HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 15, 2010, 11:40 AM
flypiggyfly...ya ya
USA, WI, Sturgeon Bay
Joined Apr 2009
116 Posts
Thanks to Klique and Murdnunoc and all for getting me started on this project. This is obviously not going to be a slouch and "yes" I am going to make it stiff. I was in the composites field for many years so I will come up with a stiff light weight package with balsa or possibly hollow carbon elevons. I think that some pictures will be taken of this project. Thanks again for the boost! John the original popcorn guy

Murdnunoc, so far I have:

Hitec HS-82mg servos
Nue 1110-2.5Y Motor
CC Phoenix 80 ESC

I do have (2) NeuEnergy 3S 2500 25/50C
also have (2) TP Pro Power 2S 3850 30/60C

Not sure if the batteries are going to work...
wizzinbya is offline Find More Posts by wizzinbya
Last edited by wizzinbya; Jun 15, 2010 at 03:11 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2010, 02:10 PM
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Jun 2005
1,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbucher View Post
Sure! It's in the right ball park for a Stryker... Start with a 6x4 APC Sport prop. If you can't get one of those, then get a 6x4 APC E prop. (the sport one will be better though).
Thanks for the reply CJ! Can anyone give me an estimated speed for this guy on a 3s? Not sure if it's made to handle 4-5s.
Hornetnz is offline Find More Posts by Hornetnz
Last edited by Hornetnz; Jun 15, 2010 at 02:16 PM.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 04:34 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,644 Posts
I'd say between 80 - 90 mph is possible...

I'm running a Turnigy 2835-2700 kv motor with a 6x4 sport prop on 3s. I did clock it at 90mph.

The Turnigy motor is close to the motor you have in rpm. With a 25 amp limit, I wouldn't try 4 or 5s batteries... You'll just cook it.
cjbucher is offline Find More Posts by cjbucher
Old Jun 15, 2010, 07:27 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Wizzinbyya,
For a really fun 4S setup, you could run your pair of 2S 3850 batteries with a series adapter for a 4S 3850 setup.

Or if you're into serious RPM, run the 3S 2500mah pair in series and your Neu could be run on 6S if you keep the prop small, like the 6x4 APC Sport that CK suggested. It'll take every bit of that 6" prop's aerodynamic power to push the STryker over 130mph, but you might make it. 6.5" and 7" props really have an easier time overcoming the Stryker's drag at higher speeds.

The best setup will always depend on what kind of flying you like to do and how hard you want to push your equipment.

4S lets you run your current batteries and gives a great high performance sport flyer with awesome climbing.

5S will be your best speed with a good balance of pitch speed for drag race runs and decent thrust for launches and climbing.

6S lets you run current batteries with good speed and tons of fun noise!
murdnunoc is offline Find More Posts by murdnunoc
Old Jun 15, 2010, 07:55 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,880 Posts
Switch2403,

Thanks for the comments....there are many folks on this thread and on RCU that have good amount of experience......together we can solve any issue.

We can all learn from each other and provide support to each other.

Team work.

Peter M,

Yes, in that old picture I was trying an experiment.
In a previous build I had noticed a nasty wave going through the wing as I gave up elevator input....Plywood elevons hinged on top (my first wooden elevons ever) so there was a big gap during up elevator input causing all kinds of nasty things…I will never hinge elevons on top again…..hinges in middle works better……
As I switched to placing hinge in middle (few years ago), I learned about taping the hinge line….but that info was useless on my build because no air molecules could pass through my perfect/tight hinge line...(pics on part 6, page 9).

My future build will get Kid’s wipers.

With that mod in pic #12, I figured the wing would not have same issue on flutter/wave even if it wanted to....LOL....I was right.
That wing could fly 110 MPH with ease…but switching to 4S would then require down elevator and some Aileron input too…..stock elevons can only be pushed so far.

Those are the 0.177" thin C.F. strips....24" on each wing (in 6 pieces). 2 of them came in 1 package.....some of those short strips bottomed out on top of C.F. tubes and I was very lucky that those ones barely fit all the way in the wing.

I'm not going to make that a recommendation to anyone, but together with beefed up T.E. those short strips sure helped stiffen the wing and stabilize the T.E.

Separately:
*** For VERY high speed flight and no glassing, having only 1 main C.F. from left to right is not enough...that will delay when the wing will snap in flight....2 C.F. left to right is minimum, 3 of them is a bit of overkill, depends on speeds involved.

Gryphon
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
Last edited by GryphonRCU; Jun 15, 2010 at 08:03 PM.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 08:09 PM
USA
Joined Oct 2005
1,004 Posts
Stryker hat cam

Hi guys, finally got some video of my Stryker up!
First time filming from a camera mounted to my hat.
Still loving this airframe,I fly whenever I can.
Hope you guys like.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iIWEKc7aEU
cdebaca is offline Find More Posts by cdebaca
Old Jun 15, 2010, 09:41 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,880 Posts
cdebaca,

That was way cool. You did a great job with the cam.

I look forward to seeing all of your future videos.

Peter M,
When I said:
“The cat jumped in and out of the bag a few times already....actually there has been more than 1 cat jumping in and out of the bag(s).

Should have been looking closer in past. ”

I was referring to the multiple hints given by Mopar. I did not referencing any specific speed.

Gryphon
Old Jun 15, 2010, 09:46 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GryphonRCU View Post
Switch2403,

Thanks for the comments....there are many folks on this thread and on RCU that have good amount of experience......together we can solve any issue.

We can all learn from each other and provide support to each other.

Team work.

Peter M,

Yes, in that old picture I was trying an experiment.
In a previous build I had noticed a nasty wave going through the wing as I gave up elevator input....Plywood elevons hinged on top (my first wooden elevons ever) so there was a big gap during up elevator input causing all kinds of nasty things…I will never hinge elevons on top again…..hinges in middle works better……
As I switched to placing hinge in middle (few years ago), I learned about taping the hinge line….but that info was useless on my build because no air molecules could pass through my perfect/tight hinge line...(pics on part 6, page 9).

My future build will get Kid’s wipers.

With that mod in pic #12, I figured the wing would not have same issue on flutter/wave even if it wanted to....LOL....I was right.
That wing could fly 110 MPH with ease…but switching to 4S would then require down elevator and some Aileron input too…..stock elevons can only be pushed so far.

Those are the 0.177" thin C.F. strips....24" on each wing (in 6 pieces). 2 of them came in 1 package.....some of those short strips bottomed out on top of C.F. tubes and I was very lucky that those ones barely fit all the way in the wing.

I'm not going to make that a recommendation to anyone, but together with beefed up T.E. those short strips sure helped stiffen the wing and stabilize the T.E.

Separately:
*** For VERY high speed flight and no glassing, having only 1 main C.F. from left to right is not enough...that will delay when the wing will snap in flight....2 C.F. left to right is minimum, 3 of them is a bit of overkill, depends on speeds involved.

Gryphon

I would like to see a pic of the recommended cf setup without glassing (specific positioning of left/right cf). I am hell bent on not glassing but I am also determined to hit 140-150mph when I get a build that can handle it. My current 4S stryker flutters like crazy and it's at 120mph. A-frame of 5.3mm CF, 2 coats of polycrylic and it looks and sounds like it is struggling to stay together. Pisses me off!!!!!
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Jun 15, 2010, 10:07 PM
warranty expired
Central Ohio
Joined Nov 2007
1,676 Posts
Thanks to all who responded to my query's regarding esc capacitors and the turnigy 85 amp esc. Good discussion and info!
NOTAR 600 is offline Find More Posts by NOTAR 600
Old Jun 15, 2010, 10:28 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,880 Posts
johnnyrocco123,

I'm working on same exact thing right now...when I finalize it, I will post.

It has or it will have 3 CF going left to right.

I have not planned all of the short CF pieces that I want to use in between the (3) main CF pieces above...some will be diagonal.

(2) more CF each going from a wing tip to the middle of rear CF which runs left to right...at least as close as possible to that center area.

The two stock rods were replaced with CF tubes.

Two long CF tubes will get skewered into fuse from behind nose piece. (15"-18" max range if installed with large angle to nose)
One in lower left, one in lower right. They will run straight back or a bit diagonal

Good luck in your speed search....

Gryphon
Last edited by GryphonRCU; Jun 15, 2010 at 10:42 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 01:28 AM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
5,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdebaca View Post
Hi guys, finally got some video of my Stryker up!
First time filming from a camera mounted to my hat.
Still loving this airframe,I fly whenever I can.
Hope you guys like.
I like !!!!
May I suggest that you enable the "brake" option on your ESC. I see from your video that your prop was still making noise as you landed, the taller grass saves your shaft from a beatin. When you run a brake, the prop doesnt windmill easily, and you get a chance to see the prop and bump in several times on a relatively slow, light build.

I tried a camera attached to my hat yesterday, the video aint too bad, here is the maiden..............................ps, not 1 click of trim was needed, thats the first time that ever happened to me !!!!!

Had to run a 3s2200 battery (from just under 6oz to just over 6.5oz)(different manufacturers and different "C" ratings)
MicroDan 2900kv "ChippedProp special"
APC 6x4 Sport prop

At full throttle on the straight runs, I started using aileron to counter the death spiral, and on a slight dive at full throttle, it was corkscrewing down. The airframe RTF (without a battery) came in at just over 16 oz and there isnt any CF or wood anywhere. With a small 2200 battery this was UNDER 22oz in the air.

Controlls were crisp and precise, as they should be in a Stryker. Having the servos out firther to the wing tips really helps with the elevon deflections, but I think the hinges I added really helped move them easier.

Hope it aint too boring for ya !!!!
Lightweight Build maiden.wmv (4 min 20 sec)
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
Old Jun 16, 2010, 02:11 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmyway View Post
I like !!!!
May I suggest that you enable the "brake" option on your ESC. I see from your video that your prop was still making noise as you landed, the taller grass saves your shaft from a beatin. When you run a brake, the prop doesnt windmill easily, and you get a chance to see the prop and bump in several times on a relatively slow, light build.

I tried a camera attached to my hat yesterday, the video aint too bad, here is the maiden..............................ps, not 1 click of trim was needed, thats the first time that ever happened to me !!!!!

Had to run a 3s2200 battery (from just under 6oz to just over 6.5oz)(different manufacturers and different "C" ratings)
MicroDan 2900kv "ChippedProp special"
APC 6x4 Sport prop

At full throttle on the straight runs, I started using aileron to counter the death spiral, and on a slight dive at full throttle, it was corkscrewing down. The airframe RTF (without a battery) came in at just over 16 oz and there isnt any CF or wood anywhere. With a small 2200 battery this was UNDER 22oz in the air.

Controlls were crisp and precise, as they should be in a Stryker. Having the servos out firther to the wing tips really helps with the elevon deflections, but I think the hinges I added really helped move them easier.

Hope it aint too boring for ya !!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW2ZMYEKd_Q

Ok, a definite improvement. Now lets get one of those super fast strykers on the hat cam. If I were there, I would be standing in the middle of that field with cam, as you fly 5 feet over my head at 175 mph. I might even climb that tower and get some fly-by action from up there.

I love the tower, it's your trademark.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 02:12 AM
Not again!!!!!!!
Dallas, Texas
Joined Apr 2010
103 Posts
[QUOTE=moparmyway;15329033]I like !!!!

Seemed like a well deserved nice calm flight for ya... It was unusual to see the familiar tower, the camera actually moving, and being able to see almost 100% of the flight. Nice job

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________________________________________

Also I agree with johnny, give us some fast stuff!!!!!
Switch2403 is offline Find More Posts by Switch2403
Old Jun 16, 2010, 02:23 AM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
5,001 Posts
Thanks Dudes,
But you gotta remember, the fast ones cover HUGE amounts of ground in VERY little time. I will work on some more hat stuff, and get to King Lymey, but dont think that the "hat cam" will give the same view of King Lymey as it did of this light and SLOW build !!!

I doubt that anyone could climb that tower before the coppers come...........this is VERY private land, and the State Police, County police, and State Parks Police are everywhere just waiting for a Dude like Johnny to come by and take away their boring day !!!! Every time I go there, at least 2 or 3 different coppers stop by and ID me and check over my trunk as I fly. All 3 are headquartered RIGHT THERE !!!!

I definately wouldnt stand in the center of a field and fly over my own head @ over 150mph................let alone someone elses. I have seen WAY too many Strykers auger into the ground on low high speed passes, stuff happens fast in low and fast passes, crosswinds, sudden drops in altitude (even 1 foot could mean disaster), etc........
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
Old Jun 16, 2010, 02:27 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmyway View Post
Thanks Dudes,
But you gotta remember, the fast ones cover HUGE amounts of ground in VERY little time. I will work on some more hat stuff, and get to King Lymey, but dont think that the "hat cam" will give the same view of King Lymey as it did of this light and SLOW build !!!

I doubt that anyone could climb that tower before the coppers come...........this is VERY private land, and the State Police, County police, and State Parks Police are everywhere just waiting for a Dude like Johnny to come by and take away their boring day !!!! Every time I go there, at least 2 or 3 different coppers stop by and ID me and check over my trunk as I fly. All 3 are headquartered RIGHT THERE !!!!

I definately wouldnt stand in the center of a field and fly over my own head @ over 150mph................let alone someone elses. I have seen WAY too many Strykers auger into the ground on low high speed passes, stuff happens fast in low and fast passes, crosswinds, sudden drops in altitude (even 1 foot could mean disaster), etc........
Well I didn't feel like including the fact that I would be wearing a football helmet, but.......