http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...205428&page=61
rimripper is offline Find More Posts by rimripper
Old Mar 31, 2011, 07:49 PM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
5,001 Posts
Dave,
Whatever the leading edge protrusions are being called, they increase lift. At well over 175 mph, I am sure they will adversely effect flying straight and level, and will cause us to need to input elevons down to combat this effect, slowing us down.

I am sure there will be a HUGE volume of Dudes purchasing one (including me), however, I wont be gunning for speeds over 175 with the airfoil design put forth, but will be using it for more how Quique designed the Yak and the "Q", for slower stunts.

Just because you Dudes built it for increased speeds doesnt mean that its built for the speeds we run with the "C". I am sure it will run faster than the stock "C", but there aint any way that it will compete with our faster Strykers speed wise.
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
Old Mar 31, 2011, 08:08 PM
Gravity-Compliant User
Nebraska USA
Joined Mar 2008
1,450 Posts
It's refreshing that Parkzone recognized they had a good thing going in the Stryker and improved upon it (once again) - nice video, by the way. I'm going to have to add one to my growing Stryker collection!

I would only hope they retain the `C' version (and parts support), since it is a more appropriate entry-level version for new Stryker flyers, and is still extremely popular. It makes a great aerial platform for my GoPro camera, probably better than the `Q' version would. I believe the `C' and `Q' versions could co-exist profitably for quite some time, if given the chance.

Anyway, thanks for feeding the addiction, Parkzone...!
Zaurak3 is offline Find More Posts by Zaurak3
Old Mar 31, 2011, 08:12 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,793 Posts
I could have helped in the airfoil and design to make it go fast
It does look cool,but I dont know how efective ruders will be on somthing with such a short tail moment.

Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt View Post
Interesting thoughts on the airfoil, especially since Quique developed it thinner than the original specifically to get more speed. Slats? As in a drooping leading edge? There are no slats, just a dogtooth shape in the planform.
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
Old Mar 31, 2011, 09:06 PM
...just an earth bound misfit
Joined Mar 2010
660 Posts
The rudders seemed good enough to pull off a nice flat spin, snap rolls, and a convincing knife edge down the field.

Parkzone F-27Q Stryker High Performance Rc Airplane (1 min 43 sec)
Dirt-Torpedo is offline Find More Posts by Dirt-Torpedo
Old Mar 31, 2011, 09:06 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,880 Posts
No need for a new thread for the new Stryker.

Look at how the Funjet turned out ...there is now about 5 threads.

Lets be smart and just keep one.

Gryphon
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
Old Mar 31, 2011, 09:38 PM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
5,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt View Post
Interesting thoughts on the airfoil, especially since Quique developed it thinner than the original specifically to get more speed.
OK, doppler at 70 deg F shows LESS than 90 mph on those 2 passes in the first few seconds of the video.

So, I suppose you and Quique did get more speed than the stock "C" version (65 mph with a slight tailwind), but do you really think less than 90 is the place to be considering the FJ Ultra does over 120 in its stock form ??

I am done doing my "bad mouthing" of the new Stryker "Q", I guess I am just dissapointed in the "increased performance" of the "Q" version, as I was hoping for well over 100 mph in box stock form. I will still get 1 or 2 of them for easy flying, but I will keep the "C" for the speedsters, and probably look to Ritewing or the FJ Ultra for the newer, faster ones.
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:53 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
I'd like to keep the jury out on determining whether the airfoil is more or less suited to more speed. If the protrusions on the leading edge are a drooping part, they would increase lift and hurt high speed performance, like Mopar stated. But if they're merely a part of the wing that's cut to give it a cool look when looking at it from top or bottom, they may not hurt high speed aerodynamics.

My thought is that the F27-C airfoil produces gobs more lift than is required at ultra high speeds, and this must be corrected for by flying the wing at a negative angle of attack. If the airfoil has been redesigned to be more symmetrical and thinner, like Dave E. said, I see great potential for speed.

I do believe, as Mopar does, that the new Q version is not as readily adaptable to high power and speed as the C version is. The canopy will cut airflow to the motor, limiting potential power, and if the fuselage area has been reshaped to be slimmer, it will restrict our battery capacity. We'll doubtless be making our own heavy duty fins anyway, so that to me is a non-issue.

My thinking is that if a modified (possibly C-version) canopy is applied, the Q airframe may work out just as well or possibly better for high speed pursuits. Also crucial to this would be the ability to run, or at least modify to run, the Custom RC Parts motor mount. I think this could be worked around by adding a piece of foam or balsa behind where the Q motor currently sits to give it a straight trailing edge to support the Custom mount.

I don't feel I'll be able to make firm judgments on its viability for speed freaks until I can check out that wing...
murdnunoc is offline Find More Posts by murdnunoc
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:57 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
I second the request to leave discussion of the Stryker-Q in this thread. So much of the info here is applicable to the new model that it will remain the source on RCG for Stryker discussion.
murdnunoc is offline Find More Posts by murdnunoc
Old Mar 31, 2011, 11:05 PM
what ya mean i have to land?
DesMoines,Wa
Joined Feb 2008
1,405 Posts
i just looked at the prices at horizon hobby,$85us for a replacement painted fuse.wonder if that comes with a nose cone?and that is a nose wheel under the plane,they have the spare nose wheel pant
oly_rcer is offline Find More Posts by oly_rcer
Old Mar 31, 2011, 11:09 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,854 Posts
The Q version looks like fun. I wouldn't think it's readily modified to take a brick. I am looking forward to it, but $85 might keep me away. Not sure it's worth that for an ARF.
johnnyrocco123 is online now Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Mar 31, 2011, 11:12 PM
what ya mean i have to land?
DesMoines,Wa
Joined Feb 2008
1,405 Posts
ya thats the good part.they were cheap and you didn't feel as bad when it pancaked in and broke the fuse in half
oly_rcer is offline Find More Posts by oly_rcer
Old Mar 31, 2011, 11:17 PM
The Earth got in the way!
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,294 Posts
If I remember correctly you used to able to buy a painted C body and it was also $85.
kuczy is offline Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 92" Edge
Old Mar 31, 2011, 11:34 PM
Alberta,Canada
Joined Nov 2009
2,484 Posts
I just purchased the last 2 c versions from the lhs,like others I hope they do continue to make them,but who know's.Maybe pick up a Q for the fun factor.
Agreed on keeping one thread alive.
rimripper is offline Find More Posts by rimripper