HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 21, 2011, 03:50 PM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,391 Posts
Well, you have the average Joe Stykerflyer:
Proper Stryker Launching Technique (1 min 0 sec)

...and then you have Mopar:
Hand launching a 5 pound Stryker with crazy power (3 min 40 sec)

Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx
Last edited by Arcteryxxx; Dec 21, 2011 at 03:57 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 21, 2011, 04:04 PM
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Joined Sep 2007
2,365 Posts
That still amazes me how he does that!
Peter M is offline Find More Posts by Peter M
Old Dec 21, 2011, 04:41 PM
US ARMY retired
United States, TN, Greeneville
Joined Jun 2008
349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcteryxxx View Post
Well, you have the average Joe Stykerflyer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0PEc...eature=related

...and then you have Mopar:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM_w-3ziZ2U

OMG this guy has a SIK stryker, i just watched his vids on youtube INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!
decuzar is online now Find More Posts by decuzar
Old Dec 21, 2011, 04:44 PM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
5,000 Posts
Thanks guys, but it aint me, its a combination of anti-gravity epoxy made from moon based organic solids and a MEGA motor !!

By the way, thats an 8 inch prop.
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
Old Dec 21, 2011, 05:01 PM
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by decuzar View Post
OMG this guy has a SIK stryker, INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!
That should be corrected to plural....

And yes: the video is worth watching over and over again

Mopar: good on you!
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:20 AM
NY State
Joined Jan 2007
2,833 Posts
I think you almost have to try to get hit by the prop, I wouldn't worry about that at all.
JWilliams2 is offline Find More Posts by JWilliams2
Old Dec 23, 2011, 10:14 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,643 Posts
You'd think pusher based planes would be more dangerous to launch. But in 11 years I've never hit my fingers on the prop launching a pusher plane. But... this last Thanksgiving, while getting a tractor based delta plane ready for launch I accidentally bumped the throttle to about 1/3 and the prop got my wrist. I was shocked at how much it cut into my wrist for just a 200 watt plane! It cut a 1" gash into my wrist and partially cut one tendon. I had 4 stitches from it.

It's healing up nicely but I still have trouble lifting heavy things.
cjbucher is offline Find More Posts by cjbucher
Old Dec 23, 2011, 10:39 AM
Too much is just not enough...
Joined Jan 2009
1,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbucher View Post
You'd think pusher based planes would be more dangerous to launch. But in 11 years I've never hit my fingers on the prop launching a pusher plane. But... this last Thanksgiving, while getting a tractor based delta plane ready for launch I accidentally bumped the throttle to about 1/3 and the prop got my wrist. I was shocked at how much it cut into my wrist for just a 200 watt plane! It cut a 1" gash into my wrist and partially cut one tendon. I had 4 stitches from it.

It's healing up nicely but I still have trouble lifting heavy things.
It would seem that all radios should have a throttle hold in acro mode, like is available for many in heli mode.

If you have a DX7 or higher Spektrum, a mix can be setup to enable throttle hold on a switch. I've set that up, even on my micros.

Can't say about other brands if they can be setup to have throttle hold, but it sure would make sense to have a hold available for all model types.

Here's the mix I have setup that works for me on DX7 and DX8. (can't figure it out on a DX6i)
The SW is your choice. I use mix, since that is the same switch for throttle hold in heli mode.

Program mix 1
Thro>Thro Off
Rate: -100%
-100%
SW: Mix
Offset:-100
Woody_99 is offline Find More Posts by Woody_99
Last edited by Woody_99; Dec 23, 2011 at 04:31 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 02:16 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,643 Posts
Nice tip.

I have 2 transmitters: a DX6i which all my planes use and one old 72 mhz one which is what the delta uses which is the one that bit me.

I'll mess around with the DX6i and see if I can figure out a mix to do a throttle hold.
cjbucher is offline Find More Posts by cjbucher
Old Dec 23, 2011, 02:18 PM
Too much is just not enough...
Joined Jan 2009
1,090 Posts
Problem with the 6i, as I know it, is that there isn't an offset function which is what enables it to work on the other transmitters.
Might be able to do something with mixes on two switches? Didn't try that.
Woody_99 is offline Find More Posts by Woody_99
Old Dec 23, 2011, 03:36 PM
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,391 Posts
DX6i is a rather crude radio. It served me well and I loved it (flying mainly Strykers). When I all of a sudden needed some extra CHs and upgraded to DX8 I found that the DX6i has some major limitations to it. Eg. the throws and LAR/RAR differential when using the native elevon mix.
The SPEKTRUM vs "anything else" is being discussed thoroughly in another section so I won't comment on that, but as far as Spektrum TXs go - upgrade if you have a DX6i. DX7S seems like a reasonable enhancement if DX8 is beyond budget. If you haven't got yourself a present for X-mas... Well....

PS: I'm keeping my 6i and a buddy-chord as my 7year old son is training on a 60" Cessna
Old Dec 23, 2011, 03:39 PM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
5,000 Posts
With Castle Creations ICE controllers, just plug in the battery with full throttle. This will erase all memory and enable a type of throttle hold. Phoenix controllers will go into a throttle hold as well, but there is no memory to clear. The throttle MUST be brought down to zero for the ESC to arm, then once armed, the throttle will work.

Before the throttle is brought down to zero, you can bump, vary, or keep full throttle without the motor spinning.

I believe E-Flite controllers also require zero throttle to arm, so you could also plug them in at full throttle without the prop spinning
Old Dec 23, 2011, 03:43 PM
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,391 Posts
Mopar: I was not aware of that! Thanks. Helps me in many ways.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 03:47 PM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
5,000 Posts
Sure Dude !!
I hope I get something to buddy up to my DX7 with. My 9 and 6 year olds are getting antsy and my 4 year old cant wait for 5 ................ they want to fly !!! Its hard to keep them in front of me, hold the trans, let them fly, and grab the sticks when they get into trouble, they are getting too big !!
Old Dec 23, 2011, 04:15 PM
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,391 Posts
Mopar: time to upgrade and let the kids have the ol'7...
There'll be two F27Cs under the tree tomorrow - One each for the boys. Bare fuses that will be built for them to their individual taste and liking. They won't be able to fly them in some years, but the building process will be a great arena for mutual pleasure. Looking forward to it! (Btw: got other stuff under the tree as well for them, but trying to inspire...)