SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 07, 2006, 06:17 PM
Live, Die, FLY
Kalispell, in the Rocky Mountains
Joined Jul 2006
497 Posts
I havent timed it yet but...

How long is a normal charge?

Lastley what is the fastest wind speed you would dare flying it in?

-Dustin
That can fly?!? is offline Find More Posts by That can fly?!?
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2006, 08:37 PM
Portage Michigan
Joined May 2006
206 Posts
Thanks guys for the input and no stryker in the G3 on the slinger from GP
steelydan is offline Find More Posts by steelydan
Old Sep 07, 2006, 09:54 PM
Portage Michigan
Joined May 2006
206 Posts
Well I got my first real flight time with the stryker tonite, I never adjusted the throws and WOW! The take off looked like a roller coaster ride at Cedar Point. I managed to fly the plane around for a full battery , But I really need to get a pitch gauge to set these end points back a little as I was way over correcting. Neat plane with alot for me to learn about it. Thanks for the help.
steelydan is offline Find More Posts by steelydan
Old Sep 07, 2006, 11:09 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by That can fly?!?
Lastley what is the fastest wind speed you would dare flying it in?
Dustin:

IME, most people vastly overestimate wind speed. I used to race a one-design sailing dinghy and to really tune our boats we used wind meters - setting the rig tension and mast bend to predetermined points based upon the wind speed. To have it useful at all required accurate measurements, or you were wasting your time.

Once I got a cheap but fairly accurate wind meter http://www.accumall.com/products/SM-..._id=&session=0 I found that most people guessed the wind was about 125% - 150% stronger than the actual reading. So answering your question assumes you can correctly judge or measure the wind speed.

I have flown my A model as a powered airplane in a true wind speed of 14 mph - but it felt like 25 mph. It flies fine as long as you have enough power to not go backwards at WOT, it is the landing that is tricky since it bounces like mad on landing approach. It needs a little more forward CG to make it as stable as possible without pitching up too much in gusts.

Hey....you almost can't hurt it, so go ahead and try in whatever Mother Nature gives you.

FC
FoamCrusher is online now Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Old Sep 07, 2006, 11:31 PM
Live, Die, FLY
Joined Jul 2006
497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoamCrusher
Dustin:

IME, most people vastly overestimate wind speed. I used to race a one-design sailing dinghy and to really tune our boats we used wind meters - setting the rig tension and mast bend to predetermined points based upon the wind speed. To have it useful at all required accurate measurements, or you were wasting your time.

Once I got a cheap but fairly accurate wind meter http://www.accumall.com/products/SM-..._id=&session=0 I found that most people guessed the wind was about 125% - 150% stronger than the actual reading. So answering your question assumes you can correctly judge or measure the wind speed.

I have flown my A model as a powered airplane in a true wind speed of 14 mph - but it felt like 25 mph. It flies fine as long as you have enough power to not go backwards at WOT, it is the landing that is tricky since it bounces like mad on landing approach. It needs a little more forward CG to make it as stable as possible without pitching up too much in gusts.

Hey....you almost can't hurt it, so go ahead and try in whatever Mother Nature gives you.

FC
Thought about it but I like the paint job.
Old Sep 08, 2006, 11:41 AM
Westside, Santa Cruz
Joined Mar 2006
536 Posts
I had to add a 1/2 ounce weight to the tail of my pnp stryker f-27c is this normal I am running a 3s 2200 mah lipo
matter_daddy is offline Find More Posts by matter_daddy
Old Sep 08, 2006, 12:05 PM
anaheim, ca
Joined Apr 2005
2,542 Posts
i prefer wind to fly my stryker in. can take it to altitude and then glide on the currents. i've had a couple of 25-30 min flights like that. got to the point i was laying on the ground to keep my neck from hurting.
lowdive is offline Find More Posts by lowdive
Old Sep 08, 2006, 02:38 PM
My first Build
Vancouver WA
Joined Jul 2006
973 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by matter_daddy
I had to add a 1/2 ounce weight to the tail of my pnp stryker f-27c is this normal I am running a 3s 2200 mah lipo
I converted mine to brushless with a 2100 lipo and had to dig the large screw out of the nose to get the CG right. couldn't get it to "unscrew" so just screwed it right thru the top of the nose. i'm still a fuzz nose heavy but like that.
radralph is offline Find More Posts by radralph
Old Sep 08, 2006, 07:42 PM
Extreme Hoverer
Omaha, Ne.
Joined Jun 2006
308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowdive
i prefer wind to fly my stryker in. can take it to altitude and then glide on the currents. i've had a couple of 25-30 min flights like that. got to the point i was laying on the ground to keep my neck from hurting.

Thats the way my maiden fligt was,I flew it right off the top of the old landfill and I bet it was up for at least 30 minutes,got tired of flying.
wo23dodge is offline Find More Posts by wo23dodge
Old Sep 08, 2006, 08:36 PM
Live, Die, FLY
Joined Jul 2006
497 Posts
New trick!

I took the blue alluminum air coils of my Blade Cp. It is smaller than the motor on my F-27C, but if you snap it on, you need no ahdhesives to keep it on. Cheap, simple, light, and stylish motor cooler. Noticabley more power
Old Sep 08, 2006, 09:06 PM
Just here to fly stuff
Everywhere
Joined Dec 2005
421 Posts
That is interesting, are you talking about the optional heat sink for the CP? If so, I'll get one from the local hobby shop and give it a try. They do not cost that much.
Last weekend I rerouted the antennia away from the speed control. I got a great flight, no problems. Plus, it seemed to move faster. Overall, still impressed with this plane.
Launching for me is interesting. I am left handed, and I do not launch under power. It is a hard level toss with the radio in the right hand, and then getting the radio to the left hand to start the motor. It took some practice.
LeadSled is offline Find More Posts by LeadSled
Old Sep 09, 2006, 12:57 AM
Live, Die, FLY
Joined Jul 2006
497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadSled
That is interesting, are you talking about the optional heat sink for the CP? If so, I'll get one from the local hobby shop and give it a try. They do not cost that much.
Last weekend I rerouted the antennia away from the speed control. I got a great flight, no problems. Plus, it seemed to move faster. Overall, still impressed with this plane.
Launching for me is interesting. I am left handed, and I do not launch under power. It is a hard level toss with the radio in the right hand, and then getting the radio to the left hand to start the motor. It took some practice.
Yep the blade Cp heat sink, sorry I just couldent word it right. It looks kinda cool, all the fins bend down, makes the motor look more complex, I put it on right after a flight, after I thought of the idea, and in no time it was warm.
Old Sep 09, 2006, 05:45 PM
Just here to fly stuff
Everywhere
Joined Dec 2005
421 Posts
I was flying the F27C this morning and crashed it again. I'll try something with the plane, and when I pull it off, I'll try to push it farther, and sometimes it bites me. Luckly, I have a large open field, so the only risk is to the plane. Damage was pretty severe. Ripped about a 3rd of the left wing off, bent up one of the rudders, and broke the nose. In ten minutes I got it glued back together and sorted out. But, since it was already beat up I figured I would install a landing gear. I always wanted a landing gear on a Stryker, but never got around to it with the F27B. Plus I think the F27B was not strong enough to take off from the ground.
Here it is. The gear is heavily reinforced so it should hold together. The nose wheel is not steerable, but will be when I get a new airframe some day.
Old Sep 09, 2006, 09:03 PM
My first Build
Vancouver WA
Joined Jul 2006
973 Posts
Looks cool. Hope you're able to land it OK. RG and steerable nose wheel would be extremely cool wouldn't it?

i just ordered the C motor mount for my BL B. Sounds like you had a pretty hard bump and you didn't mention tearing the motor out. That's encouraging!!!

Good Luck.
radralph is offline Find More Posts by radralph
Old Sep 09, 2006, 10:19 PM
Just here to fly stuff
Everywhere
Joined Dec 2005
421 Posts
Ya, I have had two crashed and no damage to the engine mounting area.
Ok, flight report from using the gear. It was cool.
It will take off from grass or a dirt road. I was flying from a field with a dirt road (with gravel) going through it. Take off was easy, and very short from the grass or road. The dirt road take off was impressive, it threw a huge plume of dust and rocks from full throttle. Take off from both the dirt road and grass was about 10 yards.
Landings were easy, but I bent the front gear rod landing in the grass. I had to change it to a thicker metal rod.
Now for the great news. Top speed is unaffected by the landing gear. It is still just as fast as it was without the gear.