SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 03, 2010, 01:56 PM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,991 Posts
Could I suggest that you "paint" the groove with epoxy before you install the CF, then wet the CF with the epoxy, then install the CF and wipe off the excess with a credit card or a business card ?? Let her sit for several days before you even breathe on it. ???

Skip NO steps

Do NOT deviate from the above and you will have a well bonded CF stiffner.
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 03, 2010, 03:54 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,842 Posts
With C.F. Strips I can do a very clean job of C.F. install.

See the (3) CF running left to right. Those were installed with epoxy unlike the replacement CF tube where I used Gorilla glue.

To keep the flat C.F. Strips that clean is a huge pain in the butt but it is do-able, time consuming, uses a bunch of paper towels and some Isopropyl Alcohol, and regular packing tape....each short section/span gets those used on it over and over and ....over.

C.F. tube can never come out that clean looking. There are times where C.F. tubes must be used. There are places where C.F. tube must be used.

***When/if you guys see CF. Strips that are as wide as our wing span (well over 24"); buy as many as you can while you can. (usually at large fly in events).

Gryphon
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
Old Jul 03, 2010, 04:38 PM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,346 Posts
Mopar and Gryphon:
Very impressed with the effort you are putting into this!!!!!!
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx
Old Jul 03, 2010, 05:50 PM
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Joined Sep 2007
2,366 Posts
[QUOTE=moparmyway;15459207]......You can use whatever epoxy you like, I find "Z-Foam" finishing epoxy to be perfect for appearance coverings. It will slightly discolor your paint, but when it cures..............you get a VERY slick surface. This brings up a great point. Strength is something different from looks epoxy wise. You can add some powder (bathroom) to your epoxy for a much stronger finish, one that doesnt crack on impact as easily.......QUOTE]

Mopar,
Would you mind "spelling" something out for me please?

What is the trigger point for you that drives your decision to go from a plain epoxy coating of the underside of your Strykers to the next step of using epoxy and a light fibreglass cloth?

Thank you in advance!

Regards
Peter
Peter M is offline Find More Posts by Peter M
Old Jul 03, 2010, 06:54 PM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post
Mopar,
Would you mind "spelling" something out for me please?

What is the trigger point for you that drives your decision to go from a plain epoxy coating of the underside of your Strykers to the next step of using epoxy and a light fibreglass cloth?

Thank you in advance!

Regards
Peter
1. Weight
(If you dont care about weight and are using it for stiffness and strength, go for the heavier glass. If you just need some extra strength and as little weight as possible, you only paint on epoxy. There is ALOT of ground in between and lots of weights of glass cloth to choose from)

2. How much strength do I want in that weight ?
(You must decide if you wish any additives to be added or not)
Old Jul 03, 2010, 08:40 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,796 Posts
Do you suggest I go with the the same CF layout as the pic of the neu energy battery?

I really want to go with strip if possible across the motor mount.

I was thinking strip all the way around accept for the two tubes I take out, I would replace with 5mm cf tubes.

What do you think?

Thanks for all of the info, pics...
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Jul 03, 2010, 08:44 PM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,991 Posts
The bend CF is difficult to install and get even. Then it flies funny in flight and just doesnt want to seem to ever run straight, like you are allways changing trims..................at least on my builds...............so I stopped building the bent ones and do CF like this for BASIC strengthening

Post #10 starts it off
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8867370/tm.htm
Old Jul 03, 2010, 10:39 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,796 Posts
I notice that yours is a bit dfferent from Gryphons.

I also notice that there is no cf in front of the elevons.

I think I will draw one up based on the pics of both and post it, see what you think.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Jul 03, 2010, 11:20 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,842 Posts
johnnyrocco123,

You should not worry about mine versus Mopar's, or my old experiment versus new, Mopar's old experiment versus new etc....

You should worry about sketching up your own.

Had you listened to me when I told you to draw up a sketch of what you intend to do and post it before you add more C.F. then you would not have added C.F. in the "WRONG" places as you did on your last go around.

For the final time you need to connect your C.F. together.

More than one person has said that to you. You don't listen then keep complaining about Flutter and control issues.

It seems a bit frustrating. I want to have no part of that topic (was mentioned in a PM recently)....plenty of others can help and have tried to help.

Post a sketch of your plane's current C.F. and draw in what you intend to do....then give time for folks to give you feed back....then and only then go ahead and do it.

If next round does not work for you….start a new build and build more accurately and more precisely.
Some folks have had to do that in past and their next build incorporating the new things that they learned along with more accuracy and attention to detail served them well and ended up with great flying airframes.

Good luck

Gryph
Old Jul 04, 2010, 12:04 AM
Victim of C.D.O.
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcteryxxx View Post
Was planning to use Gary's 36mm. However the 3648 is actually 37mm OD, so the only way to make it work is to reposition the shaft and make it an outboarder...
Arc,
Here's how I have everything mounted with the big outrunner and 6S-3300 batteries. Like I said earlier, it balances 3/8" ahead of the stock CG points.

You can always hang your outrunner off the back of the Custom RC mount. It has a nice flat mounting surface for the face of the outrunner. You're correct that flipping the shaft will be required, as the motor pulls air in through the mounting hole end and blows it out the bell end. I just made a new shaft for mine with a piece of 5mm stock and left it long enough to stick out both ends so I can put the motor in my heli. The shaft is secured with a 5mm collar. A T-Rex 450 main shaft would make a nice motor shaft if you decide to make your own.
murdnunoc is offline Find More Posts by murdnunoc
Old Jul 04, 2010, 01:17 AM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdnunoc View Post
Arc,
Here's how I have everything mounted with the big outrunner and 6S-3300 batteries. Like I said earlier, it balances 3/8" ahead of the stock CG points.

You can always hang your outrunner off the back of the Custom RC mount. It has a nice flat mounting surface for the face of the outrunner. You're correct that flipping the shaft will be required, as the motor pulls air in through the mounting hole end and blows it out the bell end. I just made a new shaft for mine with a piece of 5mm stock and left it long enough to stick out both ends so I can put the motor in my heli. The shaft is secured with a 5mm collar. A T-Rex 450 main shaft would make a nice motor shaft if you decide to make your own.
Thanks a lot, man!
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx
Old Jul 04, 2010, 02:08 AM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,842 Posts
murdnunoc,

You do some very impressive work.

Let me quote Mopar (from a phone call a few months back):

"murdnunoc can build."

He does not easily say that about people.

Gryphon
Old Jul 04, 2010, 02:37 AM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,842 Posts
DX8

http://spektrumrc.com/Products/ProdD...tm_content=DX8

Also see the next two tabs on that same page

It can have Telemetry data on Battery Voltage, RPM, Temp, and Signal strength.

Data Interface

Gryphon
Last edited by GryphonRCU; Jul 04, 2010 at 02:47 AM.
Old Jul 04, 2010, 03:29 AM
USA
Joined Oct 2005
1,004 Posts
Hi guys, finally got a break in the weather to test out my new 808 mini-cam and Samsung TL110.
Hope you likes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjHnpw1rA0E
cdebaca is offline Find More Posts by cdebaca