Joined Mar 2008
1,198 Posts
^^^^wow^^^
beginner4life is offline Find More Posts by beginner4life
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2010, 04:53 PM
Joined Nov 2009
91 Posts
Well in my stryker #3 i am going to be using the Hyperion 3s 2600 35c and occasionally hyperion 4s 2200 35c

I might get some 3s/4s thunder power 45c 2250mah packs soon to
bigdog5332 is offline Find More Posts by bigdog5332
Old Jul 24, 2010, 11:35 PM
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Joined Sep 2007
2,366 Posts
While not in the running for Gyphon's "Max RPM on a APC 6 x 4" challenge, I thought I would post some data of my last flight today.

Whilst I maiden my fully glassed Trail of Destruction II Stryker last week, proceedings were somewhat subdued due to too flexible elevons that made flight at WOT somewhat interesting. Whilst the elevons were glassed balsa and spruce construction, they didn't turn out as stiff as I hoped but half an hour with the dremel and 1/2 oz of CA fixed that yesterday!

Using an APC 7 x 4 prop on Mega 16/40/1.5SC and 5 cell Turnigy 4000mAh battery on the last flight today indicated:
  • Max rpm of around 30,500rpm during the flight
  • Peak current at launch was 113amps with peaks during flight around 95amps
  • Voltage under load during flight around 18.5 to 19 volts or 3.7 to 3.8 volts per cell.
  • Power in varied from 2150watts at launch to around 1750watts during the flight at WOT.

So what's this all means?
  • I need improve the visability as today was overcast and I lost sight and orientation a few times and consequently only completed 3 flights. (This also limited my WOT runs to about 5 seconds maximum - there are no secrets about the size of my gonads with data from my ICE 100!)
  • I need to improve the battery strap in arrangements and have the straps go around the longitudinal cf tubing in the fuselage like I knew I should rather that just rely on hot glue on epoxy painted foam!
  • I need to check the calibration of the ICE 100 against my watt meters to ensure its of reasonable accuracy.
  • I'm ready for a 7 x 6 prop!

What I do need reassurance on is the question of the rpm I'm getting with the APC 7 x 4 ? Is just over 30,000rpm normal?

Cheers
Peter
Peter M is offline Find More Posts by Peter M
Last edited by Peter M; Jul 25, 2010 at 02:28 AM.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 10:47 PM
Fort Worth, Texas
Joined Apr 2009
129 Posts
Peter,
Just wondering what motor/ esc temperatures you seen on your set up.
I ran the same motor today with ICE 100/ 4S 5000mah/ 7x5S and got an ESC temperature of 155 F and motor temp of 110F.
Stryker Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Stryker Flyer
Last edited by Stryker Flyer; Jul 25, 2010 at 11:07 PM. Reason: graph for 4S rpm / volt only data
Old Jul 26, 2010, 03:12 AM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker Flyer View Post
Peter,
Just wondering what motor/ esc temperatures you seen on your set up.
I ran the same motor today with ICE 100/ 4S 5000mah/ 7x5S and got an ESC temperature of 155 F and motor temp of 110F.
OAT's (Outside Air Temp) were probably different and then there is the airflow around and through the ESC that can make all of the difference.

I only see those ESC temps when running well above the ESC amp limits, and at close to 80 amps, you arent anywhere near the ICE 100 amp limits.

Can you post up some pictures of your electronics with the battery plugged in and ready to launch ??

It looks like you could have a lack of airflow, although anything under 200 deg F on the ICE ESC is considered OK, you might be able to reduce those temps some and get you more breathing room
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
Last edited by moparmyway; Jul 26, 2010 at 03:18 AM.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 04:02 AM
Joined Sep 2007
2,366 Posts
Hi Stryker Flyer,
Since it is mid winter here and my flights are generally short and I'm still running low pitch props (for "familiarisation" purposes ) I'm finding the ESC is only logging temperatures of around 115 degrees F (or about 45 degrees C) which is only about 35 degrees F higher than the ambient ESC temperature of 79 degrees (about 20 degrees C).

Once the weather warms up and I start using higher pitch props and notice the ESC temp significantly rising I was going to "Moparmywayerize" my ICE 100 to improve internal cooling. However reading Mopar's post above indicates that I've still got a lot of headroom available!

As for the motor temperature, I notice your 16/40/1.5SC is the same as mine and barely rises above ambient too! (under the current loads anyway)

Is there a reason you're running 4 cells and not 5?

Regards
Peter

PS: I appreciate your earlier advice on prop sizes and current draws. That was useful to me, thank you!
Old Jul 26, 2010, 04:11 AM
Joined Sep 2007
2,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmyway View Post
OAT's (Outside Air Temp) were probably different and then there is the airflow around and through the ESC that can make all of the difference.

I only see those ESC temps when running well above the ESC amp limits, and at close to 80 amps, you arent anywhere near the ICE 100 amp limits.

Can you post up some pictures of your electronics with the battery plugged in and ready to launch ??

It looks like you could have a lack of airflow, although anything under 200 deg F on the ICE ESC is considered OK, you might be able to reduce those temps some and get you more breathing room
Mopar,
What test regime do you typically use to collect motor data? The CC graph you have attached looks like a static bench run but that can't be right since midway through the motor picks up rpm at the same time the current draw drops! Or is that a long circular climb immediately followed by a dive!

Regards
Peter
Last edited by Peter M; Jul 26, 2010 at 04:18 AM.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 12:38 PM
Fort Worth, Texas
Joined Apr 2009
129 Posts
Thanks, Mopar I'll post up some pics tonight of my set-up. I thought it seemed high for those amps. Main thing sounds like we can handle upto 200F

The out side temperature was about 100 F when I flew yesterday. Looks like your graph shows a starting temp around 95F, possibly.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 12:56 PM
Fort Worth, Texas
Joined Apr 2009
129 Posts
Peter,
Glad to here the prop loads helped.
The second graph I posted was to help you see 4S rpms looks like my Loaded k/v was around 1666 and yours 5S around 1644. If I am right looks like your 30000 rpms are right in line.

I am probably going to run this motor in the Twin Stryker I have been working on. For now just testing ESC's and taking it easy on the motor due to the 100F weather. Luckily I have 5S temp data from you and my 4S from in flights.
I would like to use this and what ever data to help in modification to my air inlets on the twin to keep the ESCs at correct temps. Definetely a 5S 7" motor, but on twin I plan on 6S 6" props.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post
Hi Stryker Flyer,
Since it is mid winter here and my flights are generally short and I'm still running low pitch props (for "familiarisation" purposes ) I'm finding the ESC is only logging temperatures of around 115 degrees F (or about 45 degrees C) which is only about 35 degrees F higher than the ambient ESC temperature of 79 degrees (about 20 degrees C).

Once the weather warms up and I start using higher pitch props and notice the ESC temp significantly rising I was going to "Moparmywayerize" my ICE 100 to improve internal cooling. However reading Mopar's post above indicates that I've still got a lot of headroom available!

As for the motor temperature, I notice your 16/40/1.5SC is the same as mine and barely rises above ambient too! (under the current loads anyway)

Is there a reason you're running 4 cells and not 5?

Regards
Peter

PS: I appreciate your earlier advice on prop sizes and current draws. That was useful to me, thank you!
Last edited by Stryker Flyer; Jul 26, 2010 at 12:57 PM. Reason: added
Old Jul 26, 2010, 04:11 PM
Joined Sep 2007
2,366 Posts
[QUOTE=Stryker Flyer;15635316]...I am probably going to run this motor in the Twin Stryker I have been working on.QUOTE]

Stryker, Yes don't do things by halves like the rest of us! LOL!

Good luck with that project and I look forward to reading your flight report. I just can't imagine what it will be like to fly!

You are welcome to any data I collect and am happy to do special requests including on 4 cells if needed.

I'm realising that I may have to become more circumspect in my flying as my Club Safety Officer is suggesting I may be over the club noise limit by about 15dbA. He gave me a funny look when I replied I only use the motor 5 or 10 seconds at a time......

Regards
Peter
Last edited by Peter M; Jul 26, 2010 at 04:48 PM.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 07:21 PM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,997 Posts
Quote:
Looks like your graph shows a starting temp around 95F, possibly.
It was just about 94 on the Fluke IR
Old Jul 26, 2010, 07:24 PM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post
Mopar,
What test regime do you typically use to collect motor data? The CC graph you have attached looks like a static bench run but that can't be right since midway through the motor picks up rpm at the same time the current draw drops! Or is that a long circular climb immediately followed by a dive!

Regards
Peter
That was a launch with climbing and maneuvering for a run, the run, then the maneuvering to turn around
Old Jul 26, 2010, 08:11 PM
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Jun 2005
1,505 Posts
Mopar, after you attach the elevons to the bass TE...how do you go about sanding the elevon down so the edge is flush level with the TE? ie: do you sand flat like you're sanding the TE, or sand the whole elevon down until the root is level? Does that make sense? One way makes a small flat spot on the elevon and the other changes the thickness of the elevon as a whole.

I just noticed mine are ridged up a bit, which is unfortunate since they are epoxy coated and painted now, but a lil careful elec sander work will fix that. Was gonna sand down the wing tips a bit too. Sucks to repaint, but such is life! I've got my motor, ESC and Rx installed...so hopefully will finally get this bird in the air soon.
Hornetnz is online now Find More Posts by Hornetnz
Old Jul 26, 2010, 08:51 PM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornetnz View Post
Mopar, after you attach the elevons to the bass TE...how do you go about sanding the elevon down so the edge is flush level with the TE? ie: do you sand flat like you're sanding the TE, or sand the whole elevon down until the root is level? Does that make sense? One way makes a small flat spot on the elevon and the other changes the thickness of the elevon as a whole.

I just noticed mine are ridged up a bit, which is unfortunate since they are epoxy coated and painted now, but a lil careful elec sander work will fix that. Was gonna sand down the wing tips a bit too. Sucks to repaint, but such is life! I've got my motor, ESC and Rx installed...so hopefully will finally get this bird in the air soon.
I use one of 3 different ways, or a combination of them all. In order of most used, and personal favorite

#1. Half Roound bastage (HRB) file
#2. Utility knife
#3. Electric sander

You want to make the trailing edge and elevon mirror the contour of the wing, and blend it front to back. You dont want to take away too much material as you go back towards the trailing edge of the elevon. The TE and elevon will get thinner in the middle (following the foam trailing edge thicknesses) and fatter at the ends. I try to shape everything perfectly before epoxy, however, with a HRB file, even the epoxy just comes off with it.

I would shape them now and put a finish coat on the entire rear section, blending the good with the sanded areas. The file is the most precise for me, and cuts away the rough spots real fast.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 09:31 PM
Fort Worth, Texas
Joined Apr 2009
129 Posts
Quote:
I'll post up some pics tonight of my set-up.
Don't laugh to hard this plane has been run well over 200 flights. Its had some hard landings and is about a 1 1/2 years old. Its got lots of carbon fiber modifications, different power systems, lots 3M tape, and modifications from posts over that time.

The curent power system in the pics
4S 5000mah
Copilot sensor on top canopy
Copilot Computer
AR6200 reciever
ICE100 (full length stock wires)