HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 25, 2011, 10:54 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenstr View Post
Hi all - new Stryker flyer here, picked up a used C model from a co worker who bought the new Q. I got one flight on it and then I noticed it not responding to the radio any more after I lost orientation and it nosed into the ground. It didn't hit too hard, and I also noticed that when I was setting it up with my radio (futaba 9c super) there was a couple of times it would not respond, then it seemed fine.

I'm new at this, so I'm wondering how I check and see if it's the ESC that's the problem or something else?

If it is the ESC, what should I look for in a replacement?, I am placing an order with HK soon, or perhaps Hobbypartz if they have a suitable ESC, as it'll get here sooner.

thanks
If that is a stock Stryker C with a 72mhz receiver - you might want to check the crystal in your receiver.

If it is your ESC - HobbyPartz - the Hobbywing Pro/Platinum or Volcano Series, or if you buy from HobbyKing - Turnigy Plush
cjbucher is offline Find More Posts by cjbucher
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2011, 11:28 AM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbucher View Post
If that is a stock Stryker C with a 72mhz receiver - you might want to check the crystal in your receiver.

If it is your ESC - HobbyPartz - the Hobbywing Pro/Platinum or Volcano Series, or if you buy from HobbyKing - Turnigy Plush
thanks - The plane is stock, the guy I got it from used it with a DX7, I put my futaba R148DF that came with the futaba radio when i bought it (the guy I bought it from said the rx was new and he never used it). I have spare 6 and 8 channel corona receivers I could try, as well as another Futaba T4exa radio with a Futaba R168df receiver with it. Someone recommended I use the futaba rx rather than corona for the stryker because they are more responsive.

For the ESC, what amp capacity should I be looking at?

ps. I have a 32a brushless "Power Up" ESC I bought for my Super Cub brushless upgrade, if that is adequate I could also use it while I wait..
Glenstr is offline Find More Posts by Glenstr
Last edited by Glenstr; Aug 25, 2011 at 11:53 AM. Reason: added ps.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 12:28 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,621 Posts
I believe the Stock Stryker C uses a 30 amp ESC so that 32a ESC you have should be fine.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 12:29 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,621 Posts
However if you are looking to buy a new one - maybe get a 40 amp one and then you'll have some room to grow when you start looking at some upgrades.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 12:36 PM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbucher View Post
However if you are looking to buy a new one - maybe get a 40 amp one and then you'll have some room to grow when you start looking at some upgrades.
Thanks - that's what I was thinking - I am thinking about this one or this one and maybe grab a 2200 gens-ace or nano-tech battery from the respective websites while I'm at it. This plane is plenty fast for my skills as it is, but never hurts to have a little extra capacity in case I do decide to soup it up a bit..
Old Aug 25, 2011, 08:54 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,621 Posts
I have the 40 amp Turnigy in my Stryker. Even though it says Linear BEC on the web site, it really does come with a Switching BEC (which is better since it will let you run with more than 3 cells). I think that under the covers these two ESC's are pretty much the same (from what I heard they are made by the same company and just rebranded under several labels).

Battery wise - I'd recommend the Gens Ace. I bought two 2200 Nano-techs in March and they've both gone bad on me. I replaced them with 2200 Gens Ace ones and they are doing much better.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 08:26 AM
...just an earth bound misfit
Joined Mar 2010
660 Posts
CJ, You sure? The HobbyKing Turnigy Plush was supposedly a rebranded HobbyWing Pentium ESC, which doesn't have a switching BEC.

HK does sell a rebranded HW Platinum ESC (with a switching BEC) but they call it the Turnigy K-Force.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8922
Dirt-Torpedo is offline Find More Posts by Dirt-Torpedo
Old Aug 26, 2011, 09:31 AM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt-Torpedo View Post
CJ, You sure? The HobbyKing Turnigy Plush was supposedly a rebranded HobbyWing Pentium ESC, which doesn't have a switching BEC.

HK does sell a rebranded HW Platinum ESC (with a switching BEC) but they call it the Turnigy K-Force.
On an unrelated note, knowing very little about ESC's and BEC's - will an ESC with a switching BEC like the one in the link allow me to run a 4s battery without a stand alone BEC? On my big AP bird I have a Pulso 2820-14 motor that can take a 4s battery, but I was under the understanding that to run a 4s battery on it I would need a stand alone BEC. On that plane I am currently running this ESC, and I bought this UBEC in case I ever want to run a 4s and/or have a separate battery power my control surfaces.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 09:32 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt-Torpedo View Post

All I know is the Turnigy Plush 40 amp ESC I bought last year does indeed have a switching BEC. The docs that came in the package says it does and it has the little donut ring on the signal wire. I think the label on the ESC also said it did.

I remember when I bought it, I also bought a separate BEC thinking I would need it but when I got it I saw it had the built in switching BEC and ended up not using the separate one... I even found a few threads in the Power forum that also confirmed my findings. That was a year ago so who knows what's going on now...
Old Aug 26, 2011, 12:44 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,848 Posts
Guys,

The BEC circuit on ESC is just a small chip.

UBEC is much much bigger than a chip. I think it would be much more reliable.

***Also what happens if the ESC burns??? With UBEC you can land your bird in one piece.

--------

Note, with UBEC you need to disable the center "red" wire on the ESC lead which plugs into the throttle ch.
This disables the ESC's internal BEC.

Some people cut the center red wire
Or
You can do the same to short servo wire extension...
Or
Pull the red wire out of connector on extension or ESC lead.
Or
Install OPTO isolator ( I do this)

Gryphon
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
Old Aug 26, 2011, 11:09 PM
dallas tx
Joined Jun 2003
2,905 Posts
Guy's, when I fly my stryker at half throttle it does well. Go full power and it rolls right....Ive got 3 carbon rod's in already. Is this wing flex???
capt soap is online now Find More Posts by capt soap
Old Aug 27, 2011, 07:24 AM
Victim of C.D.O.
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Capt soap,
Is your prop a standard one or a pusher prop?

It's common for a plane to roll some between partial throttle and full power due to the torque of the motor. A standard prop will make the plane roll LEFT, and a pusher prop makes it roll right.

If you have a standard prop (rotates clockwise from the rear) and the plane is rolling to the right, then you have an airframe twist problem. Maybe not so much a flex issue as a warp in the wing(s).
murdnunoc is offline Find More Posts by murdnunoc
Old Aug 27, 2011, 10:37 AM
what ya mean i have to land?
DesMoines,Wa
Joined Feb 2008
1,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdnunoc View Post
Capt soap,
Is your prop a standard one or a pusher prop?

It's common for a plane to roll some between partial throttle and full power due to the torque of the motor. A standard prop will make the plane roll LEFT, and a pusher prop makes it roll right.

If you have a standard prop (rotates clockwise from the rear) and the plane is rolling to the right, then you have an airframe twist problem. Maybe not so much a flex issue as a warp in the wing(s).
agreed,i thought i had a torque prob but the plane was rolling right.checked real close and saw when i installed the carbon i got one wing slightly off towards the back,fixed it and then the plane went slightly left like it's suppose to
oly_rcer is offline Find More Posts by oly_rcer
Old Aug 27, 2011, 02:25 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GryphonRCU View Post
Guys,

The BEC circuit on ESC is just a small chip.

UBEC is much much bigger than a chip. I think it would be much more reliable.

***Also what happens if the ESC burns??? With UBEC you can land your bird in one piece.

--------

Note, with UBEC you need to disable the center "red" wire on the ESC lead which plugs into the throttle ch.
This disables the ESC's internal BEC.

Some people cut the center red wire
Or
You can do the same to short servo wire extension...
Or
Pull the red wire out of connector on extension or ESC lead.
Or
Install OPTO isolator ( I do this)

Gryphon
I have had two ESC's burn and take the UBEC's with them.

Ever since then, I go with receiver packs (LiFe/Lipo)

Even in my little Funjet fuse I have a 2S 360mah

I have decided anything over 3S gets external power

I guess it depends on everyone's personal experience. Until it happens twice, it's easy to not worry about it.

I get alot of crap for it, but I haven't lost a plane in a year, and I fly ALOT!!! ........other than one of my pylons I lost in the sun a few months ago, but that was my fault.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Aug 27, 2011, 02:46 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,848 Posts
I guess anything is possible. That has probably happened to others on occasion.

So far I only heard of one case where the ESC got damaged in flight but it's internal BEC kept working and the guy was able to land.

Many reports of people being able to land using UBEC after their ESC gave up.

Johnny, there are also many many reports of people crashing because they forgot to charge the flight pack (not main pack for motor).

I agree with you that it comes down to people's preference and experience.

But as far as without a 2nd pack: Running a UBEC is better and safer than just relying on internal BEC of ESC.

Gryphon
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU