SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 12, 2006, 11:05 PM
Live, Die, FLY
Kalispell, in the Rocky Mountains
Joined Jul 2006
497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip63
Although this is marketed at the beginner, so it's probably a good starter for ppl venturing into brushless territory.
I have a couple of BL helis but this is my first BL plane. I'm enjoying all the ideas to push this to the limit. Has anyone seen the vids of the guy that put rockets on his F27?[/QUOTE]

I have to see this, Link us please!!!

-Dustin
That can fly?!? is offline Find More Posts by That can fly?!?
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2006, 06:27 PM
Phoenix, Arizona
Joined Jan 2005
665 Posts
here you go. There are 2 parts. If you scroll down you will see pt.2
Rocket Powered F-27 Stryker Pt-1 (0 min 53 sec)

They are having too much fun from the sounds of their laughs.
skip63 is offline Find More Posts by skip63
Old Sep 16, 2006, 02:43 PM
Joined Mar 2006
2 Posts
I bent the motor shaft a little and now the vibration of it being unbalanced blew two props apart while flying and completely destroyed the motor mount. Is there any way to straighten it out again? I would hate to have to buy another whole new brushless motor.
Blackvaldris is offline Find More Posts by Blackvaldris
Old Sep 16, 2006, 03:00 PM
Live, Die, FLY
Joined Jul 2006
497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackvaldris
I bent the motor shaft a little and now the vibration of it being unbalanced blew two props apart while flying and completely destroyed the motor mount. Is there any way to straighten it out again? I would hate to have to buy another whole new brushless motor.
try taping it with a hammer, if that dosent work Im out of ideas
Old Sep 17, 2006, 08:50 PM
Live, Die, FLY
Joined Jul 2006
497 Posts
Dose anybody think it is posible to build custon elevons to give it 3d performance?
Old Sep 17, 2006, 10:25 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackvaldris
Is there any way to straighten it out again? I would hate to have to buy another whole new brushless motor.
Get a 12 -24" piece of tubing - the brass or aluminum tubing at the hardware store or LHS - that will just push on to the motor shaft. Now when you rotate the motor the tubing will exaggerate the amount the shaft is bent and you can see which direction to "tap" it lightly with a heavy hammer or piece of metal. The trick is to use an object that has lots of mass so you don't have to hit it very hard. Take small taps with the motor clamped to bring the shaft back in line.

If you end up snapping the shaft, and the Mega shafts are hard and brittle and will snap ( ), you can send the motor back to Mega Motors USA and for $40 they will replace the shaft. They send it back to CZ so it takes about 4 - 6 weeks, but it comes back as good as new. Medusa will do the same - other brands and you may be out of luck. With some motors you can use CA de-bonder and unglue the shaft enough so it can be pushed out of the magnets. Then you have to find some drill rod and make a new shaft, push it back in and reglue with green Loc-tite. It's better to not break them in the first place - tap gently

Quote:
Does anybody think it is possible to build custom elevons to give it 3d performance?
I made an over sized set of elevons out of hard aileron balsa stock and while they give much more control - it would spin like a top - they give TOO MUCH control for normal flying. Also it is very hard to hover with a pusher configuration - the plane is just too unstable with the force being applied from the bottom. A 3D plane "hangs" on the prop and is much more stable in a hover.

FC
FoamCrusher is offline Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Old Sep 17, 2006, 10:29 PM
Live, Die, FLY
Joined Jul 2006
497 Posts
I can hover my stryker in a slight breez, so fun!
Old Sep 17, 2006, 11:16 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by That can fly?!?
I can hover my stryker in a slight breez, so fun!
What you are doing is called "high alpha" meaning the plane is flying at a high angle of attack, but it is not a true hover. In a hover, the plane hangs from the prop like a helicopter and with use of the ailerons you can get it to rotate about its longitudinal axis in either direction.

The Stryker will high alpha even better when inverted because the fins are now below the CG point.

What is also a neat move to do with the Stryker on a windy day is to make sure your CG is set to almost neutral and head upright into the wind, gradually backing off the throttle and increasing the up elevon. As the plane gets to under about 3 mph, kill the motor and go quickly to full up elevon (high rates) and hold it. The plane will stall, lose its forward motion and fall flat without spinning or falling off to either side - it just drops straight down like a Jump Jet landing, although you have no control over the speed or direction - gravity takes over and it just falls out of the sky. Again, the CG has to be very close to neutral for this to work. It is a nice safe way to land on a very windy day.

FC
FoamCrusher is offline Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Old Sep 17, 2006, 11:46 PM
Live, Die, FLY
Joined Jul 2006
497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoamCrusher
What you are doing is called "high alpha" meaning the plane is flying at a high angle of attack, but it is not a true hover. In a hover, the plane hangs from the prop like a helicopter and with use of the ailerons you can get it to rotate about its longitudinal axis in either direction.

The Stryker will high alpha even better when inverted because the fins are now below the CG point.

What is also a neat move to do with the Stryker on a windy day is to make sure your CG is set to almost neutral and head upright into the wind, gradually backing off the throttle and increasing the up elevon. As the plane gets to under about 3 mph, kill the motor and go quickly to full up elevon (high rates) and hold it. The plane will stall, lose its forward motion and fall flat without spinning or falling off to either side - it just drops straight down like a Jump Jet landing, although you have no control over the speed or direction - gravity takes over and it just falls out of the sky. Again, the CG has to be very close to neutral for this to work. It is a nice safe way to land on a very windy day.

FC
One trick I like to do if fly inverted, and pull the nose up, it will stall and the nose will go straight down and gently glide to the ground with full up elevrons, or you can power your way out
Old Sep 18, 2006, 01:40 AM
Mexico, BC, Mexicali
Joined Aug 2004
5,195 Posts
My stryker.
manuel v is online now Find More Posts by manuel v
Last edited by manuel v; Sep 23, 2006 at 12:20 AM.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 07:29 AM
Live, Die, FLY
Joined Jul 2006
497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by manuel v
My stryker.
Love the paint job
Old Sep 18, 2006, 02:31 PM
Just here to fly stuff
Everywhere
Joined Dec 2005
421 Posts
Quick question for everyone:
I have a 6X5.5 Prop, can I replace the stock 6X4 prop and not fry my plane. Of course I would not fly it full throttle the entire time. But, this could make high speed passes across the field more fun.
Will the stock speed control handle this?
LeadSled is offline Find More Posts by LeadSled
Old Sep 18, 2006, 02:53 PM
anaheim, ca
Joined Apr 2005
2,542 Posts
"can I replace the stock 6X4 prop and not fry my plane."

this for the C model? if so, you should be able to. to tell you the truth, i can't find a better prop than the apc 6x4e.

actually, i did try a 6x5.5 last week on my mega 16/15/4 vs my friend's C model. his was faster but i also think my battery didn't have a full charge (being the first flight of the day and all... i was rushing to get in the air). our last flight of the day was pretty close but i had switched back to the 6x4 by then. we would have tried again but he nailed the ground pretty hard and i broke my second motor mount for the day. he's got the C model's mount so he must have hit pretty hard to snap it. my lesson for the day was that soccer goals don't duck when you're going to hit them. if not for the bright orange duct tape my wing would have surely been snapped off.

err... yeah, i think your motor and esc can handle it if you're using the C model:
http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...rodID=EFLA1025

25amps....
lowdive is offline Find More Posts by lowdive
Old Sep 18, 2006, 06:55 PM
Live, Die, FLY
Joined Jul 2006
497 Posts
Boom

Well my tenth flight had my first major crash. I was just cruzing aound, did some no power rolls, a few stalls and was setting up for a low altitude high speed pass. As I was flying about 5ft above the trees, I hit full power. A second later a updraft from the hill the trees were on caught the plane by the tip of the wing rolling it over, the tip of the fin barely nicked a branch befor sending it cart wheeling across the trees, I tryed to get the plane as far away from the tops as posible befor it finaly nessled itself into a small tree. It was up there about 30ft... compared to 40ft. Well like I said it was a small tree (as in skinny) and for a 15 year old I was quite big (185lbs). Luckly I was flying on full battery so I had some time. Lesson learned, never climb a tree with no way to get yourself or the plane down... Well I did, anyway the Stryker lost the tip of one wing, and had serveal scrapes, and marks thoughout the whole thing. It was all cosmetic, so then I adjusted my trims a bit, and tosed her into the air again. Now that the stock paint job has taken one to many scuffs, I am thinking about my own paint job
Old Sep 19, 2006, 10:55 PM
Phoenix, Arizona
Joined Jan 2005
665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by That can fly?!?
Well my tenth flight had my first major crash.
Thats wild because on my 10th flight I managed to nose it in at 1/2 speed and removed the motor/attachment assembly. It actually came unplugged from the ESC.
Thats what I get for trying an upsidedown fly by at a too steep of a angle of attack.
I have anothe plug in the garage. But that hurts.
skip63 is offline Find More Posts by skip63