HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 16, 2007, 10:48 AM
Survival is Attitude!
Hallsville Texas
Joined Aug 2005
2,235 Posts
I wrap the servos in first aid tape. I then spray kicker on the tape which soaks it up, and have a layer of thick CA in the plane, and stick it down.
Never comes loose, almost destroy the thing getting it off.
I notice my rolls are much snappier now!
Got to fly the plane into the night Saturday and Sunday.
Man-O-Man, those luxeonstars are bright in the dark! Shut off the motor and had one and three-quarters of a second before I stopped hearing it! at 1126 feet per second, thats right under two thousand feet! Just watching the LED "strobes" popping! It was a blast!
Skonkworkstexas is offline Find More Posts by Skonkworkstexas
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2007, 05:15 PM
VBARRRR
USA, CA, San Bruno
Joined Jul 2007
2,502 Posts
guys, i need cheap ways of making landing gears for a stryker

steerable nose is optional, and it needs to be low profile, i dont want it riding high (on 24" LOL!)

i dont wanna keep bending my motor shaft on landing, went through 5 already
brian94066 is online now Find More Posts by brian94066
Old Jul 16, 2007, 05:27 PM
Live, Die, FLY
Kalispell, in the Rocky Mountains
Joined Jul 2006
497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian94066

steerable nose is optional, and it needs to be low profile, i dont want it riding high (on 24" LOL!)

Its very difficult to do because when you take off the prop gose down while the nose gose up, so it has to be fariely high. Also takeoff distance is purdy far.
That can fly?!? is offline Find More Posts by That can fly?!?
Old Jul 16, 2007, 05:29 PM
Live, Die, FLY
Joined Jul 2006
497 Posts
Yo lead,

Whats the motor, esc, battery combo. And the cost??? I just added a 7X5 to the stock electronics and it is way faster now. But I want to make it even faster yet. Peace
Old Jul 16, 2007, 09:16 PM
VBARRRR
USA, CA, San Bruno
Joined Jul 2007
2,502 Posts
then is there any ways to raise the rear up just to clear the prop so i can land safely?
Old Jul 16, 2007, 10:18 PM
Live, Die, FLY
Joined Jul 2006
497 Posts
Quote:
then is there any ways to raise the rear up just to clear the prop so i can land safely?
Yes, BUT remember when you land the landing gear will flex, so be sure there is enough to obsorb shock. Anyway when I land I make passes till when I shut my motor off the prop be horozontal.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 10:55 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,568 Posts
Brian94066, here's what I did to protect my prop and motor shaft.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...01#post7559501

Just need some 3mm carbon tubing and mount as shown in the link above...
cjbucher is online now Find More Posts by cjbucher
Old Jul 17, 2007, 10:33 AM
Survival is Attitude!
Hallsville Texas
Joined Aug 2005
2,235 Posts
Quote:

If you mount gear, locate the mains well behind the CG. Mount the nosewheel link to 1/2 by 1/2 hardwood stick than runs the length of the plane, and the motor can mount to the stick as well. I have the same hardwood stick with a groove under each wing, embedded in the wing wiith foaming PU. THe leg is in the groove, and then turns up. The longer the horizontal length, the softer the spring effect.
I was VERY unsatisfied with the effect, bouncing and jolting! I did away with it. The longer the wheelbase, the better off you are.
Oh, and the nosewheel needs to have the plane elevated in the front about 5 or 10 degrees, or it will not rotate!
Old Jul 17, 2007, 11:17 AM
Survival is Attitude!
Hallsville Texas
Joined Aug 2005
2,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbucher
Brian94066, here's what I did to protect my prop and motor shaft.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...01#post7559501

Just need some 3mm carbon tubing and mount as shown in the link above...
If I was concerned about shafts, and what I didn't like about gear on this bird, I would probably do this.
I have yet to bend a Himaxx shaft on this bird! And rarely break props!
Old Jul 17, 2007, 03:48 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skonkworkstexas
If I was concerned about shafts, and what I didn't like about gear on this bird, I would probably do this.
I have yet to bend a Himaxx shaft on this bird! And rarely break props!
So far (knock on wood ), the carbon rods seem to work well for me. I've had about 25 flights with them on and have not had any issues with the prop digging in on landing...
Old Jul 17, 2007, 05:37 PM
Survival is Attitude!
Hallsville Texas
Joined Aug 2005
2,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbucher
So far (knock on wood ), the carbon rods seem to work well for me. I've had about 25 flights with them on and have not had any issues with the prop digging in on landing...
Simplicity itself. No drag, no hassles!
Old Jul 18, 2007, 11:24 AM
Per Ardua ad Astra
United Kingdom, England, London
Joined Jan 2005
398 Posts
Just got back from my F-27C maiden....

Wow! Its so nice to fly! Easier to fly than my electric powered gliders (no sign of any sort of instability in the turn), great transition from power to glide, and with a good turn of speed.

Flew for about 8mins using a Flightpower 1800 3S lipo. most of the time I was using 50% throttle, with some WOT. Such a nice plane to fly circuits with. I even went vertical a couple times!

Motor and Esc were pretty cool, and the lipo about 38deg C. The stock motor/prop is fine for me..... but I'm just a beginner at the moment, I normally fly a Trex 450 heli.

Howard.
Esprit 88 is offline Find More Posts by Esprit 88
Old Jul 18, 2007, 02:58 PM
VBARRRR
USA, CA, San Bruno
Joined Jul 2007
2,502 Posts
hey COOL! glad you had fun with the stryker
Old Jul 19, 2007, 10:23 AM
Survival is Attitude!
Hallsville Texas
Joined Aug 2005
2,235 Posts
Vertical a couple of times? Do they fly horizontally? LOL, I had to pick.
I love these for the same reason. My co-flyers say I am a complete different pilot after months with these. Took me from on the threshold of intermediate to advanced they say. What would happen is I would lose it, but at altitude, and pull back both sticks. No power, no speed, and she would go from leather to lace. And got to keep her as a result. Now I am full throttle usually most of the flight.
Fantastic bird.
Bout' to try their PNP T-28. I CANNOT WAIT!
Old Jul 20, 2007, 09:57 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,568 Posts
History of the Stryker: I think there have been 4 generations of Strykers now.

- 1st Generation: Stryker where you had to attach the wings (I think it was made of different foam too). Taped hinges, proprietary 27Mhz electronics.

- 2nd Generation: Stryker now has one piece body (except the nose). 27 Mhz electronics and taped hinges. Did not support Lipo.

- 3rd Generation: Officially known as the Stryker B. Now has plastic hinges, extra venting, 27 Mhz electronics, and can now support Lipo.

- 4th Generation: Officially known as the Stryker C. New paint theme, new electronics - now using standard 72 Mhz electronics with 3 wire servos, lipo, and brushless, also improved motor mount.

---

Mine is a 2nd generation (before the B). I ran it stock for about 2 years. Got tired of the very limited vertical and the lack of granularity in the 27 mhz electronics. So I upgraded it: Brushless motor (Ammo 24-33-3500), 5x3 APC prop, Apollo 25 Amp speed controller, Electrifly 1500 20C lipo, 72 Mhz electronics (Berg receiver), and HS-81 servos. So much better now. 72 mph level flight (dopplered), unlimited vertical, and since I went a little light with my battery and motor, mine weighs in at 19 oz instead of 22. Another unusual characteristic is that it's amazingly quiet. Not sure why since it's a pretty high kv motor. Maybe the APC 5x3 prop has something to do with it. Also, the Ammo motor seems to be doing well - never gets beyond warm.

Anyway, I've been loving this plane ever since I upgraded it. In a dive, this thing really gets going (maybe close to 90mph)! I set my throws to be more reactive so it has a pretty fast roll rate. Makes it pretty interesting at high speed.