HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 15, 2011, 02:43 AM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,870 Posts
Guys,

Post #13704 needs a look over regarding "E" option or no "E" option now that 8S battery specs are posted.

2 x 4s 3000 40C turnigy

These packs will likely hold higher voltage.

If 7X8 gets knocked out of play on 2.5SC, that may still leaves the 7X7....which is fine.

A) Do you think motor in Murdo's test produced good RPM for its watts.
(a bit lower Watts than 1.5turn on 5S and 2CE on 6S).
Running 7x7: Which motor had similar power to 2CE on 6S but while on 5S...1.5SEC or 1.5SC?

B) Given higher pack capability do you think 7X7 can get by on 2.5SC......or should he get the "E" option and if 7X7 with E rotor does not max motor, to possibly still have 7X8 option.

Jonesy,

If 7X7 Sport needs to be run for a bit longer full throttle duration than our usual 8 second passes, the 2.5SEC is the choice......I should say that if so, I would not skip out on E option because it can lower A, W, RPM slightly to allow longer duration with 7X7 than otherwise.

Gryphon
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
Last edited by GryphonRCU; Jul 15, 2011 at 02:49 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2011, 03:36 AM
Must not buy more planes!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post
Noooooooooo!!!!!!

Don't do that! Things can't be that grim!

Mr Clarkson,
These are too much fun to give up on too easily. Why don't you post pictures of each "problem" as you come across them and I'm sure someone will have a sensible and easy solution for you?
It's been a litany. I loved my Stryker when I first got it.
  • After about 12-15 flights, one of the servos became 'weak,' so rolls turned into corkscrews.
  • Replaced the servos but the motor immediately began to spontaneously lose power. Resulted in a bad crash. Diagnosed as probable bad bearings.
  • Replaced fuse and fins.
  • Got a Venom V40 3K motor. On the first test run-up, the stock Stryker prop exploded, blowing chunks out of the V-stabs. Scared me less.
  • Decided to get a recommended set-up from HeadsUp. Jeff recommended the Jet 450 as a bolt-in replacement. Bought it.
  • It won't fit the stock mount. The mounting holes are not symmetrical and don't match with the holes in the mount. The wires make fitting it into the mount problematic.

So ... I had fun for a dozen or so flights. Then replaced the servos. The fuse. The v-stabs. The motor and ESC. The motor again. Now a new, expensive motor mount has been recommended. I'm just getting tired of buying new, expensive parts for a plane that I never actually get to fly. At this point, I've already replaced every single component, with the exception of the Rx, at least once and I still don't have a airplane.

It is sorely vexing.
mclarkson is offline Find More Posts by mclarkson
Old Jul 15, 2011, 04:00 AM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
  • After about 12-15 flights, one of the servos became 'weak,' so rolls turned into corkscrews.
  • Replaced the servos but the motor immediately began to spontaneously lose power. Resulted in a bad crash. Diagnosed as probable bad bearings.
  • Got a Venom V40 3K motor. On the first test run-up, the stock Stryker prop exploded, blowing chunks out of the V-stabs. Scared me less.
  • Decided to get a recommended set-up from HeadsUp. Jeff recommended the Jet 450 as a bolt-in replacement. Bought it.
  • It won't fit the stock mount. The mounting holes are not symmetrical and don't match with the holes in the mount. The wires make fitting it into the mount problematic.

So ... I had fun for a dozen or so flights. Then replaced the servos. The fuse. The v-stabs. The motor and ESC. The motor again. Now a new, expensive motor mount has been recommended. I'm just getting tired of buying new, expensive parts for a plane that I never actually get to fly. At this point, I've already replaced every single component, with the exception of the Rx, at least once and I still don't have a airplane.

It is sorely vexing.
I hear you! The first phaze of my Stryker career was like that, right until I stopped experimenting on my own and started to pay attention to what others suggested and learn from Stryker dudes in this thread. If you're ever in doubt - just ask....
Regarding that mount, it's the best investment you can do.

Good luck and keep the flamables safe;-)
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx
Old Jul 15, 2011, 04:17 AM
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Joined Sep 2007
2,365 Posts
Quote:
It's been a litany. I loved my Stryker when I first got it...........It won't fit the stock mount. The mounting holes are not symmetrical and don't match with the holes in the mount. The wires make fitting it into the mount problematic.....It is sorely vexing.
OK! Sounds like you need to get it flying without spending any more cash on it!

Suggest you slot the two mounting holes in the plastic mount that don't match so that it can accept the four mounting screws. The secret with the stock plastic mounts is not to overtighten the screws.

If the motor "bell" rubs on the inside of the plastic mount you can gain the required clearance with 5 minutes of sanding.

Poking the wires through will be a tight fit but if you need to make some extra clearance to do so with your Dremel, so be it.

I tried to upload a picture of an outrunner mounted in a standard plastic mount to give you an idea of the orientation of the motor wires but my slow Fijian resort internet connection wouldn't allow me. Yes, it is a hard life.....

Cheers
Peter

PS: But still promise me that when you return from your fun day of flying you order a CustomRC mount as using the original eventually ends in tears!
Peter M is offline Find More Posts by Peter M
Old Jul 15, 2011, 05:35 AM
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Joined Sep 2007
2,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GryphonRCU View Post
[SIZE="3"]Guys,

Post #13704 needs a look over regarding "E" option or no "E" option now that 8S battery specs are posted.

B) Given higher pack capability do you think 7X7 can get by on 2.5SC......or
Gryphon
Gryphon,
I would suggest the non "E" version, ie the 16/40/2.5C would work with 8 cells and a 7x7, with a little self restraint, even given that Ben will see greater voltages underload. However, I would start with a 7x5 and work my way up higher pitches.

However, if it was my money, I would buy a 16/40/2EC and run it on Ben's current 6 cell batteries just like Murdo's mate's. I suggest this as I think there are a wider range of possible other model applications for a 2EC compared to a 2.5C and to simplify battery changes between flights. I know these are small things but they add up.

Maybe a small 22 series motor would be a better prospect rather than pushing a 16/40 to within an inch of its life?

Regards
Peter
Peter M is offline Find More Posts by Peter M
Old Jul 15, 2011, 11:03 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,643 Posts
Quote:

It is sorely vexing.
Did the Venom motor get killed when the prop exploded? If not, I'd recommend buying an APC 6x4 sport prop for it. Make sure the prop is well balanced. A severely out of balance prop will explode.

The stock Stryker props aren't as strong so that probably wasn't the best choice for a power upgrade anyway...
cjbucher is online now Find More Posts by cjbucher
Old Jul 15, 2011, 06:15 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,870 Posts
mclarkson,

I agree with CJ....that prop blowing up is totally on you.

Don't sweat it, it is part of learning curve.

As mentioned in one of the last posts: Just ask for help from others.

At this point, looks like you have learned everything you might need and are VERY close to getting back up in the air.

Don't give up....even if you have 1 more unexpected learning experience which might leave a bad taste.

You have come too far to give up now.

Lucky that some of us have learned the hard lessons on earlier F27's with brushed motor and when servos or other factory items gave up, we crashed at slower speeds and had easier fixes.
We tried to pass on the knowledge to who we could.
Not everyone posts on RCUniverse or RCGroup....or asks in advance.
I do know what you mean about having some expectations from a NIB purchase. Welcome to some of life's realities.

You will be happy when you fly your Stryker everyday.
It is a very fun plane....specially in the wind....specially when/if you have another Stryker to try and crash into on purpose while laughing your butt off (you and the other guy).

Be persistent!!!

Gryphon
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
Old Jul 15, 2011, 08:03 PM
Salem In
Joined Dec 2010
60 Posts
They are very correct. The F27B was my first RC experience. I have had just about every Stryker disaster you could think of. I still fly them, one of my favorites. I enjoy reading the mega threads although I am not even in same league as these guys.
I just got a new body today......and this one is going to be done right.
They are a blast and worth the headache.
Pro's ....cheap replacement air frame. Get good servos and good esc and you are golden. I have been using the same servos Hi-tech HS 81's and esc since 2006.
Been thru many air frame's.
Tark50 is offline Find More Posts by Tark50
Old Jul 15, 2011, 08:50 PM
Alberta,Canada
Joined Nov 2009
2,484 Posts
Yea,don't give up!!roll with the bumps and brusises,like others said it gets easier.
rimripper is offline Find More Posts by rimripper
Old Jul 15, 2011, 11:47 PM
Must not buy more planes!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,396 Posts
Alright, guys. I'll give it another try or two. I've got a dozen or so planes, but this one just seems cursed!
mclarkson is offline Find More Posts by mclarkson
Old Jul 16, 2011, 05:49 PM
United States, GA, Newnan
Joined Aug 2010
1,129 Posts
Expert Help Pls!! AMPS Question!

Guys, the stock motor on my C finally gave up the ghost, and so I picked up a lightly used EF Six-Series 2700kw:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=EFLM2005

Drops right in; slight motor mount hole mod. So anyway, ain't flown yet, but boy howdy does this motor sound strong on the bench (apc 6x4)!

So my question is the stock 30A esc...aint gonna be enough, is it? HH specs call for a 35-45A. I have a 50A in my FJ I can use til I get a new one.

So how about this 40A one from HP:http://www.hobbypartz.com/60p-dye-1004-40a-esc.html (gotta get some batts anyway)

Anybody flying this 2700kw motor??? Is this HP 40A esc any good, and will it be enough?

Thx for the help, fellas! cheers, Jeff
poiyt is offline Find More Posts by poiyt
Last edited by poiyt; Jul 16, 2011 at 06:44 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 07:15 PM
Salem In
Joined Dec 2010
60 Posts
Well I am flying a 2700KV not the E-flight one. Drawing 48 amps 770 watts with a 6X4 on 4S.
On 3S it draws 37 amps with a 6x4.
Using a old aero-nuts 60 amp esc. I would get a 60 amp if it were me.
Tark50 is offline Find More Posts by Tark50
Old Jul 16, 2011, 07:32 PM
what ya mean i have to land?
DesMoines,Wa
Joined Feb 2008
1,400 Posts
60a minimum,if you plan to go faster save some time and just get an 80-100 now,then bigger when you need it
oly_rcer is offline Find More Posts by oly_rcer
Old Jul 16, 2011, 07:39 PM
what ya mean i have to land?
DesMoines,Wa
Joined Feb 2008
1,400 Posts
this is something i have been looking at,really caught my interest.it's a 1bladed prop.seems it's way more efficent that a 2 blade and produces more speed with less draw.
http://www.wattsup.se/
click the link on 1blade bullet-334kmh.
am talking to the guy now in another forum to see if he thinks this would work in a pusher like the stryker,might be a cool factor that actually works
oly_rcer is offline Find More Posts by oly_rcer
Old Jul 16, 2011, 07:39 PM
United States, GA, Newnan
Joined Aug 2010
1,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tark50 View Post
Well I am flying a 2700KV not the E-flight one. Drawing 48 amps 770 watts with a 6X4 on 4S.
On 3S it draws 37 amps with a 6x4.
Using a old aero-nuts 60 amp esc. I would get a 60 amp if it were me.

60A???? DOUBLE the amps of the stock esc?? Wow...woulda never thunk it...

It aint the $$, since there's not enough difference between Low A & Higher A...it's the Size & Weight!! Going from say a 40A to a %)A, they're MUCH bigger & heavier...aint a lot of room under the hood!! And I hate weight like the plague

Tark- if you're drawing 37A on a 3S/6x4 (which is what I'll run), then wouldn't I be ok w/ a 50A? I do a lot of short WOT bursts, a lotta inverted at 1/2 throttle, and the rest glide/ throttle off.
poiyt is offline Find More Posts by poiyt