HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 17, 2010, 07:46 PM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4spd View Post
love the intakes removed completely. looks real sharp that way. how much fin can be removed safely
I am not too sure what you mean by fin ?
Are you asking about the verticals ??
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2010, 08:08 PM
totally addicted
high country az
Joined Nov 2009
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAME747 View Post
As per your request Hey Moparmyway - What type of tape are you using to cover the leading edge of the wings?
[IMG][/IMG]

Hey Need4Speed - Yeah I am hooked, just need to get a handle on it, things happen FAST, newbie here - only been flying a HZ Champ for a little over a month, and now jumped to a Stryker Run, hide the women & children - I do have a micro sukohi but still can fly it

BTW: The only way I can describe that 1st somewhat controlled flight I had this morning, was like in Apollo 13, when they had to do a manual burn of the rocket engines - ALL over the place

I just need to tone this bird down for now.

Q: Alot of you guys swear by hot glue, I got a low temp glue gun from a local craft store, tried using it to repair the nose, did not stick to well, came undone, so I ended up using CA, and use the hot glue to fill in the gaps

What's the proper way to apply the hot glue
i am jn no way a pro or claim to be close to one so you may take what my experiences are with a grain o salt.
i personally dont care for expo on my stryker. i want it to respond when i say and how i say. i have my controls set as "medium" i have the clevis in the second hole up from the control surface, and the servo end in the third from the servo (actually my arms are dif from yours so i will say that the z bend at the servo end is actually flush with the foam of the wing) with my high rate set at 100% and low at 65% this range I feel comfortable with. like i said...this is my pref. expo at 0
need4spd is offline Find More Posts by need4spd
Old Oct 17, 2010, 08:30 PM
totally addicted
high country az
Joined Nov 2009
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmyway View Post
I am not too sure what you mean by fin ?
Are you asking about the verticals ??
yes. i was thinking of maybe an inch or so off the back so i can clean up the trailing edges in the area with balsa
Old Oct 17, 2010, 08:34 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,565 Posts
I stripped my Stryker and tried to get as much weight off of it as possible to fly it on a 3S 2200mah.

I wonder if anyone is using Gary's mount, lotta CF, Balsa elevons and also trying to fly it with such a lght battery?

I know I should probably start from scratch but I am determined to make this into a 3S Stryker.

Problem.... when I add weight to the nose to balance it, it noses in like it is extremely nose heavy. When I remove the lead and move the battery back, making it extremely tail heavy, it noses into the ground.

I am missing something here about the way a light weight delta wing reacts to moving the CG. It is nothing like a conventional plane with tail.

Anyone have a suggestion?

I have always flown my Strykers extremely nose heavy in the past and trimmed to fly straight, but I am determined to keep the elevons lined with the air foil.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Oct 17, 2010, 08:38 PM
just an earth-bound misfit
USA, NC, Huntersville
Joined Jul 2008
3,744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4spd View Post
...i personally dont care for expo on my stryker.
I was like you until I flew my modded Stryker. I've been flying for 3 years now using a radio without expo on everything from 3d to flying wings to park flyers, to experimental planes. I didn't have expo and didn't think I needed it. That is until I finally flew my Stryker at around 120mph without it. Even with tiny throws, it was a handful. 120mph equals 176 feet per second so the slightest mistake or over-correction can be hard to control. A buddy gave me one of his old radios with expo and it "tamed the beast" so to speak. I can now enjoy flying at that speed. Turns are much smoother and full-throttle passes at 12" off the ground are now possible. I can even keep her on high rates now at wot. I still don't use it on any of my other planes, but personally, I think it's needed for high speed flying.
Murman is online now Find More Posts by Murman
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2010, 09:00 PM
totally addicted
high country az
Joined Nov 2009
122 Posts
you know...i havent hit that mark yet, the 120ish. i am planning on it soon tho so maybe i should consider the change myself. just as soon as the mega arrives i have been flying around the century mark, maybe slightly less\
as for the trimming and trailing edges im considering, maybe im over thinking this a bit too much. how much is too be gained.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 12:07 AM
what ya mean i have to land?
DesMoines,Wa
Joined Feb 2008
1,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
I stripped my Stryker and tried to get as much weight off of it as possible to fly it on a 3S 2200mah.

I wonder if anyone is using Gary's mount, lotta CF, Balsa elevons and also trying to fly it with such a lght battery?

I know I should probably start from scratch but I am determined to make this into a 3S Stryker.

Problem.... when I add weight to the nose to balance it, it noses in like it is extremely nose heavy. When I remove the lead and move the battery back, making it extremely tail heavy, it noses into the ground.

I am missing something here about the way a light weight delta wing reacts to moving the CG. It is nothing like a conventional plane with tail.

Anyone have a suggestion?

I have always flown my Strykers extremely nose heavy in the past and trimmed to fly straight, but I am determined to keep the elevons lined with the air foil.
not sure what your set at,i've always flown my strykers with a 2200 3s,have carbon in the wing and the rest is stock with a turnigy 2835 in it.never had to add weight to it.just move the batt pretty much as far forward as possible,you might have to remove the foam so it can slide forward a little should balance right in the circles ,mine do and they fly nicely with just a little elevator needed during inverted,maybe check and make sure the motor is lined up. good luck
oly_rcer is offline Find More Posts by oly_rcer
Old Oct 18, 2010, 03:01 AM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post

I wonder if anyone is using Gary's mount,

I am missing something here about the way a light weight delta wing reacts to moving the CG.

I have always flown my Strykers extremely nose heavy in the past and trimmed to fly straight, but I am determined to keep the elevons lined with the air foil.[/B]
Bad weather, and they all hang !!!

OK, so your Stryker flew, then you "trimmed the elevons" so they are lined with the airfoil, and you think it has to do with Garys mount or the plane being a light weight delta ??
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
Last edited by moparmyway; Oct 18, 2010 at 03:10 AM.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 08:19 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmyway View Post
Bad weather, and they all hang !!!

OK, so your Stryker flew, then you "trimmed the elevons" so they are lined with the airfoil, and you think it has to do with Garys mount or the plane being a light weight delta ??

This is an existing Stryker that I have flown for the last 5 months. I took the huge ARC motor off as well as the Ice 100 and replaced it with a tiny Turnigy 2836 2350kv and a 60 amp ESC. I thought that if I moved the 3S 2200 all the way up in my HUGE, hollowed out coffin of a battery bay, that I could get it to balance. Turns out, I have to add so much weight to the nose, it defeats the entire purpose of the 2200mah.

My question was............ No matter if I add weight and am close to balancing or if I am tail heavy, the plane wants to nose right into the ground with the elevons trimmed perfectly.

Does that make sense?

Note: Because this is a built up Stryker (36mm aluminum mount, balsa elevons, a lot of CF, strappping tape) I am carrying a lot of weight in the rear.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Oct 18, 2010, 11:33 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,460 Posts
Almost sounds like a thrust angle issue. Maybe not enough thrust angle?
cjbucher is offline Find More Posts by cjbucher
Old Oct 18, 2010, 11:55 AM
what ya mean i have to land?
DesMoines,Wa
Joined Feb 2008
1,115 Posts
dont most flying wings and delta wings have up reflex built in to the body or slight5 up elevator to compensate for reflex?if so and elevons are trimmed level with wings then it is going to dive every time.i always have slight up reflex on my stryker,and im using the same motor and such
oly_rcer is offline Find More Posts by oly_rcer
Old Oct 18, 2010, 08:18 PM
just an earth-bound misfit
USA, NC, Huntersville
Joined Jul 2008
3,744 Posts
Yeah, most wings do need a bit of reflex to fly level.
Johnnyrocco123, you should trim the elevons so that your Stryker flys correctly, not so that they look good while sitting in your shop.
Murman is online now Find More Posts by Murman
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 19, 2010, 11:17 AM
Static Model Collector LOL
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
I am pretty sure itís here somewhere, but canít find it Ė What size CF rods are you all using to reinforce the wing, also is it hollow or solid rods?

Thanks,

FCA
FLAME747 is offline Find More Posts by FLAME747
Old Oct 19, 2010, 11:48 AM
Alberta,Canada
Joined Nov 2009
2,391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAME747 View Post
I am pretty sure itís here somewhere, but canít find it Ė What size CF rods are you all using to reinforce the wing, also is it hollow or solid rods?

Thanks,

FCA
I used a .300 from nose to tail(carbon arrow shaft)and .210 hollow rod for the rest of the frame.If you search in mopar's blog you will find all the best info you need to build a steller stryker.
rimripper is offline Find More Posts by rimripper
Old Oct 19, 2010, 11:53 AM
zoom zoom
USA, NJ, Mt Laurel
Joined Oct 2007
3,691 Posts
johnny,

is it nosing in at launch or in flight?
gotboostedvr6 is offline Find More Posts by gotboostedvr6