HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:54 PM
Static Model Collector LOL
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
Well it’s good to see that PZ & Horizon were listening, and made some improvements, the ones who are gonna benefit most from this new design are the newbie’s, those that don’t like to mod, and those who are just looking for a weekend flyer.

If I pick up a Q version, I will just fly it stock.

FCA

BTW – I for one also think no need for another Stryker Thread, this one already contains so much valuable information, on how to, and proven power systems.

IMHO the Q owners can benefit from all the info contained in this thread, Trust me all the info about stryker’s is contained right here.

Another dedicated Q thread would just bog down the system, and cause duplicate questions being posted,
It’s happened on the FJ Thread
FLAME747 is offline Find More Posts by FLAME747
Last edited by FLAME747; Mar 31, 2011 at 11:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2011, 02:02 AM
helter skelter
Central Ohio
Joined Nov 2007
1,462 Posts
My throwing arm must have been weak the other day. I botched two hand launches in a row. Haven't had a bad launch in the last 60 or so flights...and never twice the same day. But nothing happened to the plane at all. It landed flat on the ground and the second time the motor was raging full throttle and stryker was hopping sideways from the prop digging into the grass. Ohhh Jeeeezzz!!

Picked it up and was really happy and amazed the prop was ok and motor shaft somehow NOT even slightly bent. (medusa 3.17 shaft)

Third toss and it flew like nothing ever happened. Now I remember the little plywood rear skids I made were torn off cleanly, one per each crash, but I just flew without them and hot glued them back on when I got home. The incredibly durable F27C.
NOTAR 600 is offline Find More Posts by NOTAR 600
Old Apr 01, 2011, 02:08 AM
what ya mean i have to land?
DesMoines,Wa
Joined Feb 2008
1,310 Posts
next time just tell it to behave or you'll replace it with a q
oly_rcer is offline Find More Posts by oly_rcer
Old Apr 01, 2011, 02:27 AM
helter skelter
Central Ohio
Joined Nov 2007
1,462 Posts
Hey Oly........I like the Q.......looks cool and fun!
NOTAR 600 is offline Find More Posts by NOTAR 600
Old Apr 01, 2011, 04:46 AM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdnunoc View Post
My thought is that the F27-C airfoil produces gobs more lift than is required at ultra high speeds, and this must be corrected for by flying the wing at a negative angle of attack.
Hey Murd,
If your theory is correct, I have just one question for you then ..................

How come I can run 135 mph (straight and level, hands off the sticks) on King Lymey with a certain motor/batt/ESC and prop, land and switch just the prop, then run 185 mph (straight and level, hands off the sticks) without needing a single click of trim ?

NOTHING on the fuse was cut or trimmed
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
Old Apr 01, 2011, 05:17 AM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmyway View Post
Hey Murd,
If your theory is correct, I have just one question for you then ..................

How come I can run 135 mph (straight and level, hands off the sticks) on King Lymey with a certain motor/batt/ESC and prop, land and switch just the prop, then run 185 mph (straight and level, hands off the sticks) without needing a single click of trim ?

The extra lift was canceled out by the increased drag pulling the plane downwards.
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx
Old Apr 01, 2011, 08:01 AM
anaheim, ca
Joined Apr 2005
2,542 Posts
i like the idea of the new stryker, but it certainly could look better. stock design went from dull military:
http://www.hobbyzone.com/images/airplanes/PKZ1200B.jpg

to a more exciting tiger stripe:
http://www.hooked-on-rc-airplanes.co...7c-stryker.jpg

and now:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...KZ5680&Index=9

which doesn't look much different than:
http://www.rc-model-review.com/sites...3-fantom-3.jpg

i think i mainly don't like the bubble cockpit and ww2 fighter plane lookin' nose. videos of its performance look good! don't know how often i'd use the rudders...
lowdive is offline Find More Posts by lowdive
Old Apr 01, 2011, 08:19 AM
Victim of C.D.O.
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Arcteryxxx,
The drag generated by increased airspeed creates a force to pull the plane backward.

Mopar,
If your plane truly does fly at the exact same elevon trim setting at 135mph and 185mph, then I cannot explain what is happening. Your planes defy aerodynamics.

If an airfoil is generating 4lbs. of lift at a given airspeed and angle of attack, increasing the airspeed without changing the angle of attack WILL increase lift, initiating a climb. Every full scale plane drops the nose to stay level when speed is increased, and raises the nose when speed is decreased. My Strykers and Ritewings do, too. If I have my plane trimmed for hands off at WOT and 185mph, then pull the power back and cruise around at 100mph, I'm adding back pressure to the stick.

I could explain it away with thrust angle if we were flying with a nose-down thrust angle. But the Custom RC Parts motor mount gives a nose-up thrust angle, so that can't be it.

Maybe try the experiment with different power settings on the same flight instead of different props...

Quote:
Hey Murd,

murdnunoc is offline Find More Posts by murdnunoc
Old Apr 01, 2011, 08:44 AM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdnunoc View Post
Mopar,

1. Your planes defy aerodynamics.

2. If I have my plane trimmed for hands off at WOT and 185mph, then pull the power back and cruise around at 100mph, I'm adding back pressure to the stick.

3. But the Custom RC Parts motor mount gives a nose-up thrust angle, so that can't be it.

4. Maybe try the experiment with different power settings on the same flight instead of different props...
1. This isnt the first time someone has stated this, and been wrong

2. Your example is totally different from flying an 8x5 @ WOT, then landing and swapping an 8x8 and flying @ WOT

3. Is this your observations on a stock Stryker, or a glassed one ?

4. This alters the forces in flight that I gave you as an example. If I pull back on the throttle, I definately need to give a little nose up also, but I was askin you to swap props and fly WOT with 2 different pitch props (8x5 compared to 8x8 for example). I am VERY curious to see how yours performs

moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
Old Apr 01, 2011, 11:14 AM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,337 Posts
Lift, drag, pwr etc....

Mopar & Murdo:
Some words from my bible:

Power Budget — Using the Engine

Figure 1.14 shows how engine power affects the power budget. The bottom curve applies when the engine is operating at 1700 RPM, the middle curve applies at 2000 RPM, and the top curve applies at 2300 RPM.

Point A indicates a 500 fpm descent at 80 knots. Point B indicates level flight at the same airspeed, and point C indicates a 500 fpm climb still at the same airspeed. The rule is simple: if the engine produces more power, the airplane will descend at a lesser rate or even ascend.

Point D corresponds to level flight at 110 knots. The power setting is the same as at point C — but the energy that was being used to purchase altitude (point C) is now being used to pay for the higher drag at the new airspeed (point D). If engine power exactly equals frictional losses, the airplane will stay level — fuel energy is being used to pay for the friction.

The numbers in this example are consistent with a rule of thumb that applies to a wide range of light aircraft: starting from level flight, to set up a 500 fpm descent,

* Reduce power by 300 RPM (for a fixed-pitch prop), or
* Reduce power by 3” of manifold pressure (for a constant-speed prop).

This rule works surprisingly well over quite a range of different makes and models. Make a point of learning whichever version of this rule applies to your airplane. It is a big improvement over blindly guessing at throttle settings.
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx
Last edited by Arcteryxxx; Apr 01, 2011 at 11:29 AM.
Old Apr 01, 2011, 01:54 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,574 Posts
I like the aerobatics capability of the Q. Good speed and agility. I love the elevator landing at the end of the video! I think they were going for all around fun plane that still doesn't require a club to fly it...

Granted it may not be well suited for high speed but the Stryker really was originally designed as a Park Flyer and the new design still keeps it in that category.

After all, all Parkzone planes pretty much target the Park Flyer market. If it was going to break 100 mph, they'd probably move it over to the E-Flite brand... And they may do just that in the future. Check out the Habu:

Parkzone version: http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PKZ7075

E-flite version: http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=EFL8075
cjbucher is offline Find More Posts by cjbucher
Old Apr 01, 2011, 02:03 PM
Static Model Collector LOL
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
Hey CJ - You want to have a go at my old Six Series, to see if you can fix it?
I already got a new one

LMK,

FCA

If you do just shoot me a PM with your address, I can mail it out tomorrow
FLAME747 is offline Find More Posts by FLAME747
Old Apr 01, 2011, 03:38 PM
The Earth got in the way!
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,229 Posts
I saw the Q in person today at Toledo. Sorry I forgot to take pics. They seem excited about the new Q. It is a wheel on the bottom and the red and blue is paint not stickers. They said it will do a solid 90 but, don't figure on big packs. Just because of the design there isn't much room with the hatch and new fuse to hog out foam. It was very solid and ridged. It looks very good and the rudders were nice and big.
kuczy is offline Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 92" Edge
Old Apr 01, 2011, 04:24 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAME747 View Post
Hey CJ - You want to have a go at my old Six Series, to see if you can fix it?
I already got a new one

LMK,

FCA

If you do just shoot me a PM with your address, I can mail it out tomorrow
Thanks for the offer but if the bend is bad I'd end up having to buy the rotor for it.

Let me think it over...
cjbucher is offline Find More Posts by cjbucher
Old Apr 01, 2011, 05:05 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Quote:
2. Your example is totally different from flying an 8x5 @ WOT, then landing and swapping an 8x8 and flying @ WOT

4. This alters the forces in flight that I gave you as an example. If I pull back on the throttle, I definately need to give a little nose up also, but I was askin you to swap props and fly WOT with 2 different pitch props (8x5 compared to 8x8 for example). I am VERY curious to see how yours performs
You sure??

There are four forces in flight that affect the plane's flight. In straight and level, unaccelerated flight, Lift, Weight, Thrust, and Drag are all balanced in opposition to each other.
If your or my Stryker is flying at its top speed, thrust and drag are equal.
Assuming identical airframes, two planes flying at 135mph are generating exactly the same amounts of thrust and drag. Given same weights, they are both generating the same amount of lift.

If your plane flies at 135mph on an 8x5 prop at WOT, and my plane flies at 135mph on an 8x8 prop at 70% throttle, they ARE producing the same amount of thrust because at that airspeed they produce the same amount of drag.

Quote:
3. Is this your observations on a stock Stryker, or a glassed one ?
Glassed, as will be all my builds intended for 150+mph.

-------

The only way a wing can increase its airspeed and not climb is to change its angle of attack. No getting around it. At some point in the flight, however minute it may be, your plane IS flying at a different angle of attack when it changes airspeed.

--------

I have a Stryker airframe now with a very thin, nearly-symmetrical airfoil that I build mostly for the purpose of testing out this theory. I also have a deliciously simple and dirty test I've been wanting to do to determine the angle of attack the Stryker is flying at. Just need the flight time...
murdnunoc is offline Find More Posts by murdnunoc