fun, which you did !!
Sorry for the loss, will you be making another ?
Probably not right away. I have couple other ideas I wanted to try with blue foam before remaking the Mini Stryker (like a pylon type plane - sort of a bigger version of my Rifle that's easier to fly than the Rifle to give me more practice. The Rifle still scares the crap out of me every time I fly it ).
Old Feb 11, 2012, 11:24 PM
Joined Sep 2007
2,366 Posts
Shigella Maidened

Shigella finally took to the air and had two successful flights today.

Unfortunately the the memory card in my camera suffered some sort of seizure and only recorded 45 seconds of me rustling through the long grass and about 3 seconds of motor run off the bungee.

Trent Collins flew it and was impressed with the speed and reckons that "it flys just like trainer." I'm not sure whether I believe him on this last point but he made it obvious that he's keen to fly it again.

I ran a 6 cell 5000 and the esc temperature never exceeded 120F and the motor was surprisingly cool with the APC 8x8.

So next flight:
  • Clear blue sky with no clouds to assist visibility - just like they have in Texas!
  • New camera memory card
  • 7 cell 4000's
  • Start with a 8x7 and check motor temperatures
  • 8x8

Level and unloaded gave:
22 volts or 3.67volts per cell at around 17% discharge
175 amps
3838 watts
27,780 rpm or a pitch speed of approximately 210mph (338kph)

Whilst I was disappointed with the camera failure, it was a great morning!

Thanks go to Trent and Steve (heliclown) plus obviously Mopar, Gryphon & Murdo for introducing me to this maddness!
Last edited by Peter M; Feb 13, 2012 at 02:23 AM.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 02:07 AM
Australia, NSW, Hillsborough
Joined Feb 2008
92 Posts
Gee, bad luck Pete, on the recording. I was SURE you had the TEXAS trophy in the bag.!!!!!
WE WILL BE BACK !
heliclown is offline Find More Posts by heliclown
Old Feb 12, 2012, 02:51 AM
Joined Sep 2007
2,366 Posts
LOL! I like your enthusiasm Steve!

I think we need a bit more pitch speed and longer runs before we can give Murdo a reason to give us a second thought............
Last edited by Peter M; Feb 12, 2012 at 05:24 AM. Reason: left a word out
Old Feb 12, 2012, 07:59 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,636 Posts
Peter, what's hiding under the cloth on your flying wing? You have the motor covered up.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 10:26 AM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post
I think we need a bit more pitch speed and longer runs before we can give Murdo a reason to give us a second thought............
Congrats on the maiden !!!
Hold the phones ....................
I think you have him tied right now, or pretty close !
You intend on adding another cell !!
You should come close to ..................
HOLD ON !!!............. HOLY CARP !!! 94% of no load kv @ 175 amps ???????
............... as I was saying, you should come close 31,000 rpm with the 7th cell

HOLY CARP !!! ......... 31 K on an 8x8 sport ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I have pushed 36mm MEGA motor 1 turns into the 300 amp range